Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why don't we simply trust what United says?

Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:13 am
Original Poster

The thread reporting rumors of changes to the Million Mile Flyer program was closed, shortly after the rumor was denied by UA Insider and a poster commented: "Why don't we simply trust what UA Insider says?"

While I have nothing against UA Insider, I found it laughable the notion that one should "simply trust" a statement made by a representative of an airline that successfully argued in court that they are not legally required to live up to any promise made in relation to Mileage Plus or the million mile program.

At the time, a representative of United had posted similar statements on the United web site. Promises that million mile flyers would continue to receive their benefits as they always had were later broken and United ultimately went to court to argue for their legal right to break any promise they made.

What United argued in court is best summarized by the dissenting opinion of Circuit Judge David Hamilton, who wrote:

United’s defense here is that the airline’s very best customers—its Million Mile Flyers—should have known better than to believe United’s promise of “lifetime” benefits. This defense amounts to a confession of consumer fraud. United could not—honestly and legally—promise “lifetime” benefits while reserving the right to cancel its promise at any time and for any reason. While federal law protects airlines from state consumer fraud laws, our court should not, as a matter of contract law, endorse this deception. I respectfully dissent.
While there may have been a time when one could "simply trust" what United said, clearly that is no longer the case. Today, long-term loyalty to any airline seems both foolish and naive.

United has made many negative changes in recent years, but the worst change of all by far is that one can no longer trust what they say.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
+1. Their motto is "what have you done for me lately?" But they are just responding to market forces. If it doesn't cost them anything they will keep doing it. After all, lots of lifers are dead money whose heavy flying days are over, especially the ones who rely on that status..
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
There are no plans to change the Million Miler program.

-UA Insider
It took 3 days for this. I will stick with this message, because I trust UA. Perhaps Willis Tower is wired for slow internet. This statement should have been released day one when this "rumor" hit FT.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kettle1
This statement should have been released day one when this "rumor" hit FT.

Yeah, because there's nothing better for UA to do then monitor websites all day addressing the random rumors which crop up all the time.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by sbm12

Yeah, because there's nothing better for UA to do then monitor websites all day addressing the random rumors which crop up all the time.
I thought that was part of the "UA Insider" portfolio. It wouldn't take "all day" monitoring. This rumor was on FT for three days and also hit some of the major blogs.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Believe UA? Seriously? Why?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
okay.. didn't notice thread was closed. I'm guessing removed in it's entirety .. unless I'm having a senior moment. I suppose UA Insider request.. but then there was no update in the Official UA Insider update to ensure recording of the official announcement that no change would occur to the MM program?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JetAway
I thought that was part of the "UA Insider" portfolio. It wouldn't take "all day" monitoring. This rumor was on FT for three days and also hit some of the major blogs.
Blogs are for talking heads generally devoid of content. I would like FT to out the one who started this rumor so that we know the user and can consider future posts accordingly. Pm sent.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Blogs are for talking heads generally devoid of content. I would like FT to out the one who started this rumor so that we know the user and can consider future posts accordingly. Pm sent.
Rather derogatory and vindictive don't you think? In any event, I doubt that "outing" is something FT would do. Not only a privacy issue but would discourage a lot of people from posting, rumors or not.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
It's also quite possible that this "rumour" is true.

Airlines often deny rumours and UA is no different. I'm sure the forum could come up with a multitude of examples.

US claimed PHL-TLV was one of their most profitable routes - until they shut it down and revealed that it actually lost money from day 1.
QR claimed they were not joining oneworld even as late as the day before the official announcement.
Can't think of any UA off the top of my head but I'm sure there are many.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Continental used to value FT. Now apparently, there's a need to use twitter to monitor and respond to consumer issues. ..
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Outing what? A rumor that was clearly labeled as such? Laughable.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by DWFI
Airlines often deny rumours and UA is no different.
Like all businesses.

Good point, OP. In particular, by closing the thread, FlyerTalk has acted as if it's simply a mouthpiece for the airline management. The rumor may or may not have had any credibility (though anyone paying attention would expect an eventual devaluation). The UA rep here has provided some good information, but is certainly not an argument-ender for every issue.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
There was a similarly detailed rumor posted once about UA tying passenger spend to status. A year later, PQD's were introduced.

I hope people aren't discouraged from posting (and clearly labeling) rumors just because this one was denied. For now.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DWFI
It's also quite possible that this "rumour" is true.

Airlines often deny rumours and UA is no different. I'm sure the forum could come up with a multitude of examples.

US claimed PHL-TLV was one of their most profitable routes - until they shut it down and revealed that it actually lost money from day 1.
QR claimed they were not joining oneworld even as late as the day before the official announcement.
Can't think of any UA off the top of my head but I'm sure there are many.
Yes, we should always believe what corporate spokespeople say about future policy, just like when Disney said that they weren't replacing IT workers with cheaper foreign H1B Visa contractors-remember this story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us...ents.html?_r=0

Looks like Iger, Nanny Bloomberg, and Murdoch may get their hats handed to them on this one though:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/24/news...kers-h1b-eeoc/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.