Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If on a UA ticket but the first flight is a codeshare and/or partner operated flight, you check-in for boarding pass and bags with the operator of the first flight, not UA. This may mean going to a different terminal.
If doing online check-in, you may need the partner's PNR identifier, Record Locator / PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Note -- The UA PNR should work for LH Group airlines and some others

Bag allowance can be tricky
-- UA unique elite bag waiver privileges will generally not apply.For *G elites, checking with a *A, your *G bag allowance of
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
-- If the original or destination is in the USA, the DoT rules apply. In other cases, the IATA Most Significant Carrier rules apply.
  • DoT rules state the marketing carrier of the first segment determines the bag fees for the entire itinerary. So if a UA codeshare, it is UA rules. While *A elite benefits may apply, UA unique elite privileges will not

While initially, the UA BP will not show up on the app, it will later. Once the non-UA flights have been flown / boarded (in technical terms, their segment coupons have been lifted.)

Archive: Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
UA 9900
Because the overall first flight on your itinerary is marketed by United, and the itinerary touches the US, UA’s baggage policies will apply on the entire flight.

Originally Posted by 1P
That makes me wonder if there is a difference between "baggage check-in" and passenger check-in, and whether I could go to a United check-in desk and ask them to route my bags on a direct flight to Chicago. I suspect the answer will be No!
The answer is no. :-) There are many reasons for this, but the simplest is that international flights have positive passenger bag matching. You can’t voluntarily separate yourself from your luggage.

As far as the fees, you’re running into one of the gray areas here. United treats an upgrade as applying to the underlying fare, which is why it’s quoting you the luggage fee for business class (two pieces) and then telling you that the fee for a third piece would be waived as a courtesy for your 1K status if you checked in with UA. In my experience, your operating airline will not see the business class allowance, but instead will see the economy allowance.

That said, as I read it, your flight is actually operated by Brussels, so I’d expect that you’d get your second bag for free due to your *A status. You can (and probably should) bring your receipt and see if you can get the second bag fee waived, if they try to charge it in the first place. If you can’t get it waived, you can see if UA will refund it. They should, honestly, since the DOT requires that they disclose luggage fees on the receipt and your receipt says $0.

Originally Posted by 1P
So I go to the Eurowings website, assuming that this is the operating airline. There I discover that baggage allowance is dependent on what kind of ticket you have and the route you are flying. It appears that there is BASIC, SMART, BEST and BIZZ classes. Not sure how I am supposed to know where my upgradeable W fare fits in to this.
UA does a terrible job of disclosing fare families, but I don’t think this matters in this case because UA’s policies will prevail. I can tell you that you’re not in Basic because your W fare was upgradeable; Basic is EuroWings’ version of Basic Economy and would not be upgradeable.

Originally Posted by 1P
Additionally, it seems certain that carry-on is weight-limited, which may be an issue, especially if only one piece is permitted (but there is no clear statement of whether that applies to me)..
I flew Brussels and saw the same thing you did. My carry-on wasn’t weighed, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by 1P
In the midst of all this, I also discover that my flight could be operated as a codeshare by Germanwings, or Eurowings Europe, or Czech Airlines (some of whose flights are operated by Delta....), or even LGW or TUIfly (both Lufthansa subsidiaries, neither of which in fact operate from LHR).
Naah. That’s boilerplate. Germanwings doesn’t even exist anymore. UA is required to advise you of the operating carrier at the time of ticketing. It looks to me like it’s Brussels, operating the flight on behalf of EuroWings.

Originally Posted by 1P
Brussels Airlines also directs me to MSC:
The MSC would be UA, which is another reason that they would use UA’s policies.

Originally Posted by 1P
Again, it is difficult to see how this may or may not impact my itinerary. I can't believe that on my return legs, which begin with United, they will try to impose the baggage regulations of the first carrier on the complete itinerary.
Well, again, that first carrier is UA. However, if it were not, UA would be required to provide at least as much free baggage as the first marketing carrier would. The idea is that the DOT is trying to keep people from being blindsided by baggage fees on the return trip (or even a continuing leg after a stopover). However, there’s no restriction that would prevent them from providing more free luggage, which is exactly what they’d do — you’d still get your 1K allowance even if they were following someone else’s policy.

Originally Posted by 1P
I suspect that I am going to have to make a number of phone calls before i can discover exactly what scenario I have gotten myself into!
You’d be wasting your time. The phone agents have no clue.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As your journey touches the USA, the DOT rules apply. The baggage allowance of your ticket is that of the first marketing carrier for the journey. In that case, that would be United for LHR-ORD, because ORD is your destination and your first flight is marketed by United (UA9900).

So your baggage allowance would be the United allowance for LHR-ORD in Economy (your originally ticketed class), which is 1x 50 lbs. Your fare cannot be a Basic Economy ("Light" in LH Group speak) fare because it was GPU-eligible, so it is definitely this allowance. The check-in counter at LHR (there is no difference between a "ticket counter" and a "check-in counter" - they are just saying you cannot go to the United counter in LHR) may have issues given the mess that is SN right now, but this is the legal allowance and the computer should just spit this out.

ed. to add from jsloan's post -- yes, as a UA*G you should get a second bag for 2x 50lbs.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

