Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Only BOS-SFO was a ps route pre-covid, not BOS-LAX.

I doubt this indicative of ps returning to BOS. UA often has excess 757s in the winter that it has allocated to transcons for years. Other examples are EWR to PHX and SAN, which are also again partially 757s on the winter schedule.
I did the SFO-BOS-SFO run so that was what I was referring to. As I noted I really don't care if it is designated as a PS route as that eliminated even the minimal chance of a CPU. Instrument assisted upgrades where always tough as well.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:29 pm

Is there any difference between Premium Economy and Business/Polaris on LAX-EWR in terms of food/drinks? Looks to be the same, but I think I saw something about it is served as multiple courses in Business and a single course in Premium Economy.
How are the Premium Economy seats on those routes? Does the plane model affect this? I see a number of 757 aircraft showing up in the next few weeks for the flights I am looking at.
Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cpm013
Is there any difference between Premium Economy and Business/Polaris on LAX-EWR in terms of food/drinks? Looks to be the same, but I think I saw something about it is served as multiple courses in Business and a single course in Premium Economy.
How are the Premium Economy seats on those routes? Does the plane model affect this? I see a number of 757 aircraft showing up in the next few weeks for the flights I am looking at.
Thanks.
757-200 (752) has no premium economy seats.

On planes with premium economy seats, the food is the same.

Both J and PE seats feel tight to me, and I am by no means a big guy. I guess I am more used to be big J seats on SQ A380 or DL A350.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks.
Regarding the premium economy seats, I find them close to normal domestic first seats, Most of those flights are 2-3-2 configuration which is really nice. Footrests and larger entertainment screens too.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Regarding the premium economy seats, I find them close to normal domestic first seats, Most of those flights are 2-3-2 configuration which is really nice. Footrests and larger entertainment screens too.
PE is 2-3-2 on the 788/789/781 and 2-4-2 on the 772/773. 763 is 2-2-2 but currently not flying the LAX/SFO-EWR route.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there any difference between Premium Economy and Business/Polaris on LAX-EWR in terms of food/drinks?
The only way I would take UA meals into consideration on the premium t-cons is in making the decision to fly another airline. You can be assured that on UA the food will suck in both the J and PE cabins.

Had an excellent flight on AA this morning SFO-JFK in J. Very tasty breakfast (4 choices) + cheese plate + snack basket + warm cookie prior to landing.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:12 pm

No question AAs catering on BOS/JFK-LAX/SNA/SFO is light years ahead of United. The food quality and quantity is not in the same league. Plus you get access to the Flagship Lounge which is basically the Polaris level lounge. If you have a choice, pick AA on this route. The amenities are all better
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Every carrier is vastly better on these routes. I have flown them all (B6, AA, AS, DL), and UA is lagging way behind.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yet as a "geographic captive" (similar to but with fewer options than being a "hub captive"), I will continue to seek out United.
unitedbusiness and United747 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I don't care that much about food on these flights. All about the seat and I find UA's J seats reasonably comfortable and not negatively differentiated.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Every carrier is vastly better on these routes. I have flown them all (B6, AA, AS, DL), and UA is lagging way behind.
If you are flying a United wide body on these routes, you get 1-2-1 seating which is much better than the 2-2 you get on AA/B6 (except for the suite) and DL 757s.

If you are on a United 757, then the seat is the similar, so agreed that the other airlines would be better.

However given AS is recliner only and has no good bedding or IFE, unless you just fly for the food, I wouldn’t really include them with B6, AA, DL or UA.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
If you are flying a United wide body on these routes, you get 1-2-1 seating which is much better than the 2-2 you get on AA/B6 (except for the suite) and DL 757s.
Not really.
- AA F is 1-1.
- B6 has single thrones.
- UA 1-2-1 is only "better" if you're flying solo. As a couple, I prefer AA J.
- The AA version of the Diamond seat is much better spaced than UA's, much newer, and overall much more comfortable. As a seat, it's more comfortable IMO than either Polaris or the AA F seat (Cirrus).

AA is overall not a very good airline, but their premium t-con blows UA away in literally every respect. I will spare you the pic of the sundae I was served on Tuesday night - Haagen-Daz, hot fudge, berries, nuts, and whipped cream. The pre-flight cheeseburger at JFK FFD was pretty excellent too.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 19, 2022 at 11:42 am
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
…I will spare you the pic of the sundae I was served on Tuesday night - Haagen-Daz, hot fudge, berries, nuts, and whipped cream…..
The words are just as cruel
Phil Level and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinite1K

If you are on a United 757, then the seat is the similar, so agreed that the other airlines would be better.

However given AS is recliner only and has no good bedding or IFE, unless you just fly for the food, I wouldn’t really include them with B6, AA, DL or UA.
I fly AS because the entire soft product is better than UA. Its FAs are so much better than UA FAs. Does it look like I care about seats? I flew 22K miles on 10 domestic AS flights in a four day period, including 3 transcon flights in one day. Maybe not everyone has the same priorities...

As for lie-flat seats, give me the more intimate AA F 1-1 any day over UA's. The entire experience is better anyway.

I am more than willing to take one for the team if Kacee is not going to post a picture of the Sundae with the works on a domestic flight.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by Kacee
The only way I would take UA meals into consideration on the premium t-cons is in making the decision to fly another airline. You can be assured that on UA the food will suck in both the J and PE cabins.
... and for those reasons, I bring my own food for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.