Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I be hesitant to book an award or upgrades for family / friends?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

UA has no policy preventing MP members from using the miles or upgrades for family members or friends or even strangers AS LONG as you do not seek compensation (cash or barter) for those gifts. It is best if you brief the recipient that this is a gift and no compensation was provide -- provide a letter may be good idea. Gifting to strangers has the risk if they are challenge they may be unable to properly explained how they received this gift, potential create an impression it was not a "gift"
Print Wikipost

Should I be hesitant to book an award or upgrades for family / friends?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:10 pm

Buying other people tickets with your miles is permitted and commonplace.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would like to redeem a roundtrip flight for a deserving friend. She works hard, but is barely making ends meet in a high cost of living city.

Is UA going to shut down my account and confiscate my miles? Given my friend and I don't share the same name and address, would UA perceive this as an attempt to profit off my miles?

Redemption would be the only way for her to accept. She would not accept a cash ticket from me.
This is absolutely fine -- do not worry about it.

The letter of the law is that you can book travel for whomever you wish, as long as you are not receiving any form of compensation for it. The actual ground truth is that unless you deal with complete strangers and thereby end up with a United agent as a counterparty to a quid-pro-quo transaction, or have some wildly strange pattern of booking (e.g. booking travel for 50 different people over six months with no apparent connection to each other), you will not hear anything from United. People book awards and give upgrades to family, friends, and co-workers all the time.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would like to redeem a roundtrip flight for a deserving friend...would UA perceive this as an attempt to profit off my miles?
Originally Posted by threeoh
Buying other people tickets with your miles is permitted and commonplace.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's commonplace, but it's definitely allowed. I just used miles to send someone to Ireland to be with her son on his birthday (he was studying abroad). United didn't bat an eye.

RNE, saying I wouldn't make a habit of it, though.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's commonplace, but it's definitely allowed. I just used miles to send someone to Ireland to be with her son on his birthday (he was studying abroad). United didn't bat an eye.
You say that it's not commonplace but yet you've done it recently, and others on this thread (including me) do it all the time. If that's not commonplace I don't know what is. It is not something one is getting away with and unlikely to get caught (like throwing away a return leg of a r/t ticket), it's a totally normal thing to do and is both explicitly permitted and unlikely to raise any red flags.

RNE, saying I wouldn't make a habit of it, though.
Why not?
narvik and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:10 pm
RNE

Why not?
To avoid the appearance of wrongdoing.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
You say that it's not commonplace but yet you've done it recently, and others on this thread (including me) do it all the time. If that's not commonplace I don't know what is. It is not something one is getting away with and unlikely to get caught (like throwing away a return leg of a r/t ticket), it's a totally normal thing to do and is both explicitly permitted and unlikely to raise any red flags.

Why not?
I agree - I fail to see how using my miles to book travel for other people is suspicious / not common place.
chavala and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I do this all the time for friends and family. I have the miles and the ability to find great Saver availability. You are specifically asked for the name of the pax when making the reservation. The only payment involved is my love for them.

The thing that annoys me is the recent change where their reservation is no longer automatically populated in My Reservations. Since it was my miles/RPU/cash that was used I think it should populate (great internal control) to ensure I legitimately used my miles/cash/certs, etc.

It would make sense that I not automatically see the reservation if I did not know the person (i.e. had "sold" my miles), but these are my friends and family and I babysit their reservations until they have taken the flight.

I do not understand why anyone thinks you need to limit the sharing of giving trips to friends and family. I also give my friends and family rides in my car and I am not an uber/lyft driver and receive no payment.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:51 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I agree - I fail to see how using my miles to book travel for other people is suspicious / not common place.
Let's not be naive. While good people (you and me) use miles to help others, bad people also use miles to sell to others. United cannot tell if a money transaction facilitated our largess or not. If these "gifts" happen a lot (nobody knows what "a lot" is) United may smell a rat, even when there isn't one.

RNE, intending to continue to use my miles to help others, but not going to be Pollyanna about the risk of United misconstruing it; it can.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA MP
It is perfectly normal to book flights for others, UA actually allow you to save traveler information for future bookings. If you're not selling your miles, there is nothing to be worried about..
narvik and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by RNE
....intending to continue to use my miles to help others, but not going to be Pollyanna about the risk of United misconstruing it; it can.
The risk is minimal. Not sure why you seem so frightened that United somehow would suddenly think there is something untoward going on, when this is just business-as-usual.
One could also be scared that United out of nowhere suspects that your credit card used for the purchase of a ticked is stolen, and that ones name resembles one on the do-not-fly list, and subsequently cancel your tickets.
Can't recall any such reports here on FT of this happening.

If you don't sell your GPUs on eBay, you're just fine!

And yes, I also book award flights for others (where UA has no knowledge whether those persons are related to me or not)
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:58 am

Question Risk of giving away GPU

Do I run any risk in giving away GPUs? I know people have had their MileagePlus accounts closed who tried to sell GPUs, but I am willing to give them away for free, without anything in return. Do I still run a risk in doing so?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by stefang
Do I run any risk in giving away GPUs? I know people have had their MileagePlus accounts closed who tried to sell GPUs, but I am willing to give them away for free, without anything in return. Do I still run a risk in doing so?
Hi. If you haven't seen this already, it's a pretty good read on the use of GPU's.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-upgrades.html

In summary: Sponsoring someone else for an upgrade with your GPU is fine. Only if money or bartering comes into the conversation do you create a problem.

IMHO, the "risk" becomes sponsoring someone then the GPU doesn't clear and you don't have enough time to apply it to a new reservation before the expiry date.
So chose your donee's wisely.
stefang likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If it's truly for friends and family it's not a problem. I've given away a whole bunch. People get in trouble when they expand "friends and family" beyond its reasonable limits (usually in connection with some sort of scheme involving payment of compensation in one manner or another).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS
If you give it away, make sure the person knows who you are and can explain why they got the upgrade. Do not under any circumstances accept any payment, even for "advice on how to use it".
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by villox
If you give it away, make sure the person knows who you are
I would amend that to say, if you don't know who you're giving it to, don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.