Because the overall first flight on your itinerary is marketed by United, and the itinerary touches the US, UA’s baggage policies will apply on the entire flight.
Originally Posted by findark
As your journey touches the USA, the DOT rules apply. The baggage allowance of your ticket is that of the first marketing carrier for the journey. In that case, that would be United for LHR-ORD, because ORD is your destination and your first flight is marketed by United (UA9900)....
Just to be clear, the UA allowance refered to above, is per the standard UA ticket rules. It will not include UA's bag allowance for UA's elite. It should include the *A allowance for *Gs (OP was 1K), one extra bag at the standard 50 lbs allowance for SN.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to be clear, the UA allowance refered to above, is per the standard UA ticket rules. It will not include UA's bag allowance for UA's elite. It should include the *A allowance for *Gs (OP was 1K), one extra bag at the standard 50 lbs allowance for SN.
this. UA waivers (more accurately) for premiers will not apply. So weight limit will be 50 lbs, and you’ll get 1 extra 50 lb. bag for being *G.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:21 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Many thanks to one and all, and especially jsloan, for all the info. I will post again in this thread if there is anything material to report, once I have flown the flights (still some time away).
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:25 am

UA Premier Status - Waiving Baggage Fees on Codeshare Flights

I am a UA Premier Silver and just booked a ticket on United.Com. I was able to get my 1st bag fees waived on the outbound (UA Operated Flight) flight. However, coming back home to the US - the 1st carrier is operated by Air Canada (codeshare flight) and the second carrier is operated by United. Would I still be able to get the return flight baggage fees waived?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skyline101
I am a UA Premier Silver and just booked a ticket on United.Com. I was able to get my 1st bag fees waived on the outbound (UA Operated Flight) flight. However, coming back home to the US - the 1st carrier is operated by Air Canada (codeshare flight) and the second carrier is operated by United. Would I still be able to get the return flight baggage fees waived?
No, there is no *A bag waiver for *S. You will get the ticket bag allowance.

UA Silver gets 1 bag waiver when checking with UA (first flight is UA operated). Elsewhere nada.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by skyline101
Would I still be able to get the return flight baggage fees waived?
What does your ticket receipt say?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
How do I check in for UA flight if I'm flying CX connecting to UA on the same ticket?

My ticket is 016 UA-issued. It was purchased on United.com. The first flight is intra-Asia on Cathay Pacific(CX) to Hong Kong. The connecting is UA flight across the Pacific.

How do I check in for the UA flight? Can the CX agent do that? Or do I have to find an actual UA agent once I land in HKG? I assume United.com can't let me check me because the first flight is on CX, right?

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by geometry
How do I check in for the UA flight?
You should be able to do OLCI as usual.

Can the CX agent do that?
I doubt that.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
You should be able to do OLCI as usual.

I doubt that.
UA website doesn't let me do OLCI..

It's showing me this:

Unable to Complete Check-in

The first flight in your itinerary is operated by Cathay Pacific Airways. Please check in with Cathay Pacific Airways."
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:53 pm

How do I check in for the UA flight? Can the CX agent do that? Or do I have to find an actual UA agent once I land in HKG? I assume United.com can't let me check me because the first flight is on CX, right? ....
It varies

but check-in with the first carrier may do the second carrier check-in -- especially with airport check-in. You will not be able to check-in directly with UA until the non-UA flight coupons have been removed from the reservation -- generally after boarding. At the point, UA online check-in should work.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It varies

but check-in with the first carrier may do the second carrier check-in -- especially with airport check-in. You will not be able to check-in directly with UA until the non-UA flight coupons have been removed from the reservation -- generally after boarding. At the point, UA online check-in should work.
I don't want to clutter up the forum by starting another thread...

But what are there so many CX+UA and AC+UA flights to/from the US being offered on United.com these days. They are always a couple hundred dollars cheaper, so they always show up first. This started at the beginning of this year only. Prior to that, on many of the same routes that I fly, I only see all-UA flights...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:10 pm

.... But what are there so many CX+UA and AC+UA flights to/from the US being offered on United.com these days. They are always a couple hundred dollars cheaper, so they always show up first. This started at the beginning of this year only. Prior to that, on many of the same routes that I fly, I only see all-UA flights...
Assuming you are flying from a location that has UA service, UA is hoping to get a premium for the non-stop TPAC and is offering lower fares that require another airline connection (and the alternative UA flight may have lower fares). Most flight search system tries to optimize the lowest fare and least travel time, but many times there is not the single flight that does both.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My ticket is 016 UA-issued. It was purchased on United.com. The first flight is intra-Asia on Cathay Pacific(CX) to Hong Kong. The connecting is UA flight across the Pacific.

How do I check in for the UA flight? Can the CX agent do that? Or do I have to find an actual UA agent once I land in HKG? I assume United.com can't let me check me because the first flight is on CX, right?

Thanks!
unless things have changed, CX can check your bags through if on the same ticket, but they won’t be able to check you into the UA flight or give UA BPs. Last time I tried this (BKK-HKG on CX, HKG-EWR on UA), I was told the systems they use for check in are incompatible. I really pushed, since My connection was 1 hour, 10 minutes (no longer legal, thankfully). There were about 2 dozen of us connecting to the EWR or ORD flight at HKG - which both leave around d the same time. It didn’t help that we were late arriving into HKG.

Other issues aside (yes, there were), upon landing at HKG, you need to go to the transfer desk to check in (or if you arrive before the check in cutoff, which we did not due to CX delay, you should be able to OLCI in UA app - should actually be able to do this once your Cx BP is marked as boarded, so using CXwifi if it exists). Note if you have checked bags, even if checked through, you’ll still likely need to stop at the transfer desk to validate the bag transfer on the UA side.

While HKG is definitely an efficient enough airport, due to the check in issues, (on CX or Hong King Airlines), Id personally recommend at least 2 hours for a connection - though not sure what MCT is these days.
ual744777sta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.