Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancellations due to terror threat?

Old Nov 23, 15, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus IK, IHG Platinum

I see the US government has issued a warning to US citizens regarding possible terrorist attacks to travellers about 15 minutes ago and a friend who is a passenger on a flight to the USA later this week has asked what are the chances of United allowing him to postpone the flight till sometime next year when hopefully things will be calmer ..?
Or will it be the case that United will apply its standard cancellation terms.?
Old Nov 23, 15, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quite unlikely that UA will issue a blanket travel waiver at this point. Especially on such a vague warning.
Old Nov 23, 15, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Antonio007 View Post
I see the US government has issued a warning to US citizens regarding possible terrorist attacks to travellers about 15 minutes ago and a friend who is a passenger on a flight to the USA later this week has asked what are the chances of United allowing him to postpone the flight till sometime next year when hopefully things will be calmer ..?
Or will it be the case that United will apply its standard cancellation terms.?
Hasn't there been a general threat to US travelers in effect for the past 15 years anyway? I can't imagine that a waiver will be issued for something like this unless it gets way more specific.
Old Nov 23, 15, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
The govt notice basically says "be aware of your surroundings when travelling."

So, essentially what any good traveler should be doing anyway.

Still more likely to get hurt driving to the airport, than by terrorists when at my destination(s).
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:22 pm

Programs: 1k
I personally would cancel nothing now.
This is an issue I believe all of us will be dealing with for the rest of our lives.

For now, I don't think UA is going to give him a free pass.
But if he is that concerned, $300 should be not a problem for his piece of mind.
Old Nov 24, 15, 12:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
US State Department travel alert -- 23 Nov 2016

State Department issues worldwide travel alert - CNN

The alert does not instruct Americans to avoid travel, but it does urge U.S. citizens to "exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation."
Since UA nor any other domestic based international airline has issued an travel waiver, this is best covered in a more generic forum, such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-citizens.html and so in the meantime will close this thread. If the situation changes, the thread can be reopened.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: