Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA confusion between vegan and vegetarian concerning buy on board food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald

Last month on a flight from SJO to EWR I inquired to purchase a snack. I was in the first row of economy. The menu pages had been torn from my in-flight magazine. I told the FA that I needed something vegan. She handed me a menu. She said i could have anything marked with a "V". However the symbol "V" indicates vegetarian, i told her. She told me vegan and vegetarian are the same.
I then asked to purchase a pack of the trail mix. She told me it had already sold out.
Since I was her third customer I find this hard to believe.

Last edited by Orion; Dec 6, 2015 at 12:26 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Misconception of the difference between vegetarian and vegan is pretty common.

Also, I believe the SJO flight is double catered from EWR, so it's quite possible that all of the trail mix were sold out on the inbound flight.

Nonetheless, you should write in to customer service so feedback is provided.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
IMO if your dietary requirements are rather specific and concerning you are probably better off being proactive and carrying your own vittles on board. The same advice has been given on FT many times to the kosher folks (or anyone else with special dietary restrictions) who occasionally find themselves in a similar situation.

SL
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Personally, the fact they have any vegetarian items, much less vegan, is a big improvement from the past.

FWIW, the more specific your dietary requirements, the more important it is to carry on your own food IMHO.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended

I have been a vegetarian most my life. Imposing ridiculous shades of V ness on airlines to me is a bit rich. I don't even complain if V isn't available and make do.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This was a FA not a dietician. No reason for the FA to understand the fine nuances of the V's.

If you have special food needs of any kind, you should travel with food that suits your needs.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA.AV
Agreed. Some people are very hard to please and the early stages of a flight is hardly the best time to start making picky distinctions between vegan and vegetarian.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Doesn't Vegetarian you eat animal products but not meat. By that I mean eggs , cream , honey etc. And Vegan you do not eat ANYTHING from an animal so honey is not okay. ?
But even if I am very wrong. Why didn't the FA simply ask what do you like to eat and what you cannot eat? Being proactive is necessary in any service business. But in honesty you could have pre ordered a meal brought you own meal etc.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by Orion
Last month on a flight from SJO to EWR I inquired to purchase a snack. I was in the first row of economy. The menu pages had been torn from my in-flight magazine. I told the FA that I needed something vegan. She handed me a menu. She said i could have anything marked with a "V". However the symbol "V" indicates vegetarian, i told her. She told me vegan and vegetarian are the same.
I then asked to purchase a pack of the trail mix. She told me it had already sold out.
Since I was her third customer I find this hard to believe.
What outcome do you want of this post? Pages were missing from your magazine, you received a menu, they were sold out of "trail mix". Now what? It is intended to be funny, or am I missing something?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
The flight attendants are peddling food in the aisle and they should know something about what they are selling.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NinaThompson
Doesn't Vegetarian you eat animal products but not meat. By that I mean eggs, cream, honey etc.
Not necessarily. There are lacto-ovo vegetarians, and there are laco-vegetarians, and there are ovo-vegetarians, and several other "flavors" of vegetarianism.

The flight attendants are peddling food in the aisle and they should know something about what they are selling.
Do you expect the checkout person at the supermarket to know the ingredients in everything they sell, too?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NinaThompson
Why didn't the FA simply ask what do you like to eat and what you cannot eat? Being proactive is necessary in any service business.
Even if the FA asked, what could he/she have done? It is not like there is a full kitchen with a chef that can cook to order or specially prepared a meal based on customer's request. I doubt FAs know the detailed ingredients of the pre-packaged meal to the level of OP's expectation.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Even if the FA asked, what could he/she have done? It is not like there is a full kitchen with a chef that can cook to order or specially prepared a meal based on customer's request. I doubt FAs know the detailed ingredients of the pre-packaged meal to the level of OP's expectation.

I did not even think of that
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
No that's why Technical support and customer service are 2 different departments (unless the company is super small).

Customer service is not there to support the product and explain. They are there to take care of your issues which excludes teaching you about an product, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Let's try this again: if you have special dietary needs, bring your own grub. Then you don't have to depend on the culinary IQ of a flight attendant who has more pressing duties than catering to the special end of the bell curve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.