Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If on a UA ticket but the first flight is a codeshare and/or partner operated flight, you check-in for boarding pass and bags with the operator of the first flight, not UA. This may mean going to a different terminal.
If doing online check-in, you may need the partner's PNR identifier, Record Locator / PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Note -- The UA PNR should work for LH Group airlines and some others

Bag allowance can be tricky
-- UA unique elite bag waiver privileges will generally not apply.For *G elites, checking with a *A, your *G bag allowance of
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
-- If the original or destination is in the USA, the DoT rules apply. In other cases, the IATA Most Significant Carrier rules apply.
  • DoT rules state the marketing carrier of the first segment determines the bag fees for the entire itinerary. So if a UA codeshare, it is UA rules. While *A elite benefits may apply, UA unique elite privileges will not

While initially, the UA BP will not show up on the app, it will later. Once the non-UA flights have been flown / boarded (in technical terms, their segment coupons have been lifted.)

Archive: Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pceng
I was afraid of that, so there is no chance to pay for bags through United for an LH operated flight?
no
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:04 pm

Location: KCVG when flying commercial, KLUK when flying myself.
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, StarLux Insighter (lol)
Question UA ticket w/ BA leg

Quick questions, and please let me know if I'm in the wrong place to ask this.

1) Booked a UA ticket for CVG-ORD-LHR-NCL. The last leg is on BA (didn't even know they do that). For the return trip, I'll be checking-in with BA. How does priority luggage, priority check-in/security, and lounge access work? The UA portion is on First & Polaris and the BA portion is on Club Europe, which makes it easier since Club Europe benefits would be more than enough. Just curious how this works when they are not partner airlines.

2) How the hell does Google Flights find these combinations, when they are not searchable on UA's website but bookable when clicking on Google's link?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Wilbur Lin
Originally Posted by Wilbur Lin
.... 1) Booked a UA ticket for CVG-ORD-LHR-NCL. The last leg is on BA (didn't even know they do that). For the return trip, I'll be checking-in with BA. How does priority luggage, priority check-in/security, and lounge access work? The UA portion is on First & Polaris and the BA portion is on Club Europe, which makes it easier since Club Europe benefits would be more than enough. Just curious how this works when they are not partner airlines.
When you check in with BA, you will not get any of your UA perks. You will get what is included in the ticket. BA may give you international business bag allowance or the Club Europe. Lounge access and priority check-in/security will be based on Club Europe.

.... 2) How the hell does Google Flights find these combinations, when they are not searchable on UA's website but bookable when clicking on Google's link? ..
Booking non-partners on a single ticket is very legitimate, especially when the destination isn't services by UA
United.com offered me a competitor AA/DL/ ... / non-*A flight segment (!?)
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Alas the NCL lounge is closed and no third party arrangements have been made as far as I know. On the outbound you would have access to the Ba lounge at Heathrow.

On the return you will need to clear security at Heathrow because of the terminal change (even though you landed as domestic and would not if staying in the same terminal). I don’t believe any *Alliance lounge is open at Heathrow.

I don’t think there is anything unusual about ticketing a rival’s flight but UA probably don’t expose it easily because they want to route you on the Star Alliance (for NCL with LH via Germany).

I’m not sure how BA would assess the baggage allowance. They would normally apply the greatest allowance on the journey but I don’t know if they can see the UA rules.

Priority luggage is easy - BA don’t do it. Yes they may put a label on it but if you see the Oneworld page BA are explicitly excluded from priority luggage. I’d imagine UA will bit see it as priority.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
On the return you will need to clear security at Heathrow because of the terminal change (even though you landed as domestic and would not if staying in the same terminal). I don’t believe any *Alliance lounge is open at Heathrow.
Oh I did not know you have to clear security again. Is it because it’s not connected airside? Is it usually this way? I’m assuming that luggage still checks through though right?

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I don’t think there is anything unusual about ticketing a rival’s flight but UA probably don’t expose it easily because they want to route you on the Star Alliance (for NCL with LH via Germany).
Yeah that makes sense. I fly a lot of UA-LH connections. I was going to book this trip on an LH ticket actually, before finding this gem that’s almost $1,000 cheaper. This is the first time I’m flying on a non-partnered UA ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Oh I did not know you have to clear security again. Is it because it’s not connected airside? Is it usually this way? I’m assuming that luggage still checks through though right?

Yeah that makes sense. I fly a lot of UA-LH connections. I was going to book this trip on an LH ticket actually, before finding this gem that’s almost $1,000 cheaper. This is the first time I’m flying on a non-partnered UA ticket.
It’s because they have no way to segregate you on the inter-terminal bus from other international arrivals. Your other option is to go landside and take the tube/Heathrow express but again you would clear security.

If it’s on one ticket your luggage will be transferred automatically.
Wilbur Lin likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:14 am

WineCountryUA Thanks so much for the info. I'd be curious to see how *G benefits apply, when it'll be BA that's printing the tickets. (It's been a long time since I last used a physical boarding pass...) I'm sure it still applies at LHR but I'm wondering if scanning the boarding pass works or not—I'll find out!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Been a long time since I've done this, so looking for a refresher.

