Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Guatemala
Programs: CM PP DL GM
Posts: 406
Angry UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]

UA on a technicality that I have tried to ask them for the last 2 months decided to close my GS account that I had flown close to 2 MM and had close to 500000 Miles to use .
Due to that last year i was involved in a small private aircraft near fatal crash i started to have PTSD and fear of flight so my wife and i decided that she would when she saw that i was ok to fly she would decided to fly or not with me .
Via my MP account i bought tickets for her and she would check get ready to fly with me and when we where at the gate she would see how i was and she would go with me or just cancel the ticket .
Because i fly a lot this year i was at over 220K when the issue happened i booked many tickets and many where never flown because she saw i was ok and where canceled and return to my account . The simple rule if you are not going to fly cancel and redeposit .
UA says that they close my account because i made reservation with no intent to travel , well i had a reason. So they closed my account and never let me defend my self .
I told i had Dr letters and all to support my PTSD they never let me defend my self that was 2 moths ago that violates all due process .
My company represented a good amount of money for the Guatemala City station since they gave me the boot between all my employees and i have spent over 50K in other carriers .
I feel that i was loyal to UA never had any problems but now that an issue arose they kick me to the curve after my company and i where loyal to them for so many years even when they where better schedule options and prices
I have sent numerous e mails asking to be herd and nothing UA treated my like garbage like the years and thousands and thousands of USD that my company spend where nothing
Is there any other way i can have my case heard by UA because e mails are not working and due process was violated
MARIOCASTRO777 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:15 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,867
Were these revenue tickets or mileage rewards? (sound like reward tickets)

How many tickets would you say were purchased and then canceled at the last minute?
silverforumsurf likes this.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:21 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,217
I would send a private message to UA Insider and ask for some assistance. That would probably be the most effective approach to have your circumstances reviewed.

Added: Not sure how literal to take your post, but there really is not a due process clause in the MileagePlus T&Cs. I would try to think of this more as a customer service / accommodation issue instead of a legal proceeding.

Sorry to hear about your incident in the small plane. Hopefully you continue to progress and your experience does not continue to hinder your activities.

Best of luck.

Last edited by goodeats21; Nov 5, 2015 at 8:11 am Reason: added / typo
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:45 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 591
In the future you may want to have a doctors note at the airport and get a gate pass for you wife. Any airline could do this to you, not just UA- better to have a gate pass for medical assistance than fake tix.
revigik is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:53 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,867
Originally Posted by revigik
In the future you may want to have a doctors note at the airport and get a gate pass for you wife. Any airline could do this to you, not just UA- better to have a gate pass for medical assistance than fake tix.
I think that the OP's wife would have flown with him if he was having any medical issues on a given day, but typically couldn't make the go/no-go decision until right before the flight (i.e., at the gate). If he needed her help, she would have flown with him.

That's my read of the situation. United noticed the plethora of extremely late cancellations (possibly costing them revenue) and took action. I would be interested to know if there were any warnings from the airline prior to them taking this rather Draconian action.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:10 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,690
Cancelling just minutes before departure certainly cost UA lost revenue. Sorry to hear of the OP's traumatic experience, but what else do you expect the airline to do when his actions are possibly costing them many thousands of dollars?
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:11 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: BOS, PVG
Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 10,000
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
UA says that they close my account because i made reservation with no intent to travel , well i had a reason. So they closed my account and never let me defend my self .
This surprised me.

Many of us book mileage tickets, sometimes same routing on different days. When our schedule is finalized, we decide which one to fly and which ones to cancel.

How can UA close your account?

Not to mention you are GS and 1.8 MM.
kb1992 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:14 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,867
Originally Posted by kb1992
This surprised me.

Many of us book mileage tickets, sometimes same routing on different days. When our schedule is finalized, we decide which one to fly and which ones to cancel.

How can UA close your account?

Not to mention you are GS and 1.8 MM.
This is why I asked how many such cancellations were involved.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:29 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,682
Originally Posted by Bonehead
This is why I asked how many such cancellations were involved.
Yes not enough facts here to draw any conclusions.

Making repeated award reservations and then canceling them at the last moment seems an unorthodox method of dealing with the issue that OP describes.
Kacee is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:46 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,867
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes not enough facts here to draw any conclusions.

