Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
There are no plans to change the Million Miler program.

-UA Insider
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25809076-post186.html
Print Wikipost

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Those whom have already qualified for a particular status level are grandfathered into their current status.
Since this is all rumor with no foundation in reality, how can you determine that?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Not to bring an even worse down note to this pity party, but why should UA grandfather at current status? Because these MMs have already done their heavy flying and MRs, they are the ones that UA can most abuse without sacrificing as much future business as those that are still doing heavy flying trying to reach certain MM status.

Note further, that there would seem to be no legal bar to revoking previously-earned MM benefits as the airlines have already won that court case.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:11 pm

This is just a rumor but given the march towards a purely revenue driven "loyalty" program I don't see this as an implausible rumor. I'm probably 5 years away from MM since I stopped flying with United exclusively this year but was still willing to throw them preferential bookings since lifetime *G was worth something. However even if this rumor turns out to be completely false it does remind me that the future MM program will likely not resemble the current MM program, nor is it written in stone that United Gold will actually equate to a useful status in the future.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:55 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
There have been a few posts asking why the OP's account was suspended. Generally, we don't share why an account was suspended, but in this case it was pretty obvious and, as it was a new account, it's not violating the privacy of a known member. The rules prohibit having multiple accounts. I hope that answers that and the thread can carry on. Please note if you have a question about moderator actions, write to us directly as it's also against the rules to discuss them on thread.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artvandalay
I re-checked my letter from last March--when I was about 25K short--and this is all it says: "Once you are a 1 Million Miler, you will enjoy benefits that reflect your accomplishment, including status that will not fall below Premier® Gold.* "

Cannot locate any fine print...so far.
Well, they can always tinker with the Premier Gold benefits so tomorrow's Gold is like today's Silver...

I guess this is what happens when we have less competition...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If the rumor is true, United will likely lose me as a premium cabin passenger.

I am about 500k short of 4 MM and making lifetime GS is a goal. I am already lifetime 1K and spend about $100K+ a year on UA metals.

If this change does take place, NH, CX and SQ will likely getting my transpacific business and LX, OZ or BA will get my tranatlantic flights. There is no incentive to fly UA as a lifetime 1k.

Alternatively I will just change alliance altogether to go with AA/Oneworld and secure top tier lifetime status with AA (if there is such a tier).
I am exactly at the same point as you and would be there is about 2-2.5 years, though my spend is not quite as high as I give around $30k to CX and QR. I would let them keep my domestic flights but all else would go to elsewhere.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
A number of years ago I had been Solitaire in SQ for nearly 15 years. 2/3 my way to lifetime Solitaire. Then they dropped the lifetime program altogether. End of incentive for me to take inconvenient flights in order to stay on SQ. Loved the airline, but haven't been on them more than half a dozen time in the past 10 years because of that.
Seriously? That's absolutely awful! Sorry to hear that. Dropping the Lifetime status altogether is downright cruel.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I'm Lifetime Platinum with Marriott so as long as that link stays, I'm effectively lifetime Silver with United already.
Yup, I will be LT PLT with Marriott very soon, but at this rate, it is possible that I get 1MM first, hopefully by next year.

Originally Posted by entropy
I for one, enjoy the comfort of my lifetime benefits, although my status is currently higher than what I earned via MM.

If you're "working" on lifetime status being a "goal" that you "care" about that's years away, then I think your priorities are a bit messed up. Its airline status, with the exception of GS, its nothing that can't be replicated on any airline with Pre/Nexus/GE and a few bucks.
Some people treat MRs or sticking with one airline as investment for long-term comfort. From all the recent changes by the airlines, it is not difficult to find out the majority of the revenue comes from kayakers, or absolute kettle, or people who are aware but don't care about status. In the near future, this can turn out to be opportunity to get more RDMs/elite benefits when economy drops to the bottom, but you are right, chasing LT status is just silly. There are lot more investments that we can make to improve our life quality. ^ :-:

I will still fly UA even if the current elite benefits were stripped, since it was mostly for my business. AA's new elite benefits are definitely heartbraking. By looking at SWUs and RPUs, you can see UA actually covered more BIS in upgraded premium cabin if all sectors are cleared at 1K level(Six GPUs, four RPUs). But I am definitely not sticking or even thinking of 2MM+ moving forward.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 3, 2015 at 3:07 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12
The same value that AA and DL offer at 1MM, I suppose. All the more reason to not suddenly switch to a new program to get that lifetime status.
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what the competition offers for flying 1MM on their airline. If UA offers a given benefit in return for flying 1 million miles, and gives that same benefit to someone who applies for and carries a certain credit card, they have effectively eliminated the incentive to fly UA more than the competition.

