Need card to enter LH lounge?

Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Need card to enter LH lounge?

On Monday morning I checked in at the LH Star Alliance desk in BCN for a flight to IAD via FRA. The second half of a roundtrip ticket. Only after security did I notice that my status was not on my boarding docs.
Once at the gate I asked the agent to enter my number and print new boarding docs. He said he couldn't unless I could produce my UA card which I had left at home. I told him I could recite my card number in four languages. Still no go. He told me they have no way to verify that I have status without the card. I turned up the volume and one of two other agents entered my number and gave me the docs with my status.
I had a five hour layover at FRA and tried to enter the LH Business Lounge near my Z gate and got the same treatment. "You must show your card to enter. We have no way to verify your number". I turned up the volume again and a different lounge lady entered my number and allowed me entry.
I will be more careful next time to have my UA card with me.
So much for seamless Star Alliance travel. So hard to believe that LH and UA computers don't talk to each other.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You should ALWAYS expect that your MP card is required when entering partner lounges. Card be physical or electronic in most cases.
For LH it is hit or miss but the past 3-4 visits I did not need to show my card at all. For LX for example, you always have to show your card.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Orion
On Monday morning I checked in at the LH Star Alliance desk in BCN for a flight to IAD via FRA. The second half of a roundtrip ticket. Only after security did I notice that my status was not on my boarding docs.
Once at the gate I asked the agent to enter my number and print new boarding docs. He said he couldn't unless I could produce my UA card which I had left at home. I told him I could recite my card number in four languages. Still no go. He told me they have no way to verify that I have status without the card. I turned up the volume and one of two other agents entered my number and gave me the docs with my status.
I had a five hour layover at FRA and tried to enter the LH Business Lounge near my Z gate and got the same treatment. "You must show your card to enter. We have no way to verify your number". I turned up the volume again and a different lounge lady entered my number and allowed me entry.
I will be more careful next time to have my UA card with me.
So much for seamless Star Alliance travel. So hard to believe that LH and UA computers don't talk to each other.
You don't need to carry your card around if you have a smart phone. It you have one then with the United App you can pull up an electronic version of your card which will suffice.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Orion
... So much for seamless Star Alliance travel. So hard to believe that LH and UA computers don't talk to each other.
LH has access to the information -- just look at you LH BP that normally have you *G status but certain LH agents prefer the old rules (changed 2+ years ago) which required the card -- much more orderly.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:48 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by ani90
You don't need to carry your card around if you have a smart phone. It you have one then with the United App you can pull up an electronic version of your card which will suffice.
The whole requirement is stupid.

They accept the virtual card on the phone app? I could just show them a photoshopped screenshot of a card, how would they know?

Why would you not trust what's in the system of record sitting in front of the agent. Silly.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
....Why would you not trust what's in the system of record sitting in front of the agent. Silly.
Some systems show status at booking.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TA
The whole requirement is stupid.

They accept the virtual card on the phone app? I could just show them a photoshopped screenshot of a card, how would they know?

Why would you not trust what's in the system of record sitting in front of the agent. Silly.
Don't they still verify the number on the computer?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole thing may be stupid, but the lounge access requirements expressly permit the operating carrier to require a card or other proof (which is determined by the carrier). No different for OW.

LH is known for this and you should either carry your card when traveling internationally (or when you want to use a non-UA *A lounge) or use the electronic version from the app. Your choice.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
The whole thing may be stupid, but the lounge access requirements expressly permit the operating carrier to require a card or other proof (which is determined by the carrier). No different for OW.

LH is known for this and you should either carry your card when traveling internationally (or when you want to use a non-UA *A lounge) or use the electronic version from the app. Your choice.
The Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy does state
As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
So strictly speaking the agent was correct in this case BUT there have been occasional reports of LH agents wanting the card regardless of the BP.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I donno... Would you walk into a restaurant or retail store and expect them to accept a recited credit card number as payment?

SunLover
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:39 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by SunLover
I donno... Would you walk into a restaurant or retail store and expect them to accept a recited credit card number as payment?
If they're willing to accept a picture of the credit card number, that's just as dumb.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I have had LH BPs consistently show my *G status on revenue tickets, but not display my status on MP awards. On awards, I've needed the card.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
As a former HON and current Senator, I can tell you that at most lounges LH requires everyone, including their own elites, to show both boarding pass and card.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PVDProf
On awards, I've needed the card.
Indeed. Apparently partners (AC at YVR) didn't get the memo that UA no longer awards privileges of sponsor who has premier status.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've rarely needed the card in the last couple of years. Even AC at YYZ, which used to ask me everytime, doesn't much anymore. And I've been into many partner lounges.

That said, I always have it with me in case I need it. The card is small enough to carry fairly easily in your wallet (or pretty much anywhere). So no point in not carrying it, in the worst case, it stays there and doesn't come out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.