Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying GF from IAD to LHR - what is the best lounge I have access to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

I am assuming it is the GF lounge in both IAD and LHR but considering I have access to other Star Alliance lounges, just checking to see what my options were. Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
LH lounge at IAD, gate B52 (i think there's another gate that's closer, but B52 is easy to remember).

give yourself 20 minutes to get from there to your gate in C/D. if you have a D gate, take a left out of the lounge and walk (a loooong way) until you see the moon buggy stop on your right.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
The LH Lounge is pretty nice, plus they have showers. The UA GF lounge in IAD is nice, and not really crowded as well.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
UA GF Lounge has better wines, champagne and other beverages and better food selection. Although LH Senator Lounge is very good as well.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I was comped to the UA GF lounge at IAD a few weeks ago. It's pleasant and quiet. The wines are a major step up from the UC and the food selection looked nice but I didn't partake.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
While I love LH lounges, the GF lounge at IAD is extremely good with great food/drink selections. A world apart from the regular UA Lounges. Also from a location perspective, you will be in better shape in the UA GF lounge than the LH lounge all the way in terminal B.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I agree with most here. The GFL in IAD is pretty good, not crowded, and better than the LH lounge.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I disagree that the UA GFL has better food then LH Senator lounge, unless something has changed recently.

My visits to GFL saw only plastic-wrapped dried out sandwiches and other cold items. The only hot item was a chafing dish of sad-looking SAMs Club puff pastry pieces. They did have some shrimp cocktail, but it wasn't very tasty.

Last couple times I was at LH at IAD, multiple hot items (soup, stew, potatoes, etc) as well as high quality sandwich and salad options. Much better food options overall. It does get pretty crowded in the evenings, however.

the GFL is usually quiet. They somehow still have self-serve bar, regardless of local liquor rules. It is very close to Intl departure gates. If food isn't a big concern (which typically isn't for me prior to long haul in First) it is a fine place to hang out.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I disagree that the UA GFL has better food then LH Senator lounge, unless something has changed recently.

My visits to GFL saw only plastic-wrapped dried out sandwiches and other cold items. The only hot item was a chafing dish of sad-looking SAMs Club puff pastry pieces. They did have some shrimp cocktail, but it wasn't very tasty.

Last couple times I was at LH at IAD, multiple hot items (soup, stew, potatoes, etc) as well as high quality sandwich and salad options. Much better food options overall. It does get pretty crowded in the evenings, however.

the GFL is usually quiet. They somehow still have self-serve bar, regardless of local liquor rules. It is very close to Intl departure gates. If food isn't a big concern (which typically isn't for me prior to long haul in First) it is a fine place to hang out.
+1
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I would second most of what is said above. You might want to try both, though the LH lounges are more of a hike at A/B versus the UA GFL in C/D. I think the food thing is also a bit subjective. More choice at LH, but I like the chilled shrimp at UA. Don't bother with any of the other UA lounges. However, neither holds a candle to the BA Concorde Room at IAD or UA's GFL at LHR
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I would second most of what is said above. You might want to try both, though the LH lounges are more of a hike at A/B versus the UA GFL in C/D. I think the food thing is also a bit subjective. More choice at LH, but I like the chilled shrimp at UA. Don't bother with any of the other UA lounges. However, neither holds a candle to the BA Concorde Room at IAD or UA's GFL at LHR
Hmmm, UA GFL at LHR. I have never been to that. Need to check it out the next time. The UA club itself @ LHR is better than any in the US.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Hmmm, UA GFL at LHR. I have never been to that. Need to check it out the next time. The UA club itself @ LHR is better than any in the US.
Can attest that this is the best lounge in UA's portfolio. In fact, the only better *A lounges I have been to are the LH FCT/FCLs (with the ducks tipping the scales obviously ). Maybe someday the rest of the GFLs will have sit-down restaurant style dining...
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by goodeats21

I was also surprised to read the positive posts about the IAD GFL. While it is a step up from the normal clubs, it's not nothing to write home about.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LatinAmericaFlyer
While it is a step up from the normal clubs, it's not nothing to write home about.
Agreed, but I also would not write home about the LH lounge.

Some decent snacks, even warm ones, but I would not go out of my way to be there.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by LatinAmericaFlyer
I was also surprised to read the positive posts about the IAD GFL. While it is a step up from the normal clubs, it's not nothing to write home about.
That is because the UA GFL at IAD is really just on a par with a typical business class lounge of one of the international carriers, hence the comparison to the LH business lounge at IAD. Personally, my favorite business class lounge at IAD is AirFrance for the French bread sandwiches. I understand they recently became priority pass, but don't know if that means they have different food and drink then (which is what the BA lounge does). I've never been to Etihad or VA lounges, but the BA Concorde Room at IAD is the best lounge there I have been to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.