Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If on a UA ticket but the first flight is a codeshare and/or partner operated flight, you check-in for boarding pass and bags with the operator of the first flight, not UA. This may mean going to a different terminal.
If doing online check-in, you may need the partner's PNR identifier, Record Locator / PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Note -- The UA PNR should work for LH Group airlines and some others

Bag allowance can be tricky
-- UA unique elite bag waiver privileges will generally not apply.For *G elites, checking with a *A, your *G bag allowance of
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
-- If the original or destination is in the USA, the DoT rules apply. In other cases, the IATA Most Significant Carrier rules apply.
  • DoT rules state the marketing carrier of the first segment determines the bag fees for the entire itinerary. So if a UA codeshare, it is UA rules. While *A elite benefits may apply, UA unique elite privileges will not

While initially, the UA BP will not show up on the app, it will later. Once the non-UA flights have been flown / boarded (in technical terms, their segment coupons have been lifted.)

Archive: Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:21 am

Premier Silver here. Flying FCO-MUC-SFO with ITA Airways as first leg, United Prem Economy for second leg. My baggage allowance was showing 70lbs (32KG) on the United website and when I checked with United agent via chat. Assume this is part of Silver benefit. Was assured by chat agent that ITA Airways will also honor the 70lbs.

However today after checking in, the site now says 50lbs (23KG) as my limit.

Anyone dealt with this before?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by herquiethands
However today after checking in, the site now says 50lbs (23KG) as my limit.
Does your ticket actually say 70 lbs on ITA? Or is there verbiage referencing "must check-in with United" for that allowance?

You would not get any UA or *A benefits on the ITA segment, so it will be whatever baggage allowance you're entitled to based on class of service and ticket type (which I assume is 50 lbs). But if UA issued you a ticket that says 70 lbs, without qualification, then you would have grounds for a refund by UA of any fee ITA charges you.

I'm also rather shocked UA is selling an ITA segment rather than LH . . . .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:49 am

Where to check in?

I booked a flight in business class from SFO to Frankfurt on Lufthansa through United Airlines. I have both a United Airlines and Lufthansa confirmation numbers. Do I check in at the United counter or the Lufthansa counter? Can I use the United club while waiting for my flight?
Thaks for the reply.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the flight is operated by Lufthansa, check in at the Lufthansa counter.

If you are flying SFO-FRA nonstop, you can use the Polaris Lounge at SFO or (if for whatever reason you really want to) a United Club.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 9:28 am

The flight is a Lufthansa 747-8.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by adventures_await
The flight is a Lufthansa 747-8.
It does not matter what kind of plane it is - you always check in with the operating carrier. In this case, Lufthansa.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.