Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA confusion between vegan and vegetarian concerning buy on board food

FA confusion between vegan and vegetarian concerning buy on board food

Old Dec 6, 15, 1:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alexandria, Va. USA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Posts: 1,492
FA confusion between vegan and vegetarian concerning buy on board food

Last month on a flight from SJO to EWR I inquired to purchase a snack. I was in the first row of economy. The menu pages had been torn from my in-flight magazine. I told the FA that I needed something vegan. She handed me a menu. She said i could have anything marked with a "V". However the symbol "V" indicates vegetarian, i told her. She told me vegan and vegetarian are the same.
I then asked to purchase a pack of the trail mix. She told me it had already sold out.
Since I was her third customer I find this hard to believe.

Last edited by Orion; Dec 6, 15 at 1:26 pm Reason: Typo
Orion is offline  
Old Dec 6, 15, 1:29 pm
  #2  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,423
Misconception of the difference between vegetarian and vegan is pretty common.

Also, I believe the SJO flight is double catered from EWR, so it's quite possible that all of the trail mix were sold out on the inbound flight.

Nonetheless, you should write in to customer service so feedback is provided.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Dec 6, 15, 1:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Posts: 2,728
IMO if your dietary requirements are rather specific and concerning you are probably better off being proactive and carrying your own vittles on board. The same advice has been given on FT many times to the kosher folks (or anyone else with special dietary restrictions) who occasionally find themselves in a similar situation.


SL
SunLover is offline  
Old Dec 6, 15, 3:08 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,499
Personally, the fact they have any vegetarian items, much less vegan, is a big improvement from the past.

FWIW, the more specific your dietary requirements, the more important it is to carry on your own food IMHO.
exerda is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 6:58 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Offline
Programs: No pride in status
Posts: 4,153
I have been a vegetarian most my life. Imposing ridiculous shades of V ness on airlines to me is a bit rich. I don't even complain if V isn't available and make do.
Allvest is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 8:14 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 44,544
This was a FA not a dietician. No reason for the FA to understand the fine nuances of the V's.

If you have special food needs of any kind, you should travel with food that suits your needs.
Often1 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 8:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CA
Programs: UA.AV
Posts: 69
Agreed. Some people are very hard to please and the early stages of a flight is hardly the best time to start making picky distinctions between vegan and vegetarian.
Cymbo is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 9:35 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 52
Doesn't Vegetarian you eat animal products but not meat. By that I mean eggs , cream , honey etc. And Vegan you do not eat ANYTHING from an animal so honey is not okay. ?
But even if I am very wrong. Why didn't the FA simply ask what do you like to eat and what you cannot eat? Being proactive is necessary in any service business. But in honesty you could have pre ordered a meal brought you own meal etc.
NinaThompson is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 9:42 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Miler, Marriott Gold
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Last month on a flight from SJO to EWR I inquired to purchase a snack. I was in the first row of economy. The menu pages had been torn from my in-flight magazine. I told the FA that I needed something vegan. She handed me a menu. She said i could have anything marked with a "V". However the symbol "V" indicates vegetarian, i told her. She told me vegan and vegetarian are the same.
I then asked to purchase a pack of the trail mix. She told me it had already sold out.
Since I was her third customer I find this hard to believe.
What outcome do you want of this post? Pages were missing from your magazine, you received a menu, they were sold out of "trail mix". Now what? It is intended to be funny, or am I missing something?
JerseyCityS is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 10:55 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alexandria, Va. USA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Posts: 1,492
The flight attendants are peddling food in the aisle and they should know something about what they are selling.
Orion is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 11:12 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,482
Originally Posted by NinaThompson View Post
Doesn't Vegetarian you eat animal products but not meat. By that I mean eggs, cream, honey etc.
Not necessarily. There are lacto-ovo vegetarians, and there are laco-vegetarians, and there are ovo-vegetarians, and several other "flavors" of vegetarianism.

Originally Posted by Orion View Post
The flight attendants are peddling food in the aisle and they should know something about what they are selling.
Do you expect the checkout person at the supermarket to know the ingredients in everything they sell, too?
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 11:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by NinaThompson View Post
Why didn't the FA simply ask what do you like to eat and what you cannot eat? Being proactive is necessary in any service business.
Even if the FA asked, what could he/she have done? It is not like there is a full kitchen with a chef that can cook to order or specially prepared a meal based on customer's request. I doubt FAs know the detailed ingredients of the pre-packaged meal to the level of OP's expectation.
CAPT Tee is offline  
Old Dec 7, 15, 11:47 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee View Post
Even if the FA asked, what could he/she have done? It is not like there is a full kitchen with a chef that can cook to order or specially prepared a meal based on customer's request. I doubt FAs know the detailed ingredients of the pre-packaged meal to the level of OP's expectation.

I did not even think of that
NinaThompson is offline  
Old Dec 8, 15, 12:04 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Posts: 4,040
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
The flight attendants are peddling food in the aisle and they should know something about what they are selling.
No that's why Technical support and customer service are 2 different departments (unless the company is super small).

Customer service is not there to support the product and explain. They are there to take care of your issues which excludes teaching you about an product, etc.
TennisNoob is offline  
Old Dec 8, 15, 12:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
The flight attendants are peddling food in the aisle and they should know something about what they are selling.
Let's try this again: if you have special dietary needs, bring your own grub. Then you don't have to depend on the culinary IQ of a flight attendant who has more pressing duties than catering to the special end of the bell curve.
mczlaw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: