Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA confusion between vegan and vegetarian concerning buy on board food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA confusion between vegan and vegetarian concerning buy on board food

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Well, to meet (humorous typo you made on this word above) the strictest standards it would have to be both strict vegan and Jain compliant, each will eat things the other won't. It's a good idea, but I'm not going to castigate an airline that doesn't go this far.
If UA was worried about meeting the most restrictive version of veganism, they could just offer an empty box for sale.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
If UA was worried about meeting the most restrictive version of veganism, they could just offer an empty box for sale.
So long as the glue to hold the box together meets vegan requirements! No Elmers! Does that box come with a fork and knife, or a fork and scissors?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Well, to meet (humorous typo you made on this word above)
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I know it was a typo but I like the irony in it
Hahaha oops
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No reason for the FA to "educate" the OP that vegan and vegetarian are the same thing, either. It would seem reasonable to assume that the OP is familiar with what they are and what they aren't.
I could have read it that the FA was saying that the V on the menu implies it is both VEGT & VGN, if she was correct is another issue.

Pax on LAS-EWR was complaining about gluten free issues. I almost wanted to start complaining about people with unnecessary dietary restrictions they've self-diagnosed off misinformed Stay At Home Mom blogs.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Pax on LAS-EWR was complaining about gluten free issues. I almost wanted to start complaining about people with unnecessary dietary restrictions they've self-diagnosed off misinformed Stay At Home Mom blogs.
One of these days, I want to open a restaurant called "Extra Gluten".
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cbn42
..As mentioned, there are lots of different shades of vegetarianism. Therefore, by having a meal that meats the strictest standard (vegan), they can satisfy everyone's requirements with the minimum of complications.
Everyone? Fruitarians, especially non-hunting fruitarians and non-seed fruitarian Jains would be appalled by the 'destructive' and 'inconsidered' vegan lifestyle.

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I always wondered if Breatharians were a subset of vegans. I reckon the empty box filled with country-side air would meet (not meat) vegan standards.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NinaThompson
Doesn't Vegetarian you eat animal products but not meat. By that I mean eggs , cream , honey etc. And Vegan you do not eat ANYTHING from an animal so honey is not okay. ?
But even if I am very wrong. Why didn't the FA simply ask what do you like to eat and what you cannot eat? Being proactive is necessary in any service business. But in honesty you could have pre ordered a meal brought you own meal etc.
Even if the FA doesn't thoroughly understand the rules and fine points, doesn't anyone who hasn't been living under a rock know that vegan is more restrictive, so that every vegan is a vegetarian but not vice versa, implying that they're not the same?

Posted by a dedicated card carrying carnivore.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
doesn't anyone who hasn't been living under a rock know that vegan is more restrictive, so that every vegan is a vegetarian but not vice versa, implying that they're not the same?
No. Many things one person takes for granted are unknown to others. And set relationships like this are beyond the skill level of a great many people.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if the FA doesn't thoroughly understand the rules and fine points, doesn't anyone who hasn't been living under a rock know that vegan is more restrictive, so that every vegan is a vegetarian but not vice versa, implying that they're not the same?...
I'd say yes. I heard several definitions of the subset of vegans inside vegetarians. But from outside, the definitions are pretty much the same.

From practical experience I believe to observe that vegans have a need to mess with what other people eat and they have a statistical tendency to be evangelic about their beliefs whereas vegetarians leave you alone. I associate this pattern much more with what 'vegans' and 'vegetarians' are rather than the dietary subtleties.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weero
I'd say yes. I heard several definitions of the subset of vegans inside vegetarians. But from outside, the definitions are pretty much the same.

From practical experience I believe to observe that vegans have a need to mess with what other people eat and they have a statistical tendency to be evangelic about their beliefs whereas vegetarians leave you alone. I associate this pattern much more with what 'vegans' and 'vegetarians' are rather than the dietary subtleties.
Having lived through being laughed at for being vegetarian thirty years ago I can agree wholeheartedly. The last thing we need is a bunch of fanatics insisting on their certified caterpillar poop free salad leaves on an airplane. There is no need to impose ones lifestyle (belief or religion) on anyone, much less a service provider unless such service provider specializes in ones lifestyle needs. An airline specializes in flying people safely from a to b.

Look what the peanut allergy crowds have done. They managed to turn a whole civilization into peanut allergics. How do those people manage a trip to Asia? Maybe allergies magically disappear at the dateline.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
One of these days, I want to open a restaurant called "Extra Gluten".
The chef can shop here:
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Orion
in which I don't know where to shop for veggie snacks.
I thought you was a Vegan not a Veggie (Vegetarian) ?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
..Look what the peanut allergy crowds have done. They managed to turn a whole civilization into peanut allergics. How do those people manage a trip to Asia? Maybe allergies magically disappear at the dateline.
I never get that either. Especially the "airborne peanut" crowd .. I am allergic to peanuts ... when I eat them, not when I see someone else eating them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.