Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Responds to VX: 15x SFO-DEN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Keep in mind that it will also vary by pricing. For the UA/SQ flights it is definitely end-on-end pricing rather than a single fare component pro-rated through. I'm pretty sure VX and B6 are the same way. That can skew the numbers significantly depending on where the connection point is.
Yeah, just seeing what they sell, pricing wasn't a consideration. Changing the request to first class, UA, VX and B6 show up as options on first leg out of DEN depending on routing. VX would not be most peoples first choice as the layover in SFO is 5 hours.

Last edited by transportbiz; Nov 25, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by transportbiz
DOJ doesn't typically appear to be the prosecutor in many antitrust cases. Don't they file a plaintiffs claim?
Most enforcement actions are civil rather than criminal but the DOJ's role is largely the same.

Originally Posted by transportbiz
That they haven't decided to sue United about EWR-LAX/SFO practices, doesn't mean they aren't going to.

Also, I think the next time UA goes to congress to testify about something or another, some astute questions might be posed about promises they made during their merger approval testimony about not doing this very thing. In fact, I would have titled the thread: UA breaks promise to congress in attempt to block weaker competitor.
Excellent points.

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Nov 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by exerda
UA's /UPDI fares map to various F/C fare classes (mine have gone to P, A, and Z this year, with a couple booking into full C strangely); I'm not sure why that would be all that different than VX offering a D fare. Discount F is discount F, however implemented.
This is not quite true - a fare Lxxxxx/UPDI which books into P will require both P and L space to be bookable, whereas the D fare from VX is available whenever there is D space in the front cabin, regardless of how full it is in Y. The lack of correlation between the fares means that VX fares can end up where F is close to, or even less than, Y. It's most common about 7 days out on routes/flights that are leisure-heavy (this is usually my excuse for springing for otherwise expensive VX F).

What I really don't know is what percentage of UA's front cabin is getting filled with the lowest /UPDI fares - that is, whether they sell out of L or P first. If the low economy buckets are filled with Y pax, then UA is going to end up with higher average revenue for the F cabin. It's a similar difference for VX MCS - it's not a differentially priced fare, so it will look more affordable when the low economy buckets are sold and UA F has gone up too.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
If you would like to get familiar with the precedent here is paper you could have easily located with a simple google search: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/students/gr...2.robenalt.pdf

Spirit prevailed, though I don't think that proves anything for or against UA here - my point is merely that there are defined legal concepts for defining "predatory pricing", since you originally asked how one would determine whether the pricing was predatory.

I have no knowledge of the DOJ's assessment of this situation.

Again, I have performed no analysis of that situation and cannot assist.

Your assumption is wrong. I am referring to behavior by United which could be deemed to reduce competition.
Thank you for the searching tips..

I originally actually cut and pasted some of the text in your OP, and found the court case itself. While it does say that Spirit got the lower court summary judgement (in favor of Northwest) thrown out, it does not say (or I could not understand) what the final result of the case was...

When I review the academic paper at the link you posted, I find this portion of it to be most relevant to this UA vs. VX discussion:

“Despite the seemingly predatory response of dominant hub carriers such as Northwest and American Airlines their conduct in the airline industry their actions have gone without censure under the antitrust laws.

These major airlines are pricing above costs on routes as a whole, but they are sacrificing profits and pricing low enough to drive out entrants. As Professor Edlin remarks: “If the law fails to recognize these low prices as predatory because they are above cost, consumers are the unambiguous losers.”

Although consumers benefit in the short run as a major airline and low-fare entrant engage in a price war, the consumer ultimately suffers once the entrant is forced from the market and the major
airline resumes monopoly pricing.”

Which essentially seems to say: in the authors opinion, predatory pricing in the airline industry exists and should be punished, but the current law and metrics to prove an airline is pricing flights below there actual cost are inadequate to bring (and win) a legal case...

For VX, or the DOJ should they choose to engage, it seems the 'prove UA is flying below their cost' element of the law would be difficult or impossible to achieve. SFO is a hub, DEN is a hub, there is O/D traffic but also significant connecting traffic.

UA (it seems) would make the case that while the SFO-DEN leg is priced low, when you add the price of the entire connecting itinerary, they are not pricing below their cost.

It seems to me that this is a very low bar for the airlines to exceed.

Which leads to the last point of your cited paper: Laws should be changed to make it easier to punish airlines for what appears may be predatory pricing behavior.

Until and unless these laws are changed, it does not seem like VX or the DOJ will take this to court...