If they aren't going to provide a realistic incentive to fly UA, why bother with MP at all?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by abaheti
They don't need fine print. They won the lawsuit and can do whatever they want to the program -- no matter what they say in an email or the program documentation.
Even with my status as a 1MM - gained on PMUA - with all the previous program down grades, UA has already driven me to find the best deal from any airline these days. Like others can do on UA, I can buy my way upon another airline.

So, if the rumor is true and I am able to maintain my grandfathered status, my concern is that even though the status is outwardly the same, UA will use its software to continue to quietly put other passengers ahead of me in upgrade lists and lists of other perks - as already happens. It could only get worse, thus making status even less valuable.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:02 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
If this is going to be true starting January 01, 2016, when are they expected to announce this big change? It is difficult to image that they will give such a short notice for a big change like this.

I gave up working towards DL's 1MM status at around 820000 DL MQM a few years ago; now I am at 870000 BIS MM with CO/UA and is preparing to hit 1MM in mid 2016. What a disappointment if this change will be inevitably true starting 2016.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Having been to the UA Rumor Rodeo many times, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think this will happen. Granting 1MM lifetime 2P in place of 1P is such crazy bad business that not even UA would go there. When they took away the RPUs, they gave the spouse/partner benefit; it hurt some, benefited others. To devalue every MM threshold by a M+ tier is just pure meanness. At the very least I think it's only fair to give a minimum 12-month warning.

I know, I know... Call me deluded if you will, but even though they can and have done such things in the past, I just don't see this happening in the short term in the way the OP describes.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS
While I truly agree that giving people lifetime silver for 1MM is laughable, I would like to dispute that Silver is precisely equal to having the credit card. The credit card can't get you free E+ at check-in, an extra 2 miles per PQD, access to standard awards on any flight, free changes to award flights (if O/D remains the same), reduced award fees, etc.

Yes, Silver is not a great status level, but it IS something beyond Group 2 boarding.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As a 1MM'er, if the OP is true then I have no incentive to fly United. As of now, there is incentive to make it to 2mm and lifetime Plat status. But if they are taking that away, then I'll just fly UA when it's the best choice rather than go out of my way to choose UA. But if UA is going to make this change and they are smart, they won't take away that incentive and allow me to stay on track to hit lifetime Platinum once I reach 2mm.

As UA of course has the full details of all our stats, maybe they can do some trending analysis and see that a huge wave of people are about to hit 1MM in the next year or two. Maybe LH is aware of this too and doesn't want their SEN lounges forever filling up with a lot of Lifetime Star Gold's.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:19 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
When UA did the other deval to the MM program, what time frame did they gave us from when it was announced to when it was implemented?

Doing my math now. I got 962.6K now. I got my return next week which will earn me another 4.6K and in the beginning of Jan I have 15.5K booked. That would give me some 17.3K to do, which I can easily do. But I don't know if its worth panicking now about it or assuming they give us some notice just do this the 2nd week of Jan...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by halls120
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what the competition offers for flying 1MM on their airline. If UA offers a given benefit in return for flying 1 million miles, and gives that same benefit to someone who applies for and carries a certain credit card, they have effectively eliminated the incentive to fly UA more than the competition.

If they aren't going to provide a realistic incentive to fly UA, why bother with MP at all?
Isn't that the ultimate destination? In defense of UA, DL seems further along in the disassembly of the loyalty programs. The belly whopper of a strategic mistake that Smisek and his merry band of corporate marauders made was not getting the airline side in working order (in contrast to DL) before starting down the path. There will be many logical inconsistencies as the programs slowly strangle the loyalty inducements. The biggest being the credit card imbalance. Let's see for $95 I can roughly obtain the same privileges and miles equivalent to $10,000 spend in airline fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.