Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}

Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Depending on who the parter is, you may be able to get their PNR from united's website (this is certainly true if its LH). If not, you can get it by calling United.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will need to call United to get the other airline's PNR for this reservation. (Out of interest, what airline?) Otherwise the answer to your question is 'Yes'.
You check in with the airline operating the first segment. You wouldn't check in at united.com. The answer to the question is 'no.' OP can check in online using the partner's system, assuming that airline has online check-in.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You will need to check-in with the partner. Depending on the partner, they may or may not be able to check you in downline for the UA flight. If not, you will need to obtain your UA boarding pass at the transfer desk or at the gate.

As others had pointed out, the partner's record locator may be available through United.com. If not, you can obtain the locator through the partner by providing date, flight information, and name.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by jsloan
You check in with the airline operating the first segment. You wouldn't check in at united.com. The answer to the question is 'no.' OP can check in online using the partner's system, assuming that airline has online check-in.
Not sure about UA, but I have in the past checked in online for segments 2 and up in an itinerary with airline B, then checked in with the partner airline in person the next day for Airline A. Airline A did not offer online check in for my flight but I wanted to secure decent seats on my TATL flights free of charge at check in.

I think the answer to the OPs question is yes and no. You can (possibly UA, definitely other airlines) check in online for later segments, but that does NOT check you in for the first segment. IME.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yytleisure
I think the answer to the OPs question is yes and no. You can (possibly UA, definitely other airlines) check in online for later segments, but that does NOT check you in for the first segment. IME.
UA does not allow online check-in if there is an earlier partner segment still on the reservation. OP can check in online once the coupon is lifted -- generally, at some point after the partner boarding pass is scanned, depending on how quickly that information gets passed through to UA.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
My itinerary starts with a United partner airline which connects to a United TATL flight. Can I check in on-line at united.com 24 hours before the first flight? ...
As others have mentioned the answer is no (initially). You must first check-in with the partner.

However, sometimes this does not fully check you in (such as get you on the gate upgrade list or get you a BP or you want to do SDC), if that happens you will be able to check-in with UA once the partner puts the ticket coupon for their flight. This probably will not be until after your board the partner's flight. So if there is inflight wifi or on landing you can finish the check-in with UA.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As others have mentioned the answer is no (initially). You must first check-in with the partner.

However, sometimes this does not fully check you in (such as get you on the gate upgrade list or get you a BP or you want to do SDC), if that happens you will be able to check-in with UA once the partner puts the ticket coupon for their flight. This probably will not be until after your board the partner's flight. So if there is inflight wifi or on landing you can finish the check-in with UA.
I don't think I have ever had a problem checking in with a JV partner connecting to UA, but there are more issues when the first carrier is an unfriendly Star Alliance member or a partner UA interlines with like CX on HKG-MNL-HKG. It's never caused me any problem so long as I have have my UA itinerary on my mobile device and can show to security in transit check. Maybe once these huge mergers are consumed into what we now call the US3, maybe more budget will be invested in the airlines' reservations systems so these alliances are more seamless. I find just being friendly and polite usually gets me out of most airport hiccups
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA does not allow online check-in if there is an earlier partner segment still on the reservation. OP can check in online once the coupon is lifted -- generally, at some point after the partner boarding pass is scanned, depending on how quickly that information gets passed through to UA.
With LH it's pretty quick. Returning from the EU I usually do an overnight stopover in FRA and I am able to check in for my UA flight by the time I get to the FRA Hilton.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TomMM
With LH it's pretty quick. Returning from the EU I usually do an overnight stopover in FRA and I am able to check in for my UA flight by the time I get to the FRA Hilton.
With most partners it's very fast -- I usually see my onward UA boarding passes on my phone while still at the gate waiting to depart on the LH segment.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will need to call United to get the other airline's PNR for this reservation. (Out of interest, what airline?) Otherwise the answer to your question is 'Yes'.
Swiss Airlines
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler

Swiss Airlines
With Swiss (LX), the UA PNR should work BUT the name issue could be a problem -- such as on LX, first name includes middle name concatenated to the first name.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:30 am

Thumbs up Success

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With Swiss (LX), the UA PNR should work BUT the name issue could be a problem -- such as on LX, first name includes middle name concatenated to the first name.
Thanks! Once I entered my first and middle name as you suggested I was able to see my itinerary and select seats for my upcoming flights.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
This seems wrong.

I'm flying GVA-ORD connecting in FRA. First flight is LH, UA codeshare 016 stock. United.com claims I have one bag at 23 kg free and $100 for the 2nd bag. This seems to fit neither United's nor Lufthansa's rules for a 1K/Star Gold, on any fare basis.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
This seems wrong.

I'm flying GVA-ORD connecting in FRA. First flight is LH, UA codeshare 016 stock. United.com claims I have one bag at 23 kg free and $100 for the 2nd bag. This seems to fit neither United's nor Lufthansa's rules for a 1K/Star Gold, on any fare basis.
Do you have a Light fare? There are no free bags for general members / 1 free bag for *G on a Light fare, and you wouldn't get the 1K allowance because your check-in doesn't occur with UA.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I don't think so. It is a fare basis of W, but corporate travel is not supposed to be able to buy either BE or Light fares. Also, I am waitlisted for an upgrade on the TATL segment, which shouldn't happen on a Light fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.