Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United seat ate my headphones - what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United seat ate my headphones - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Unhappy United seat ate my headphones - what should I do?

I was in Business First on a recent TATL flight. At some point during the flight, the cord for my noise-cancelling headphones got tangled in the mechanism under the seat. After we landed, I tried to get it untangled (with a lot of help from FAs and GAs - who were great). We were not able to get it untangled before I had to leave for a connecting flight. I was told that a mechanic would get it out (the seat was unusable while the cord was tangled in the seat), and that I could stop back by lost and and found at the airport and pick them up on a later trip. When I picked them up a few weeks later, I discovered that they had removed the headphones by simply cutting the cord, effectively destroying my $300 headphones.

In general, I don't usually complain about travel inconveniences, but this one is a little expensive. Should I seek reimbursement from UA or just eat the cost myself?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 02BNFR
I was in Business First on a recent TATL flight. At some point during the flight, the cord for my noise-cancelling headphones got tangled in the mechanism under the seat. After we landed, I tried to get it untangled (with a lot of help from FAs and GAs - who were great). We were not able to get it untangled before I had to leave for a connecting flight. I was told that a mechanic would get it out (the seat was unusable while the cord was tangled in the seat), and that I could stop back by lost and and found at the airport and pick them up on a later trip. When I picked them up a few weeks later, I discovered that they had removed the headphones by simply cutting the cord, effectively destroying my $300 headphones.

In general, I don't usually complain about travel inconveniences, but this one is a little expensive. Should I seek reimbursement from UA or just eat the cost myself?
If you claim costs of replacing the headphone, they might counter-claim the costs of having to repair their seat. I doubt you'd come out ahead in that case.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: 1k
You are lucky you got them back.
There are shops that will repair your headphones. Google it
Do what you want but you created the issue. I would make a claim for nothing.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Cords are readily repairable and some headsets -- such Bose have replaceable cords.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cords are readily repairable and some headsets -- such Bose have replaceable cords.
Yeah - mine even came with two, one with a mic for use on a phone.

I'm assuming OP doesn't have Bose, though - would be a shame to realize this now!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
+1 - this isn't UA's fault in any way - it's like going out to eat at a nice restaurant and spilling your soup on an expensive suit - and then expecting the restaurant to pay for a new one.... I'm no UA apologist but this is in no way their fault....
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United is not / should be not responsible for passengers neglect in handling their own personal property. Someone accidently drops a cellphone into lav. United gets it out, but it no longer works. Is that United's fault? Personal responsibility plays some part in life.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: 1K
I had a similar situation (not with UA) and took it to the BOSE store. They were able to repair for free.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United is not / should be not responsible for passengers neglect in handling their own personal property. Someone accidently drops a cellphone into lav. United gets it out, but it no longer works. Is that United's fault? Personal responsibility plays some part in life.
Is that stated in the CoC? I can't find it.

(sarcasm)
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Interesting replies.

I am a little surprised by those of you who suggested that I caused this problem. Given the location of the headphone plug on these seats, it is inevitable that the headphones will come unplugged inadvertently and often without the passenger even knowing. At that point, it is inevitable that some portion of the cable will get under the seat.

I am also a little surprised by the tone of some of your responses. I asked the question because I was unsure of what to do, not because I strongly felt that United was responsible. From a group that complains about as many petty things as this group does, I would have expected a slightly different reaction.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - this isn't UA's fault in any way - it's like going out to eat at a nice restaurant and spilling your soup on an expensive suit - and then expecting the restaurant to pay for a new one.... I'm no UA apologist but this is in no way their fault....
Bose does stand for Buy other sound equipment though... :P

Some others have indicated that United might pursue you for the cost of removal of the headphone cord or purported "damage to the seat"; I do not think it would be harmful to ask United. That all being said, the cord to your headphones did get caught in their seat, they may or may not approve.

It's not an airline, but Metro North Railroad in New York did roll out M7 series Bombardier railroad trains on New York. It is said that the design of their armrests was prone to catch "trouser pockets" as passengers went to stand to leave the train and tear them. Despite the possibility that you might tend to blame the passenger for a lack of care (or improperly designed "trousers" ), the MTA ate the costs of these repairs and ended up replacing the armrests with ones less likely to catch pants pockets...
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Some people just have different standards. If spill coffee on myself, it's my fault - I don't sue McDonald's. Others will sue McDonald's. There's no harm in asking United for money for the cord you didn't maintain control of.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I am a little surprised by those of you who suggested that I caused this problem. Given the location of the headphone plug on these seats, it is inevitable that the headphones will come unplugged inadvertently and often without the passenger even knowing. At that point, it is inevitable that some portion of the cable will get under the seat.
Yea, the plug placement for the sCO LFBF is awful and I pull it out all the time, but you should be checking where the cable is before moving the seat.

I am also a little surprised by the tone of some of your responses. I asked the question because I was unsure of what to do, not because I strongly felt that United was responsible. From a group that complains about as many petty things as this group does, I would have expected a slightly different reaction.
You should contact the manufacturer for a repair estimate and decide if you want to pay it.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Should I seek reimbursement from UA or just eat the cost myself?
Regardless you are right or wrong, it will be much easier if you simply look for a travel certificate through Customer Care. Reimbursement simply is not UA's style.

However, IMO, I agree that you should eat the cost yourself. In term of responsibility, both UA and you are pretty much half and half. Both UA and you should have foreseen that this could happen.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:06 pm

Foreseen that headphone cords could get stuck? Sure. Foreseen that maintenance would break them? No, because stuck goods are routinely rescued in one piece.

If I were OP I'd definitely make the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.