Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines to Bring Customers Coffee's 'Gold Standard' with illy Premium Blend

CHICAGO, Nov. 19, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines and illycaffe are creating a new alliance that will offer the Italian company's delicious premium blend to delight customers on board and in United Club locations worldwide.

Beginning next month, United will offer illy's signature scuro dark roast and the coffee company's espresso in United Club locations at the airline's mainland U.S. hubs. Other lounge locations will offer illy in 2016, with the scuro dark roast coming to flights worldwide next summer.

Not Just a Cup of Coffee
Chosen after extensive testing with United customers and employees – including in-flight taste tests – illy reflects the airline's global network as well as United's commitment to creating an elevated, distinctive premium experience for its customers.

Based in Trieste, Italy, with more than 80 years of history in the coffee industry, illy's distinct flavor comes from a unique blend of the top one percent of Arabica beans, purchased directly from the best growers in Brazil, Central America, India and Africa.

Noted for its strong commitment to sustainability, illy's internationally certified supply chain includes farmers who earn above-market prices in exchange for meeting quality standards – enabling the company to offer world-class blends.

A recent Wine Spectator magazine article praised the coffee, saying it "has become a gold standard in high-end restaurants and five-star hotels around the world."

"Our collaboration with illy is helping to make the world feel a bit smaller and making flying that much more special, simply by way of a perfect cup of coffee," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of food services and United Clubs. "By serving the world's most well-known premium coffee in our clubs and on board, we are communicating an experience to our customers and our employees with the quality and care that comes with every cup."

"It's truly an honor for illy to be selected as the worldwide coffee partner for United Airlines. The process and final decision to choose illy demonstrates United's deep commitment to providing its customers the highest quality products and experiences," said Andrea Illy, Chairman and CEO of illycaffe s.p.a. "Our new relationship with United Airlines is also a testament to our passion for the best and recognition that the illy brand is the world's reference for coffee culture and excellence."

Illy will be complimentary on every flight and when offered in United's lounges.
Print Wikipost

UA serving illy’s world-class coffee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The first post said it would be in the clubs by now - is it? How does it taste?
I had a FreshPoo cup on MRY-LAX and 35 min later some Illy at the old GFL UC, wonderful and great difference.
(This is drinking it black...if you're light and sweet I'm not sure what to say other than ick)

Regarding Easy Jet....I noticed they also have FAs and lavs on their airplanes. I can't believe United does that as well! A true race to the bottom!!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
Maybe if we start a campaign to get all UA pax to order a coffee inflight and not drink it, then the supply of the Freshpoo will be exhausted quicker? @:-)
Actually, the FA said they are doing about that themselves. They will only let the pot sit for about 5 minutes, then pour it out and always make a fresh pot. She said that was to get through the inventory as fast as possible. ^^^
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Coming soon to United: illy’s world-class coffee

Thanks folks, looking forward to trying it out! Glad to read they chose well. My UA flights begin in May, so I am counting on you all to flush out all the Freshpoo by then.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
"I'd like 5 cups of coffee please, then 5 more after takeoff. Thanks!"
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The first post said it would be in the clubs by now - is it? How does it taste?

When does it get loaded on flights? Any more granularity on schedule?
Disclaimer - link to my own blog

It was really, really good, at least in ORD RCC

http://upgrd.com/matthew/how-does-un...fee-taste.html
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Had the illy coffee at UC in IAD a month ago. You can't overstate the improvement. F/A said the June roll out was to setup a US-based coffee roasting facility. I assume this is as accurate as most F/A rumors.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by blueman2
was on a flight from SFO to SAT the other day, and asked when new coffee was coming. As reported in other places, she said they had a 6 month inventory of the old coffee and would not be able to offer Illy until mid 2016. Ugh.
Gawd! Even the best coffee is awful after a month or 2...(a day or two to us Bay Area snobs!). Nothing about bad coffee sitting in an airport warehouse for 6 months makes me want a refill!!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Was at the West DEN UC (that's the low number one, right?) Saturday morning and the coffee was in an unmarked carafe. Are there any clubs still serving FreshBrew or can I assume it's Illy?

