Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Line checkers @ UA's EWR Terminal C limiting access based on departure gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for the new thread if so. EWR sucks because (1) UA does not open premier security lines (2) The security line monitors will make you to go to the security checkpoint closest to your gate number regardless of the load at that checkpoint and (3) checked baggage can easily take 45 minutes+ to receive on arriving flights. Here's a hint for point (2): if you book your tickets in advance and have your boarding passes emailed to you then your boarding passes will say "Not Yet Assigned" for your gate. This magic value allows you to get through any of the security lines at will. Enjoy.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
The people who direct you to a security line are contractors. Just ignore them or say you prefer to go to X checkpoint and they'll let you through
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blackllotus
Apologies for the new thread if so. EWR sucks because (1) UA does not open premier security lines (2) The security line monitors will make you to go to the security checkpoint closest to your gate number regardless of the load at that checkpoint and (3) checked baggage can easily take 45 minutes+ to receive on arriving flights. Here's a hint for point (2): if you book your tickets in advance and have your boarding passes emailed to you then your boarding passes will say "Not Yet Assigned" for your gate. This magic value allows you to get through any of the security lines at will. Enjoy.
To your points:
(1) I've been through the premier security line, so as a generic rule, UA doesn't open Premier security lines is false
(2) that's not IME. Though I don't typically originate at EWR unless I am returning from a trip to NYC, it's typically UAX and my standard is to use the C checkpoints even when I'm departing from A (and take the shuttle over - food options are much better on C and they have a real pre-check) and I have never been refused.
(3) I've seen worse - like over an hour for the first bag to come out at YYZ, and that's not necessarily out of the ordinary there.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:55 am

I can't really comment on your first two points, as I have not had similar experiences (other than TSAPre being closed). Point 3, however, is a fact of life flying UA into EWR. I just plan added time into my schedule if flying into EWR and go straight to the Dunkin Donuts in baggage claim rather than to the baggage carousel.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: AADULtArer
You can quickly claim your bag and then be 4 cars ahead of me on the I95. Welcome to NY/NJ.

Of all the major airports in the world, it's far from the worst.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
True - Manilla is worse, but has better weather....
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor

True, but like most major U.S. airports, it's a {mess} on a good day. The simple reality in this country is that we don't do large airports well, which is an embarrassment for a first world country.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:06 am Reason: language
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I would add:

The rude, unhelpful, downright nasty United staff based at Newark

The crappy, overpriced, no staff OTG food experience

Perpetual flight delays, exacerbated by the rude, unhelpful, downright nasty United staff based at Newark.

EWR sucks on every level.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Totally Agree

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I would add:

The rude, unhelpful, downright nasty United staff based at Newark

The crappy, overpriced, no staff OTG food experience

Perpetual flight delays, exacerbated by the rude, unhelpful, downright nasty United staff based at Newark.

EWR sucks on every level.
I totally agree EWR staff are Rudest in the world!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rrohio; Nov 25, 2015 at 5:13 am Reason: 2
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Service at EWR has always been bad.

I've always had Premier access passing through security.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
contact the Port Authority

EWR is owned & operated by the Port Authority. I suggest you re-direct your concerns there (they have a WEB feedback form on their WEB site).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:00 am Reason: OMNI content deleted
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Points 1 is patently false.

There is absolutely a premier line - in fact it's a Star Alliance Fast Track line as well. See checkpoint C-2.

Point 2 - those 'crowd control' people think they're helping keeping the lines balanced but they're really useless. Just go where you want; they have no authority. Tell them you want to use this checkpoint since you're meeting a coworker or something.

Point 3 - it's no worse than luggage anywhere else. I've had an hour wait for bags at friggin SNA; so it can happen anywhere.

Maybe I'm a little jaded because EWR is my home airport but with 75+ segments that have either started or terminated at EWR this year, I really haven't had a problem.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond

Are there any type of rules about which checkpoint you can/must use in EWR Terminal C?

The C2 checkpoint is by far the least used and usually can fly through in a few minutes but has no pre-check lane. I sometimes use it even with pre-check because its so quick to get through at times but recently the redcoats have been pushing hard at making you use the checkpoint closest to your gate. I usually just tell them I am going to the UC close to C2/C3 and they will wave me through.

Yesterday, I was traveling with a few non elites non pre-check and told them to use C2 because there was a very small line and I would meet them outside the UC. The redcoats would not allow them to use C2, the passengers said we are going to the UC right there and they said nope go down to C1 and walk back.

Trying to determine if there is a valid reason for it or if its just people making up rules.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Making up rules.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by aacharya
Making up rules.
+1000 - I have even gone through security in terminal A when my flight leaves from C....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.