Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 3, 15, 7:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Wiki Link
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
There are no plans to change the Million Miler program.

-UA Insider
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25809076-post186.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Dec 1, 15, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I am suddenly contemplating two SFO-HKG MRs to hit 1M before Dec. 31.
Heck yes you should be!

Good thing mine is long done.
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Still just a rumor. Glad I'm not chasing it, the miles just steadily accumulate, but lifetime GS at 4MM in a few years would've been nice.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 15 at 9:07 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the posters
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:07 pm

I think the way pmUA and pmCO calculated MM status at merger had been different, so when we all became United the pmUA flyers got a bump in their status by a certain percentage. But I also remember that for AA elites everything counted toward MM status while for UA it was just BIS miles up until the merger 'readjustment'.

But honestly, are there really that many Mileage Plus members who get past 3MM BIS in their lifetime? OP's rumored changes seem so Smiserly and now that SMI/J is gone hopefully the idea, however fully considered, will die/is dead. I just don't see what it buys UA, other than more bad will from its most high value/loyal flyers. Wouldn't make me leave but after all the crap we have had to suffer through a bit of a kick in the teeth to those of us who have remained loyal to the regime.

Thanks to OP for the heads up though. A little easier to digest after a few glasses of wine

Adam
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
I think the way pmUA and pmCO calculated MM status at merger had been different, so when we all became United the pmUA flyers got a bump in their status by a certain percentage. ...
pmUA program was pure UA -operated BIS and pmCO was based on EQMs (PQMs) including partners . The pmUA flyers were adjusted in a manner to attempt adding back in non-counted EQMs. And since the merger it has gone to strictly BIS miles (with 500 mile min).

See How far back does the lifetime flight mileage balance go?
or
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-tracking.html .

Back to our speculation of a rumor that may be under potentially consideration or not at some point in the future.
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RumorMill View Post
Recently had a friend book 3 unnecessary transcons for December with overnight returns. When I asked him why, he said that he was ~10k short of 2 million miles and wanted to make it by the end of the year so that he could have Lifetime Plat before they changed the program. Evidently, a friend of his in Willis Tower keyed him into the following changes, and this is what he speculated was going to be happening sometime next year:

• All Million Miler tiers will move down one "notch." Example: 1 Million will now be Silver for life, 2 million=Gold, etc.
  • There will no longer be a way to get GS for life. 4 million will be 1k for life, with no 5 million tier. However, certain "high-revenue" flyers will be eligible for lifetime GS by invitation.
  • GPUs and RPUs will no longer be given to Lifetime 1Ks and Plats if they have not met the annual PQM quota for their respective lifetime status level in a given year. Example: Someone who is lifetime 1k will not receive any instruments if they only get 50k PQMs in the year, if they fly 75K PQMs they will receive 2 RPUs, and if they fly 100k+ PQMs only then will they receive 6 GPUs.
  • People who made a certain lifetime status before the effective date of the change will be grandfathered.
  • The companion status benefit will remain the same.

Seems like a pretty big devaluation to me , but when looking at Delta and American's programs (see links below), it looks like United was offering more than them to begin with, and this change just brings UA in line with what Delta and American are currently offering.

Thoughts?
A number of years ago I had been Solitaire in SQ for nearly 15 years. 2/3 my way to lifetime Solitaire. Then they dropped the lifetime program altogether. End of incentive for me to take inconvenient flights in order to stay on SQ. Loved the airline, but haven't been on them more than half a dozen time in the past 10 years because of that.
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:40 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Madone59 Sr. is 87K short of 2mm and was hoping to knock it out next year, but it looks like it may be too little too late. It won't be worth starting if they move the bar part way through the year.

I'm surprised by the removal of the lifetime GS....how many could there really be or could be on their way to there??
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I am about 100K short of 2MM. Since I stopped flying enough to be GS, I started buying FC tickets when I want to be sure to be FC--so not flying enough miles to get 1K (or platinum), for 2016, but spending enough $$$ to get 1K. If I don't get platinum for life at 2MM, I will have less incentive to fly UA next year. In 2015, I still put nearly all my flights on UA. Perhaps not in 2016.
Old Dec 1, 15, 9:55 pm

Why even bother with 1MM if the only benefits you receive are largely offerred simply by having a credit card.

I'd venture to guess that many people shoot for 1MM to get the *G benefits that come with being a Gold.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
Why even bother with 1MM if the only benefits you receive are largely offerred simply by having a credit card.

I'd venture to guess that many people shoot for 1MM to get the *G benefits that come with being a Gold.
I'm Lifetime Platinum with Marriott so as long as that link stays, I'm effectively lifetime Silver with United already.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Gold, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, SWDgold, Choicepl, HYgld
I was trying for lifetime GS, oh well. I cant believe this is that big an issue, doesn't appear to be many lifetimers anyway.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Terrible

This would the one change that really impacts me more than all the others.

I have been looking forward to 1MM, currently at 939K, and Lifetime Gold and Companion status for my daughter.

I earned 1MM BIS on US, and then merger with AA to ended up as Lifetime Silver with no adjustment for all the other miles that AA flyers earned, or else I could look forward to 2MM Lifetime.

Now the only Lifetime status I have that is somewhat safer is SPG LT Plat (with 300+ nights in MR) after MR merges SPG.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post

This is true in my case. Was looking forward to reaching MM next year but if this rumor is true then I won't bother. I've already cashed in all my miles so there would be literally nothing left to stay for.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
It certainly seems like the sort of nonsense that $misek would've pulled, but hopefully Munoz realizes that this kind of devaluation kicks long-term loyalty in the nuts.

If you're a 1MM and they grandfather that as Gold, then say you have to get to 3MM to get Platinum, that's just silly. Lifetime Silver isn't much of a draw.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Selfishly I kind of hope that make this change as it will mean that I will no longer have any need to be loyal to United.

Currently at 2.25 Million. If they were to grandfather me as Platinum and and 1K would need to be 4 Million that would be a huge change and something I don't think I would strive for.

Plus the difference between a LT Platinum and an LT 1K under the rumored changed for those that don't fly 100K would be almost nothing. Since neither would get GPUs or RPUs. So then the only difference would be 11 miles per dollar spent on tickets versus 9, if you're not flying a lot in retirement not a big difference. And CPU - again mostly worthless as a 1K these days and something I don't rely on at all. If I want F I buy F (which I do most of the time since the prices are no longer outrageous).

It would really make my life much easier, I'm already contemplating the loyalty to UA, as I left my house and was through security at Oakland airport (couch to gate via Uber) in 20 minutes and $15. Only reason I fly UA is to get to 1K and eventually have 1K for life, but that would only mean something if one got the GPUs each year. Otherwise cheapest F will get my $ (with preference to Alaska and any partner that credit to their program).

Even without this change I'm seriously considering the loyalty as I can't seem to find any R space on international flights that I would want to take.
Old Dec 1, 15, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / SPG Platinum / Hertz PC
As I approach 1mm this would really cause me to think hard. I'm relatively young in my biz travel career, and have accrued most of my lifetime miles in the last 5-6 years. The ability to hit lifetime Gold and have lifetime Platinum within reach is part of the reason I remain loyal and will pay extra / take inconvenient flights when I have a bit of extra time. Having 1k is nice, but it wouldn't be too painful to switch to VX based on where I fly and when. Certainly something to watch closely.

Search this Thread