Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded after aircraft change?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Upgraded after aircraft change?

I'm flying with a friend on Friday SFO-HNL and continuing on to KOA. He's a 1K member flying on a paid Z fare. I'm a Platinum member flying on a W fare that was upgraded to BF using an RPU. Originally we were in seats 1A (him) and 1B (me).

At time of booking the flight on Friday (UA 663) was originally a 777-200 Hawaii configuration. This morning we woke up an it was changed to a 3 cabin int'l 777. With the cabin change our seats were moved. I wound up in 1C and he's in row 6.

This is kind of messed up and goes against all the rules I know and understand (which isn't much) about how situations like this should resolve. He's on a much higher fare class ticket and higher MP status than me yet I remained in F while he was moved down to J...not that I'm complaining

Besides the typical response of "United's system is messed up" and this being another example of "great customer service in action", any ideas why this situation might've played out this way?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Besides the typical response of "United's system is messed up" and this being another example of "great customer service in action", any ideas why this situation might've played out this way?
Makes no sense at all. You should both be in business class, and he should have a (very good) shot at a CPU to F.

I wouldn't be surprised to see your seats get moved around again.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Makes no sense at all. You should both be in business class, and he should have a (very good) shot at a CPU to F.

I wouldn't be surprised to see your seats get moved around again.
I had a similar equipment change in August, with two RPU upgraded F seats (adjacent) HNL-SFO. We were on the same PNR that got split into two to get a CPU on the outbound.

I moved both our seats to a two seat pair in J and these stuck from T-48 to departure. If you want to sit adjacent, I'd recommend moving to an open pair of seats - if these are available.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Besides the typical response of "United's system is messed up"
But that's precisely what it is.

Recall the heritage of United's systems -- they came from CO, a 2-cabin airline. They probably don't have a use case for a swap to a 3-cabin aircraft like this.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
interesting that the seatmap shows F booked full out of 48, and C booked full out of 0. they can't seem to decide how many cabins are on that plane. if they're treating it as a two-class flight on a three-class plane, then the system will view 1C and row 6 as being the same cabin, and will see no need to prioritize.

are you WEL, R. 1C ? :-)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Recall the heritage of United's systems -- they came from CO, a 2-cabin airline. They probably don't have a use case for a swap to a 3-cabin aircraft like this.

SHARES ran just fine when CO was a 3-cabin airline, too.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Looks like either the reservation system caught the mistake or an agent did as of this morning the previously booked full F cabin now has two open seats and my double-upgrade, which I think this would've been considered, vanquished!

Not that I'm complaining, an int'l 777 is definitely better than the hawaii configuration which is better than the domestic 2-class plane
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Which Aircraft ?

Is there a way to get more information in advance on which aircraft will be flying my route?

I am on IAH-HNL UA253 12/11 and HNL-IAH UA252 12/20.

Seat selector indicates 772 Hawaii configuration.

Any other way to get more info?

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Harry IAH
Is there a way to get more information in advance on which aircraft will be flying my route?

I am on IAH-HNL UA253 12/11 and HNL-IAH UA252 12/20.

Seat selector indicates 772 Hawaii configuration.

Any other way to get more info?

Cheers.
Closer to the day of travel the flight status will tell you a specific aircraft and details about that plane. Subject to change, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.