Making repeated award reservations and then canceling them at the last moment seems an unorthodox method of dealing with the issue that OP describes.
But if the flights tend to sell out, he has limited last-minute options if he in fact needed accompaniment (unless you can think of some other trick). Perhaps rolling the reservation forward would tend to raise fewer red flags than a series of outright cancellations.

Maybe.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:54 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Guatemala
Programs: CM PP DL GM
Posts: 406
Unhappy UA did not concted me before

Yes i was GS and had close to 1.95 MM flown and .5 MM in my account
I have booked many times months in advnace award tickets and return them becuase i was not going to go due to my work never had an issue.
When my doctor suggested that my wife supported me to see if i was ok to travel she supported for all my rehab i asked a UA agent about that they told just make sure you are no show just cancel that is what i did.
UA rules are not above the constitution of any country all countries repect due process and they have just not wanted to listen to me that is wrong .
I even suggested to them to give me penalty or something not vertually kill me in MP because i had a very good relationship with UA i felt like family and that family treated me like garbage that hurts me the most .
I still fly every week and spend money in other airlines and now i my dr ask me to get a support animal now i have one to relive my problem.
I am hurt by the lack of loyalty that UA showed because i was loyal went out of my way to fly with them even when the fares where higher or the route was longer.
I was a loyal customer and my company too but is there a way i can talk to someone because i feel very bretayed i thought that when you are loyal i deserved at least to be listen .
In this life we never know when UA might need loyal customers i was there for them when they went into chapter 11
I have told this problem to many people and all saw that is not fare what can i do
MARIOCASTRO777 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:55 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,217
Not sure that any additional details posted in this thread are going to allow any type of conclusion. The decision was already made by United to terminate a Global Service member's account.

From my read, OP goes beyond booking an award flight, then cancelling when a better option becomes available. Normally, this usually is done days ahead of the original flight...and the member actually flies one of the itineraries.

OP apparently booked the flights speculatively for his spouse and many times cancelled that booking just hours (minutes?) before hand and the spouse did not fly anywhere. Not really the same thing.

If I understand OP, he was asking for a resource at United to review the circumstances and plead his case to restore his account. IMO, the most likely way for this to happen is a private message to UA Insider. While not very active in threads on FT, I believe they still serve as sort of an informal ombudsmen for these types of circumstances.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:58 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by kb1992
This surprised me.

Many of us book mileage tickets, sometimes same routing on different days. When our schedule is finalized, we decide which one to fly and which ones to cancel.

How can UA close your account?

Not to mention you are GS and 1.8 MM.
I think one issue is when the award tickets are cancelled. 1 or more days before travel provides United the opportunity to re-sell the seat. Canceling at the gate does not.

I think Delta addressed this issue by making award tickets non-refundable or changeable within 72 hours of departure.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,582
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
that violates all due process
I am very sorry to hear about your experience, and PTSD. Just FYI going forward there is no due process with airline accounts. They never relinquish ownership of the miles, they just lend them do you, so if and when they close an account or change T&C with no warning....there is nothing "we" we can do about it.

That being said, if you can get touch with UA you may want to tell them that in hindsight you may have wanted to discuss this with them as you are such a HVF and apologize for appearing to be gaming the system by holding tickets you didn't use.

Good luck.
Madone59 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:07 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Guatemala
Programs: CM PP DL GM
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not sure that any additional details posted in this thread are going to allow any type of conclusion. The decision was already made by United to terminate a Global Service member's account.

From my read, OP goes beyond booking an award flight, then cancelling when a better option becomes available. Normally, this usually is done days ahead of the original flight...and the member actually flies one of the itineraries.

OP apparently booked the flights speculatively for his spouse and many times cancelled that booking just hours (minutes?) before hand and the spouse did not fly anywhere. Not really the same thing.

If I understand OP, he was asking for a resource at United to review the circumstances and plead his case to restore his account. IMO, the most likely way for this to happen is a private message to UA Insider. While not very active in threads on FT, I believe they still serve as sort of an informal ombudsmen for these types of circumstances.
How can i contact the insider person
MARIOCASTRO777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.