Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 15, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Jul 20, 17, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
so is there hot meal service for premium economy on PS flights from SFO to Newark?

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...ervice-united/
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by twkidM3 View Post
so is there hot meal service for premium economy on PS flights from SFO to Newark?

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...ervice-united/
Yes, there is a hot meal in Economy Plus on these flights.
Old Jul 21, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Yes, there is a hot meal in Economy Plus on these flights.
Is it a hot breakfast on early AM flights? I can't remember the last time I had eggs in coach.
Old Jul 21, 17, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by twkidM3 View Post
United doesn't have premium economy.
Old Jul 21, 17, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
United doesn't have premium economy.
And yet despite that undeniable fact, with our mighty brains we were able to discern that OP was referring to Economy Plus.
River in Sight, BigE and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Jul 21, 17, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
And yet despite that undeniable fact, with our mighty brains we were able to discern that OP was referring to Economy Plus.
Best.Comment.Ever.
Old Jul 27, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1k
I had read that, in addition to food in E+, alcoholic beverages would now be included as well "The meal will include a hot fresh entre, dessert and fruit, a pre-arrival snack and alcoholic beverages." -- I was charged for drinks on both legs of SFO-EWR this week. Anyone know what the deal is?
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nottarockstar View Post
I had read that, in addition to food in E+, alcoholic beverages would now be included as well "The meal will include a hot fresh entre, dessert and fruit, a pre-arrival snack and alcoholic beverages." -- I was charged for drinks on both legs of SFO-EWR this week. Anyone know what the deal is?
I'd ask for a refund. The press release was pretty clear - except that there is no true "start" date in July.

http://newsroom.united.com/2017-05-3...nental-Service
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did you ask for a "double" ? -- some reports that only "single", and "doubles" will be charged.

What kind of "alcoholic beverage"?

Did you raise the issue with the FA? What was the response?
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Did you ask for a "double" ? -- some reports that only "single", and "doubles" will be charged.

What kind of "alcoholic beverage"?

Did you raise the issue with the FA? What was the response?
I ordered a tito's and soda - when I was asked for payment, I mentioned free drinks, and they responded "only 1k". Figured I had misread the new e+ perks.
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I ordered a tito's and soda - when I was asked for payment, I mentioned free drinks, and they responded "only 1k". Figured I had misread the new e+ perks.
Probably a FA working this flight for the first time after the start of this new benefit -- submit a refund request.
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Unless they mean "wine and beer" only, like on international Y.
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Probably a FA working this flight for the first time after the start of this new benefit -- submit a refund request.
happened on both flights -- luckily for me, the swiper wouldn't work on the way out, so got it for free anyway. Will submit for refund for return and see what they say.
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:41 pm

response from Twitter says all drinks are free: Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Were you provided a meal? Can you let us know if you were also charged on your outbound flight? If you were on a Premium Transcontinental flight you should not have been charged for drinks in Economy Plus. Please submit our refunds request form and select the food purchase refund option:
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Brilliant

Search this Thread