Wiki Posts
Search

Booked in F - Flight oversold - Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by freshairborne
This is a serious question: can someone define the term "kettle"? It sounds very derogatory to me. As a pilot at United, I see every passenger on my flights as just as important as every other passenger. I understand that there are different levels of frequent flyer status but I don't consider any one person as more important than any other person.

FAB
It is derogatory & your attitude is appreciated.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Since booked in F (i.e. not an upgrade), you won't get bumped or downgraded. Enjoy your flight.
The odds are the OP won't get bumped or downgraded, but it's not 100% positive he wouldn't be so it's good to ask what to do.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The odds are the OP won't get bumped or downgraded, but it's not 100% positive he wouldn't be so it's good to ask what to do.

Cheers. Sharon
Sure, in the way nothing is 100% positive in any aspect of life. And F=0 doesn't even mean it is overbooked (even though for Y, it almost certainly does).

The OP is asking for advice - mine is to check in however you normally would for any flight on any airline. Make sure you are checked in, have bags checked, if applicable, and be at the gate ready to board by the cutoff times. Whatever is going to happen will happen, as long as the cutoffs are met - no amount of discussion on or off-topic (including about what the term kettle means) is going to change any of that.

If in the very rare case they try to downgrade, stand your ground and insist on proper downgrade comp, or that you be rebooked on F on the next flight (If that's what you want). If you're really worried, have alternate routings available. And don't let anything escalate/get out of hand, as the staff/crew have power over you, and that never turns out well for a pax. In that case, take what they give you and follow up with customer care after. If that still doesn't get you satisfaction, follow up with a PM to UA Insider who can almost certainly help you with a resolution.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole "kettle" thing simply shows how many on FT have been suckered by marketing hype. They seriously think that they are "elite" because they have a shiny plastic card which says they are.

But, they are not elite. They are the true kettles.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
But, they are not elite. They are the true kettles.
Hmm, not sure, how you arrive a this definition/opinion ......
I think goalie's plain & non-derogatory description says it pretty well.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Hmm, not sure, how you arrive a this definition/opinion ......
Must not be an elite
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
[Moderator hat on]

The term "kettle" refers to the old movie characters "Ma and Pa Kettle" who were good old simple country folks who have not experienced much in life outside of their small town let alone the big city (think country bumpkin) and that could/can be translated to/carried forward to first time/very infrequent fliers who don't understand the flying world the way many of us do. Examples would be those who bring everything (up to the kitchen sink) to a security checkpoint only to be told they can't bring the items thru, same type of folks who buy-up to first class and have never experienced it before and etc. And yes, it can be used in a derogatory manner

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
TOPIC CHECK

Please read the bolded part of the quoted post

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.