Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:30 pm

After I asked them, United rounded up over 2000 miles for me last year.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Houston713
Taking into account upcoming holiday flights, my son is going to end up with 24946 PQM for 2015. I suppose there is no change that United would round that off to an even 25,000, is there? If I had been thinking about it, we could have just booked a one stop instead of a non-stop for one of the three flights we will be taking for the rest of 2015 and easily bumped the miles up over 25,000, but I didn't think he was going to end up so close to the 25,000 target so I did not plan it that way. The spending limit is met also.
There is not "no chance" but it's not guaranteed.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
If I were you I'd spend the money on the annual fee for the Chase/UA Club Card instead. Many of the benefits of Silver -- the big exception being E+ access at T-24 -- plus UC access.
And/or E+ subscription, which provides E+ at booking not T-24 as sliver does.

Last edited by drewguy; Dec 17, 2015 at 3:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
After I asked them, United rounded up over 2000 miles for me last year.
Care to share what you think helped you?
High PQDs?
Long UA history?
Special circumstance preventing meeting the threashold?
Just happened?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
A few years ago, my wife was rounded up to 1K by a few thousand miles. Her PQDs were >$25,000, which I suspect was the reason why.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:43 pm

Hi folks, I'm newly registered but have been using this site for a while; hopefully someone can answer this question for me: Would it be possible for United to grant me 1k if I'm at $11,986 PQD? I have ~108k PQM, but due to an emergency and change in flights (original would have put me over $12k) I'm stuck in this situation on 17 Dec... do I HAVE to get another flight or can I call someone at United and squeak by?

***Never mind, found the other thread about this specifically... basically "maybe but don't count on it" seems to be the consensus...***

Last edited by gubber; Dec 17, 2015 at 4:02 pm Reason: resolved
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is some hope for those short -- but far from a guarantee.
See examples in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-only-pls.html.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mtftw
DEN

Can probably find a cheap flight but asking for time off work is another story :-(
Ouch. Denver! That's a tough one 'cuz there's no domestic r/t that can come to that many miles. What were you thinking when you decided to live smack dab in the middle of the country? Horrible place for mileage runs!

I did look around a bit; if it's something you're determined to do, your best bet might be to look for cheap fares in F that yield 1.5 PQM.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
85.5 PQS
51568 PQM
$10606 PQD
Over $28K spend on the MileagePlus card

Any shot at Plat or just a bridge too far at 4.5 PQS short? Not much of what I have read addresses the flyers short on PQS. Usually just PQM and PQD. I have $2300 booked for travel on UA in 2016 so far if showing a commitment helps.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Silk
85.5 PQS
51568 PQM
$10606 PQD
Over $28K spend on the MileagePlus card

Any shot at Plat or just a bridge too far at 4.5 PQS short? Not much of what I have read addresses the flyers short on PQS. Usually just PQM and PQD. I have $2300 booked for travel on UA in 2016 so far if showing a commitment helps.
If you are unable to modify existing travel (if any) to add segments, you might be offered an opportunity in Jan/ Feb 2016 to top up any additional segments (5 in this case) to make Plat. However, if you want to start the new year with Plat, you might have to spend some money on a segment run (premier accelerator wont let you buy segments)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
$293 PQDs short for 1K - United response to my plea

Thought I'd give it a shot.

Here's my email:

Dear United Mileage Plus,

After completing my 2015 flying, I find myself with 132,103 PQMs and $11,707 PQDs, $293 PQDs short of requalifying for 1K.

Could UA kindly requalify me for 1K for 2016 despite the $293 PQD deficit?

I've attached a screen shot of my 2015 results.

I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,

NWStu
UA response:

Hello Mr. NWstu,

We’re always glad to hear from MileagePlus® members like you. Thanks for writing.

We have just been advised that members will need to meet the published requirements for achieving their desired status level. MileagePlus may look at other factors when considering Premier status. Promotions are sometimes created to acknowledge those who did not meet the Premier qualifications and have demonstrated their support of United Airlines. Should your account be included in any such promotion, you will be notified by regular mail or email.

Any other exceptions are not reviewed until after year-end, please contact us in January.
I found a MCO-ORD-MCO with one hour layover for Sunday morning which gave me $296 PQMs. Didn't want to chance it.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Kept 1K with Call-in

Situation: I was 1K from 2010-2013 all economy, mostly international, half flights on *A since I go to places UA doesn't fly. In 2014, I traveled much less (family addition) and ended up at 48,500 PQMs (PQD was over $6k and my Explorer Card was over $35k for the year).

I called UA in January 2015 to see if I could be bumped to gold, so that I could retain my *G benefits because of all my international flying. Said I only flew less because I had my first kid and needed to be home more. Agent came right back and gave me 1K because of my past loyalty to UA. I didn't even ask for 1K. I did not receive the GPUs or RPUs, but did get to keep 1K.

So, past experience does play a role and a phone call or email to UA can't hurt your chances IMO.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Ouch. Denver! That's a tough one 'cuz there's no domestic r/t that can come to that many miles. What were you thinking when you decided to live smack dab in the middle of the country? Horrible place for mileage runs!

I did look around a bit; if it's something you're determined to do, your best bet might be to look for cheap fares in F that yield 1.5 PQM.
I kind of hosed myself - I didn't fly on UA until June of this year due to a change in employment and enrolled in a status match (to UA gold). I assumed it would take UA a little bit of time to start the status match but they activated it as of June 2, and I didn't fly until the end of July...

So, I met the requirements for Silver based on the abbreviated timeline of the status match (12.5PQM or 15 PQS + $1,500 PQD in 6 months) , but apparently since I was matched to Gold for the challenge there was no soft landing provision. Thus, no status.

I sent them an email, we'll see what happens. Not sure Silver is worth spending any money for a MR...might just bite the bullet and get an E+ subscription.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
May I join in?

I flew TG early last week and the 5,000 miles which put me to 1k are still not credited and surely won´t because of some ticket change issues.

So what happens if I am asking for credit after the 15 days period and this is not settled in 2015 but in 2016?

Risk it and hope for UAs good-will (if I need it?) or would you recommend a short return FRA-EWR?

Thanks,

F.R.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Care to share what you think helped you?
High PQDs?
Long UA history?
Special circumstance preventing meeting the threashold?
Just happened?
It came about because I had a bad experience with UA last xmas (2014) and after resolving it with the customer service person I asked about getting silver status. I was above the PQD marginally.

After a couple of weeks the agent came back to me and said they had managed to get me silver status.

If I had to guess I would say it was a combination of good agent and me putting forward a convincing arguement that I would use UA more if I had status plus already having a decent amount of 2015 travel planned when i made the request.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
May I join in?

I flew TG early last week and the 5,000 miles which put me to 1k are still not credited and surely won´t because of some ticket change issues.

So what happens if I am asking for credit after the 15 days period and this is not settled in 2015 but in 2016?

Risk it and hope for UAs good-will (if I need it?) or would you recommend a short return FRA-EWR?

Thanks,

F.R.
What was the ticket change issue? Sometimes you can request 'original routing credit' to get credit for the itinerary as originally ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.