Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
There are no plans to change the Million Miler program.

-UA Insider
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25809076-post186.html
Print Wikipost

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
As others have doubtless said, this change would be the last straw for me. I've been on the cusp of leaving for aa for a while now but stayed because of "guaranteed" lifetime gold and the companion benefit. Once they take that away from me I think there's no more reasons to stay.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
How close? I'm within 30K and will now be checking my inbox regularly . . . .
I got mine about 4000 miles short, with scheduled flights the following week to surpass 1MM miles.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
After tomorrow, I'll be at 999,687. And next Tuesday, I will cross the threshold. Never got a nice letter like Halls120...
It came through as an e-mail. Make sure you allow regular MP communications.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by as219
Having been to the UA Rumor Rodeo many times, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think this will happen. Granting 1MM lifetime 2P in place of 1P is such crazy bad business that not even UA would go there. When they took away the RPUs, they gave the spouse/partner benefit; it hurt some, benefited others. To devalue every MM threshold by a M+ tier is just pure meanness. At the very least I think it's only fair to give a minimum 12-month warning.

I know, I know... Call me deluded if you will, but even though they can and have done such things in the past, I just don't see this happening in the short term in the way the OP describes.
I certainly hope so. If this happens, I would have no incentive to fly UA anymore. I always thought that the UA MM program was the best incentive one could have to put all of your miles not just in a certain alliance, but on a specific metal. I've been doing > 50k BIS on UA for several years now and if nothing changes, I'll keep doing it for many years to come.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 3, 2015 at 11:55 am Reason: quote of and reply to deleted post removed
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
As others have doubtless said, this change would be the last straw for me. I've been on the cusp of leaving for aa for a while now but stayed because of "guaranteed" lifetime gold and the companion benefit. Once they take that away from me I think there's no more reasons to stay.
The rumor states that current MM members will be grandfathered.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by STS-134
I certainly hope so. If this happens, I would have no incentive to fly UA anymore. I always thought that the UA MM program was the best incentive one could have to put all of your miles not just in a certain alliance, but on a specific metal. I've been doing > 50k BIS on UA for several years now and if nothing changes, I'll keep doing it for many years to come.
Im calling BS on this rumor, but the behavior you outline above is so ill-advised you should rethink it. Why anyone thinks that past business will give you tangible benefits with a for-profit company in any sector escapes me. FF programs are useful for benefits consumed in the short term - 3 to 6 months hence..nothing beyond.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 3, 2015 at 11:58 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:51 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
hmm, last deval UA Insider made the announcement in Sept 2011 with the changes in spring 2012. So about a 6 month notification.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17146161-post1.html
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
hmm, last deval UA Insider made the announcement in Sept 2011 with the changes in spring 2012. So about a 6 month notification.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17146161-post1.html
You read my mind. I'm at 930,000 lifetime miles maybe with another 10 this year. It would be sprint next year but I could still make it with 6 months notice. I would really hope for a year.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA-GS 4M, Hilton Diamond , Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If the rumor is true, United will likely lose me as a premium cabin passenger.

I am about 500k short of 4 MM and making lifetime GS is a goal. I am already lifetime 1K and spend about $100K+ a year on UA metals.
If this change does take place, NH, CX and SQ will likely getting my transpacific business and LX, OZ or BA will get my tranatlantic flights. There is no incentive to fly UA as a lifetime 1k.
I am exactly in the same boat at 3.5MM. I have little to no interest to be lifetime 1K. LH and NH will offer way better intl' options while I still fly a lot.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Many terrible things have been announced as rumors over the years here and ultimately never materialized. I do hope this is one of them. However if they do make the change then I hope they announce it and give everyone the 2016 calendar year to try and achieve their next level under the hold program. I'm at 1.844MM and if I needed to I would hit 2MM in 2016 for Plat for life. I really wanted 1K for life eventually...including those 6 GPU's, etc.

If they take away my ability to get at least Plat for life without giving me any chance of making a run at it.. I'm going to be really disappointed.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by villox
While I truly agree that giving people lifetime silver for 1MM is laughable
You are right. It would be much easier to devalue Gold to Silver benefits - ie.UA Gold is no longer Star Gold. That way it affects all MMs, including old ones - and technically, no rules/promises are broken.

After all, MM is only promised United Gold, not Star Gold. So all MMs would continue to enjoy exclusive benefits of UA Gold, whatever they may be in the future.

Counting on UA Gold = Star Gold long term is foolish IMO.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:50 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I will cross the mm mile mark on Jan 14, I could cross it by Dec 25 if I do a mileage run of 4,000 miles YVR ORD SFO YVR right now for USD340.00 but I think I will hold tight. Hopefully if the devaluation comes and if all that are mm gold are grandfathered in it will be announce for something starting March 1 etc.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
you'd think it would behoove UA/UAI to at least come out and say "no this is false" or "there will be changes but we are working on the details." at least something to cut down the speculation.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I shall wait until the official announcement.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 3, 2015 at 1:33 pm Reason: comment discussing another member removed
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boghopper
+1 for me on this and all the others who have said similarly. Let's hope it is not true...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what the competition offers for flying 1MM on their airline. If UA offers a given benefit in return for flying 1 million miles, and gives that same benefit to someone who applies for and carries a certain credit card, they have effectively eliminated the incentive to fly UA more than the competition.

If they aren't going to provide a realistic incentive to fly UA, why bother with MP at all?
I've already asked and answered that question and as a result most of my spend is on OAL.

I get nearly the same benefit with the card, don't mind paying for e+ the few times I have to fly UA. The only benefit of 1mm/gold for life that I can perceive is free access to *a lounges on international trips.

If they wipe that away, I see nothing left compared with paying $95/yr for the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.