Wasn't bad, wasn't great either. The lack of a pitcher of half&half was disappointing. Opening thimbles of CoffeeMate creamer is something I expect in a greasy spoon.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by blueman2
Actually, the FA said they are doing about that themselves. They will only let the pot sit for about 5 minutes, then pour it out and always make a fresh pot. She said that was to get through the inventory as fast as possible. ^^^
Which goes to show the FA's have more business sense that United's management. I'm sure Illy can rush ship enough coffee to United to allow it to immediately landfill the unbrewed Freshbrew.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Was at the West DEN UC (that's the low number one, right?) Saturday morning and the coffee was in an unmarked carafe. Are there any clubs still serving FreshBrew or can I assume it's Illy?

Wasn't bad, wasn't great either. The lack of a pitcher of half&half was disappointing. Opening thimbles of CoffeeMate creamer is something I expect in a greasy spoon.
Even SAN has Illy. All hubs should have it by now. DFW of course would be the outlier

I don't have a problem with opening the packets, and have ALWAYS found real creamer provided, not just the "whitener" ^
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Gawd! Even the best coffee is awful after a month or 2...(a day or two to us Bay Area snobs!). Nothing about bad coffee sitting in an airport warehouse for 6 months makes me want a refill!!
+1000. This is the most crazy thing I have heard in a long time. Roasted Coffee deteriorates rapidly after about 3-4 months. The oils go rancid, and the flavors break down. When it is ground the process is even faster. I has assumed that UA's contract ran through the summer, and they did not want to break the contract. I can see no reason to have 6 months of coffee sitting around, and I can see no reason why UA would ever pre-order that quantity. Expensive to store, and everyone should know that it deteriorates.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Which goes to show the FA's have more business sense that United's management. I'm sure Illy can rush ship enough coffee to United to allow it to immediately landfill the unbrewed Freshbrew.
I think United might need to get a toxic waste disposal permit if they tried to landfill their total supply of Freshbrew all at once. Perhaps this why they are filtering the remainder through unsuspecting pax?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by spin88
I can see no reason to have 6 months of coffee sitting around, and I can see no reason why UA would ever pre-order that quantity. Expensive to store, and everyone should know that it deteriorates.
Lol you should deal with the airlines as a supplier - I can honestly say that with the possible exception of fuel and pax loads the ability of airlines to forecast is incredibly poor - and I mean throwing a dart against the wall would be more accurate.... I deal with SQ and EK on a daily basis and I consider them to be the best of the best - and they still have items they purchase regularly with over two years of inventory - and some items with literally two days of inventory....

There are many (perhaps good) reasons that this happens - but I'm quite sure that Coffee inventory likely isn't on UA's inventory dashboard screen....
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I just wanted to send a quick report that I had my first cup of Illy on board today! They tested the coffee on board the morning ORD-DEN flight today, and we were the first in the network to try it in flight.

And the coffee was great! Definitely an upgrade over the FreshBrew...people actually got refills! Someone from corporate was also on board to oversee the test brewing with the passengers. The flight attendant did say that they cleaned out the water pipes and brew pots thoroughly right before this test however, so maybe that helped too.

They said that it will be rolled out throughout the network by this summer I believe.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jayzala
I just wanted to send a quick report that I had my first cup of Illy on board today! They tested the coffee on board the morning ORD-DEN flight today, and we were the first in the network to try it in flight.

And the coffee was great! Definitely an upgrade over the FreshBrew...people actually got refills! Someone from corporate was also on board to oversee the test brewing with the passengers. The flight attendant did say that they cleaned out the water pipes and brew pots thoroughly right before this test however, so maybe that helped too.

They said that it will be rolled out throughout the network by this summer I believe.
The thing I remember from the Starbucks days on United flights was the nice aroma that wafted through the cabin as pots of coffee were decanted during the service. Does the Illy fragrance diffuse through the cabin too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.