Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Global First SIN to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:10 am
Original Poster

United Global First SIN to HKG

Hi - can anyone please share their experience flying United Global First between Singapore and Hong Kong? Is it worth the money for this route in terms of hard and soft product?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
As a paid ticket? Worth the money? Really?!

You have far better options on this route in paid F (chief among them SQ!). Hard product, soft product, aircraft age, even timing of the SIN-HKG flight -- by any measure, UA is lousy.

Unless you are burning a GPU on top of a paid BusinessFirst ticket, or by some policy you *must* fly UA, your dollars are better spent on another carrier's F product.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by kiwiflyer83
Hi - can anyone please share their experience flying United Global First between Singapore and Hong Kong? Is it worth the money for this route in terms of hard and soft product?
IMO no. RT is $3.6k USD for a 4-hour flight. There's always a reason where there are no takers on the GF seat when you normally check in within T-24 of the flight. You can't really enjoy much from the SQ First class lounge when you check in at 4a.m. local time and flight takes off at 5:45a.m. It's just not worth the money. With all that said, if you want more privacy, and the flight is at least 7-hour or longer, then that's a different discussion.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I flew in GF from HKG to SIN earlier this year. However, I was on an award ticket. The flight is only about two and half hours so we got a substantial snack as a meal plus the typical UA beverage options. NOT worth paying for a seat IMHO. I would look to SQ or TG and pay for their first class product.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Hard product if I'm not mistaken is the PMUA 777-200 that just flew in from ORD. I sat in GF about 2 weeks ago on the way from ORD. As everyone before me said, its a no brainer if you can fly SQ instead. Both food and service would have to be lightyears ahead of anything you would get on UA. There are what UA calls 8 personal suites on this aircraft. Besides for privacy, I personally felt that the BF seats on the PMCO 777's were more comfortable than these seats.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: 1k
No, not worth it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
NO!

A thousand times no!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just flown this last week...

The seat was nice..
Movies seems to be the same selection as all the other airlines I've flown that week.
UA, TG, AI, AC

Amenities: you get loose amenities from a basket.
Breakfast: fruit plate & Hainanese chicken
http://imgur.com/1TYuF1w
http://imgur.com/BkweYeD
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
Flew it six weeks ago...no entertainment system, managed a semi fix in HK for leg back stateside.

Agree with others - Singapore Air definitely the better choice.

Only reason I was in GF was wife travelling with me on points and we burned GPU's for the upgrade. The HK-ORD leg might be worth it but not SIN-HGK
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Did this flight in business earlier this year -- fairly decent poached eggs for breakfast and a nice lie-flat seat + IFE. Service was totally unremarkable, but not bad.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Not worth it.

The meals between GF and BF are practically identical where the only difference might be the fruit plate. In BF the fruit portion is smaller and comes in a bowl, while in GF the fruit plate is on a plate and looks slightly more appetizing.

Yes I know the GF seat is more spacious than the setup in BF, but more often that not on this route BF is not even full.

If you are paying for F, please do yourself a favor and take SQ as the product is far superior and the flight leaves at a decent hour.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Frankly for a flight that short I'd buy a Y ticket and pocket the change. But if you're paying premium cabin, then go SQ on the A380. If you have time to kill, go TG via BKK and enjoy the BKK ground services.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Definitely not worth it.
The only time it's worth it if it is as a connecting leg of an award ticket where the main carrier is not UA!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eyuro
Besides for privacy, I personally felt that the BF seats on the PMCO 777's were more comfortable than these seats.
GF is no longer competitive as a paid product v other airlines,

but Please. Let's be data driven.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
This is one of those routes and times of departure that lie-flat business is all you need. I took both of these flights last week in BF. Everyone sleeps from HKG-SIN, and many people sleep from SIN-HKG. No advantage to riding up front, unless it's free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.