Silver here, booked on AC flight YYZ-DEN, then connecting onward on UA. I can't remember the trick to trying to select an E+ seat, since I know I can't do it until check-in, but also that I won't be able to use UA check in, as I need to check in with AC, who at least last time I tried this, won't allow me to select an E+ seat (or maybe even change my existing seat).

Can I call UA at T-24 from my AC segment, and have them put me in E+ then? Does it matter if I do this after I check in on the AC flight? I don't have any recollection of how this used to work, and if anything's changed since COVID, only remember that this is a bit tricky.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Returning to the U.S. CDG-FRA-SFO and trying to figure out my baggage limits. On the outbound (SFO-CDG, first flight on UA), I got the 1K three-bag allowance @70 pounds each. I believe United is the "marketing carrier", since the first flight on my itinerary was (and both trans-Atlantic flights are) on United. So should the three-bag rule continue to apply throughout my itinerary? I fear I am misremembering the rule.

For the return, I am flying LH in coach from CDG to FRA, then United business to SFO. So I need to check in with LH in CDG. My United receipt shows two bags @70 pounds (and says nothing either way about a third). United's baggage checker for my specific itinerary at this point tells me I get one bag@ 50 pounds, though the generic checker (CDG-SFO, with UA as the marketing carrier) shows me getting three bags @70 pounds.

The LH agents in CDG could go different ways, depending on how they interpret the rules. Is it clear I get three bags, or is it at the discretion of the check-in agent in CDG?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancelot21
Returning to the U.S. CDG-FRA-SFO and trying to figure out my baggage limits. On the outbound (SFO-CDG, first flight on UA), I got the 1K three-bag allowance @70 pounds each. I believe United is the "marketing carrier", since the first flight on my itinerary was (and both trans-Atlantic flights are) on United. So should the three-bag rule continue to apply throughout my itinerary? I fear I am misremembering the rule.

For the return, I am flying LH in coach from CDG to FRA, then United business to SFO. So I need to check in with LH in CDG. My United receipt shows two bags @70 pounds (and says nothing either way about a third). United's baggage checker for my specific itinerary at this point tells me I get one bag@ 50 pounds, though the generic checker (CDG-SFO, with UA as the marketing carrier) shows me getting three bags @70 pounds.

The LH agents in CDG could go different ways, depending on how they interpret the rules. Is it clear I get three bags, or is it at the discretion of the check-in agent in CDG?
I don't know the answer but be prepared for the polite "Sorry, that is not possible" response.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:20 am

Smile

Originally Posted by TomMM
I don't know the answer but be prepared for the polite "Sorry, that is not possible" response.
As long as I can pay for the third bag, I can live with it. My worry is that, whatever I find online about excess bags, when I say I still need to check the third bag, that the answer will be the same ("Sorry, that is not possible..." :-)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
what does lufthansa.com say? LH is pretty good to give you what is on the ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
what does lufthansa.com say? LH is pretty good to give you what is on the ticket.
I couldn't find any mention whatsoever of my itinerary-specific baggage limits on Lufthansa.com. I tried clicking everything I could find. Only thing I could find was the generic calculator (which is 2 x 23kilos)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I got the 1K three-bag allowance @70 pounds each. I believe United is the "marketing carrier", since the first flight on my itinerary was (and both trans-Atlantic flights are) on United. So should the three-bag rule continue to apply throughout my itinerary? I fear I am misremembering the rule.
No. 3x70 is not the United ticket allowance, that is an elite waiver which is not applicable to the FMC rule.

Why are you in mixed cabins and how is the itinerary fared? If, for example, you have a CDG-SFO fare in Economy with a cleared upgrade on FRA-SFO, your allowance is the United Economy allowance for CDG to SFO. This is 1x 50lbs. LH will honor your *G status and delegates to kg, so your bag allowance is 2x23kg at the LH counter in CDG. The standard LH fee for a third bag on that sector is EUR 200 in advance, or EUR 250 at the counter.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by findark

Why are you in mixed cabins and how is the itinerary fared? If, for example, you have a CDG-SFO fare in Economy with a cleared upgrade on FRA-SFO, your allowance is the United Economy allowance for CDG to SFO. This is 1x 50lbs. LH will honor your *G status and delegates to kg, so your bag allowance is 2x23kg at the LH counter in CDG. The standard LH fee for a third bag on that sector is EUR 200 in advance, or EUR 250 at the counter.
Thanks. The United portions are fared as premium economy (with cleared upgrade). But the LH segment is ticketed in economy. Generically, premium economy on Lufthansa would, I think, give me 2 x 23 as a general member plus a third as *Gold.

My vague recollection is that the couple of times I tried to figure out situations like this in the past (and it's been a few years), the Flyertalk consensus was that I wouldn't get the 3 x 70, or at least, that I should be prepared not to. That said, I think I always did get the higher allotment without any question (I just said I had three bags and put them on the scale as requested). But at least I was aware that it depended on the agent, and that my mileage might vary. (Each situation was presumably a little different, and I know I was never previously booked in Premium Economy when I tried to figure it out.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.