Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If on a UA ticket but the first flight is a codeshare and/or partner operated flight, you check-in for boarding pass and bags with the operator of the first flight, not UA. This may mean going to a different terminal.
If doing online check-in, you may need the partner's PNR identifier, Record Locator / PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Note -- The UA PNR should work for LH Group airlines and some others

Bag allowance can be tricky
-- UA unique elite bag waiver privileges will generally not apply.For *G elites, checking with a *A, your *G bag allowance of
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
-- If the original or destination is in the USA, the DoT rules apply. In other cases, the IATA Most Significant Carrier rules apply.
  • DoT rules state the marketing carrier of the first segment determines the bag fees for the entire itinerary. So if a UA codeshare, it is UA rules. While *A elite benefits may apply, UA unique elite privileges will not

While initially, the UA BP will not show up on the app, it will later. Once the non-UA flights have been flown / boarded (in technical terms, their segment coupons have been lifted.)

Archive: Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This one has me somewhat confused because of how Air Canada offers one free bag *plus* *G benefits.

Ticketed by United
Booking class: X
Operating carrier: Air Canada
3 pax on same itinerary, one of whom is 1K/*G

In the past, such as last year, we've checked 3-4 bags for 2 pax on Air Canada who pulled my status from the ticket and applied it to my father (don't ask why) - this year, 3 of us are flying together, which means I am the only one with official status.

My question is around how AC treats X class as far as either 1 or 0 free bags - if it's 1, then we should get 3 free bags plus 1 additional (*G) - but if they don't, then we should get 1 free bag, which then flies against what we've been experiencing for 5+ years with my parents flying on AC via a UA ticket issued with my miles.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What is the origin and destination? X class is (currently) treated across Star Alliance as a "regular" restricted Economy fare class when it comes to unbundled benefits like baggage. Should be one bag as the underlying allowance if flying a route where a normal (non-Light) ticket gets one bag.

ed. to add I would expect underlying 0 bags on a North America itinerary and 1 bag on anything overwater.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Starting my question in this thread, though maybe there's a better split PNR/CPU thread to use (and if so, mods, can you please re-locate)?

We'll be flying TPE-NRT-IAD-CVG next week - obviously, first segment is NH. Obviously, we'll check in with NH...if I've got my time zones right, and check in at the airport, about 22 hours prior to the IAD-CVG segemnt. We're already in E+, so no need to worry about that. We're 2 silvers and a no status. Generally, upgrade odds aren't awful (at least, compared to many other flights in the system). Looks ok right now, but who knows, and definitely don't really expect that to happen in advance.

So assuming we don't get upgraded prior to checking in with NH, is there a way to split the record so we can appear on the gate upgrade list? If so, who do we ask, and is this a simple process? Last time I tried this was probably in the first year or two after the merger, when refusing the split on the outbound automatically made you ineligible on the return. CS at DEN on the return at the time seemed like they had to jump through hoops to get us on the list (I really didn't think it was a big deal - of course, I clearly remember taking off as #1 and #2 left).

Is this better to ask at transfer desk/CS at NRT? CS or gate at IAD? Somewhere else? One concern with giving it a shot at NRT is the possibility of our non-status pax being removed from the automated CPU list and it runs inside of T-24 after the split, and upgrades the 2 silvers separately. Or will the non-status companion still be on the pre-gate CPU list as a result of either being associated with the original PNR with premiers, or being added as a companion by whatever staff is able to manage a split. Potential additional factor is the non-status is a toddler, but obviously, we'll manage that to make sure if any upgrades happen, the toddler will sit in the same cabin as at least one of the parents.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
What is the origin and destination? X class is (currently) treated across Star Alliance as a "regular" restricted Economy fare class when it comes to unbundled benefits like baggage. Should be one bag as the underlying allowance if flying a route where a normal (non-Light) ticket gets one bag.

ed. to add I would expect underlying 0 bags on a North America itinerary and 1 bag on anything overwater.
This was YYZ PBI. We had 3 pax, I being the *G - at check-in, the agent first wanted to charge for all bags, but when I mentioned *G, she put my number in the AC system again and then did not charge for any of the 4 bags we had, which mirrors what usually happens when my parents travel alone on AC in X class booked with UA miles and my UAMP# seems to attach to my father's name in the booking.

So, I believe that AC considers X class as a higher level fare that permits one free bag per pax, and then with my *G, I had an additional bag, which mirrors the experience we've been having for 5+ years now of doing this - either that, or *G gets 4 bags with X class (doubtful), or every single airport agent we've encountered at YYZ or FLL/PBI for many years has been super nice and flexible with the bags, but I doubt it.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am flying OGG-HNL-IAD-EWR tomorrow - all one ticket, but first segment is on HA (but UA codeshare). Can I check in at the UA desks tomorrow, or do I have to go to the HA desk?
Old May 25, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Can I check in at the UA desks tomorrow, or do I have to go to the HA desk?
Always check in with the operator of the first flight.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Always check in with the operator of the first flight.
Gah, okay - hope my TSA PreCheck access carries over. Thanks!
Old May 25, 2019, 6:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Gah, okay - hope my TSA PreCheck access carries over. Thanks!
It has for me but did appear to be much difference

BTW, no elite bag waiver
Old May 25, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
TSA usually carries over (and it is worth it on Sundays). HA counter is closest to TSA, so that's a small consolation. United is at the far end of the check-in hall.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:02 am

I am flying OGG-HNL-IAD-EWR tomorrow - all one ticket, but first segment is on HA (but UA codeshare). Can I check in at the UA desks tomorrow, or do I have to go to the HA desk?
You might have to get your united boarding passes in HNL. Last two times I flew HNL-KOA-LAX, checked in with HA then had to get the second leg UA boarding pass in KOA.
opusx100 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:14 am

My experience has always been of you have to “check in” then it’s considered the first segment and the carrier carrying you their rules apply.

Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:20 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I posted part of this query in another thread, but perhaps I should have posted it here.

LHR-BRU-ORD, part of a paid roundtrip on a 016 ticket purchased from UA. First leg has a UA codeshare flight number 9900, operated by SN. However, the SN site tells me that the flight is actually operated by a partner airline of SN, so I can't get a seat assignment even with the SN booking ref, and have no idea if I will get any kind of free bag allowance. The whole question of where I check in at LHR and with which airline, let alone how I get BPs for the whole itinerary, is another issue if SN is not the actual operating carrier.

Any info gratefully received.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by 1P
I posted part of this query in another thread, but perhaps I should have posted it here.

LHR-BRU-ORD, part of a paid roundtrip on a 016 ticket purchased from UA. First leg has a UA codeshare flight number 9900, operated by SN. However, the SN site tells me that the flight is actually operated by a partner airline of SN, so I can't get a seat assignment even with the SN booking ref, and have no idea if I will get any kind of free bag allowance. The whole question of where I check in at LHR and with which airline, let alone how I get BPs for the whole itinerary, is another issue if SN is not the actual operating carrier.

United Flight 9900 is operated by Brussels Airlines dba Eurowings GmbH

Therefore, unless you have specific check-in information, see if Eurowings has a dedicated check-in counter at BRU. If not, I would go the the SN counter -- and they would either check you in or direct you to the correct location.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P

Is this the first leg of the roundtrip or the first leg of the return?

If it’s the first leg of the roundtrip, you will get UA’s basic (non-status) baggage allowance for your fare. You will not get an extra bag for *G, because EuroWings is not a Star Alliance carrier. It should be printed on your receipt, but crossed-out.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:38 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I see that I need to be more specific, which leads to further questions.

LHR-BRU-ORD represents the first two legs of a roundtrip ticket, booked on United with a 016 ticket number. The original fare class was W, with the BRU-ORD leg upgraded with a GPU becauze PZ was available at the time of booking. The LHR-BRU flight is a Brussels Airlines codeshare, UA 9900.

The receipt has now come through. It did not give me the Brussels Airlines confirmation reference (but I had already had that from the confirmation at time of booking). The receipt tells me Flight operated by BRUSSELS AIRLINES doing business as EUROWINGS GMBH. If this is an originating flight on your itinerary, please check in at the BRUSSELS AIRLINES ticket counter.
Interesting. I assume this does mean checking in at a ticket counter in LHR T2 and not at a check-in desk.

The receipt also gives me the following baggage allowance information on a grid:
London, England (LHR - Heathrow) to Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare) 1st bag 0.00 USD 2nd bag 0.00 USD
Below the grid, it says
Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier 1K membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three bags (within specified size and weight limits).
That makes me wonder if there is a difference between "baggage check-in" and passenger check-in, and whether I could go to a United check-in desk and ask them to route my bags on a direct flight to Chicago. I suspect the answer will be No!

I then use the Brussels Airlines booking reference to locate my record on the Brussels Airlines website. It tells me
Your flight is (partially) operated by another airlines than Brussels Airlines. Please consult the website of our partner airline for up-to-date information on your baggage allowance.

So I go to the Eurowings website, assuming that this is the operating airline. There I discover that baggage allowance is dependent on what kind of ticket you have and the route you are flying. It appears that there is BASIC, SMART, BEST and BIZZ classes. Not sure how I am supposed to know where my upgradeable W fare fits in to this.

It also appears that baggage booked and paid for in advance is less expensive than baggage paid for at the airport. Additionally, it seems certain that carry-on is weight-limited, which may be an issue, especially if only one piece is permitted (but there is no clear statement of whether that applies to me)..

In the midst of all this, I also discover that my flight could be operated as a codeshare by Germanwings, or Eurowings Europe, or Czech Airlines (some of whose flights are operated by Delta....), or even LGW or TUIfly (both Lufthansa subsidiaries, neither of which in fact operate from LHR).

Brussels Airlines also directs me to MSC:

Most Significant Carrier rule

For tickets including flights with other airlines than Brussels Airlines the Most Significant Carrier rule applies according to the IATA resolution 302, effective as from April 2011.
As a general rule, the free baggage allowances apply when Brussels Airlines operates the geographically longest or most significant stretch of the journey. If the longest leg or the most significant stretch of the journey is operated by another airlines, its baggage allowance rules may apply on Brussels Airlines flights or on codeshared flights. The applicable free baggage allowance is mentioned on your electronic ticket.

Exception for flights to, from and across the USA and Canada.

Under the consumer protection law by the US Department of Transportation and the Decision issued by the Canadian Transport Authority (CTA) that apply to all flights to, from and across the USA and Canada following baggage conditions apply:
  • Consistency of baggage rules: same free baggage allowance, excess baggage charges and hand baggage regulations are to be applied throughout the journey
  • The applicable baggage rules are usually the ones set by the airline listed first on the ticket
  • Any airlines listed as first carrier on a ticket can chose freely to transfer the baggage rules to any other airline in the itinerary (MSC).
Again, it is difficult to see how this may or may not impact my itinerary. I can't believe that on my return legs, which begin with United, they will try to impose the baggage regulations of the first carrier on the complete itinerary.

I suspect that I am going to have to make a number of phone calls before i can discover exactly what scenario I have gotten myself into!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.