Then again, I did not think the DOJ would get involved in the gate swap agreement between UA and DL (EWR/JFK), and they did.

So, you never know!

Last edited by LarkSFO; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Until and unless these laws are changed, it does not seem like VX or the DOJ will take this to court...
I'm not sure I have the same conviction as you do in the DOJ/VX's unwillingness to cry foul, but I don't think your conclusion is an unreasonable one either.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
UA is a company that tries to squeeze competitors.
Wait, what?

The usual criticism around these parts is that UA whimps out and "abandons" markets when competition shows up.

Which is it?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
Wait, what?

The usual criticism around these parts is that UA whimps out and "abandons" markets when competition shows up.

Which is it?
A couple of folks have opined with this "Darn FT, you can't have it both ways!" and I don't think it's fair. We're not talking about United downgauging or abandoning a hub-xxx route when competition shows up, we're talking about two United hubs and a punitive (rather than competitive) response (no way United sustains this frequency if it gets VX out).
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A couple of folks have opined with this "Darn FT, you can't have it both ways!" and I don't think it's fair. We're not talking about United downgauging or abandoning a hub-xxx route when competition shows up, we're talking about two United hubs and a punitive (rather than competitive) response (no way United sustains this frequency if it gets VX out).
To me the real issue is that UA is creating over-capacity on this single route while they have a mainline shortage throughout the rest of the domestic network.

DOJ is already investigating capacity cuts by the four majors and whether that's a collusive, anti-competitive practice. When you combine the one (cutting domestic capacity to force prices up) with the other (dedicating empty seats to a single route where VX is trying to compete) it's really not a pretty picture and I would certainly hope DOJ takes a look at the overall approach here, and whether it's harmful to competition and consumers.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
DOJ is already investigating capacity cuts by the four majors and whether that's a collusive, anti-competitive practice. When you combine the one (cutting domestic capacity to force prices up) with the other (dedicating empty seats to a single route where VX is trying to compete) it's really not a pretty picture and I would certainly hope DOJ takes a look at the overall approach here, and whether it's harmful to competition and consumers.
To a point made (somewhat tangentially) by Lark, my fear here is that the DOJ may not have many tools at its disposal. Being a monopoly / oligopoly isn't itself illegal. The current legal framework around predatory pricing is not obviously helpful, and it is incredibly hard to prove collusion. What is obviously collusive behavior to us as consumers -- draw downs of capacity and increasing fares on routes with limited competition -- may not be illegal absent firm evidence of explicit coordination.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To a point made (somewhat tangentially) by Lark, my fear here is that the DOJ may not have many tools at its disposal. Being a monopoly / oligopoly isn't itself illegal. The current legal framework around predatory pricing is not obviously helpful, and it is incredibly hard to prove collusion. What is obviously collusive behavior to us as consumers -- draw downs of capacity and increasing fares on routes with limited competition -- may not be illegal absent firm evidence of explicit coordination.
I don't disagree with that. And I will add that anti-trust is a highly specialized area in which I don't profess to be expert. I just think DOJ should take a look at it. Because it smells bad. And they're already looking at the majors' capacity reductions. And have initially rejected the DL/UA gate trade at JFK/EWR.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:26 pm

How is this a punitive, rather than competitive, response?

A new entrant and the additional capacity from UA will stimulate demand. UA operated more than this number of flights, with greater capacity, in the recent past. Is there something else that points to a punitive response?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2015 at 12:46 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
How is this a punitive, rather than competitive, response?

A new entrant and the additional capacity from UA will stimulate demand. UA operated more than this number of flights, with greater capacity, in the recent past. Is there something else that points to a punitive response?

It's punitive for the reason I placed in the parenthetical -- that it is (in my expectation) a temporary measure meant to make the route unprofitable for a competitor rather than to make their own product superior on a non-transitory basis.

I could be proven wrong if United sustained this level of service after a VX exit or otherwise -- only time will tell, but I am extremely skeptical.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 26, 2015 at 3:18 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
You're giving an awful lot of credit to UA there , a lot of people here would beg to differ in my experience .
People here love to hate on UA, but when push comes to shove, all else equal, I'd still rather have a confirmed seat in UA E- than free for all on WN. Can't speak for F9 - never flown them.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'd still rather have a confirmed seat in UA E- than free for all on WN.
Free for all? Not since they implemented the A/B/C system. It's more civilized than UA's system IMO. If your boarding number is B30 or better, you'll get a window or aisle. For $12.50 early bird fee, you'll get an A boarding number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.