Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 15, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Apr 30, 17, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
why only 1 double pdb buffalo trace, 1 double pre dinner, 1 single dinner, 1 single after dinner, 1 single after 2-stripe guy walks by and I ask?
Because flight attendants are responsible for making sure passengers don't get intoxicated.
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:17 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Because flight attendants are responsible for making sure passengers don't get intoxicated.
Then, what you say is "Would you like to try a single?" rather than, "We ran out of buffalo trace..."

I expect honesty, not mommy.

Anyhow, still over 60 minutes... staring at a huge bottle of water, and NO service for anyone row 5 or beyond from the FAs.

I guess we're all drunk? My handle, btw, is a bit tongue and cheek... but yes, I'm fine being cut off. But tell me so, not like "oops, catering didn't put enough poo onboard"

Edit: Does UA only pass the F/J cabin every 130 minutes? Zero stripe, 2 stripe, even Y Blue Jumpers? Going to grab video of the whole flight next time. This is lame.

Edit2: And apparently, doubles are not in UA's policy. They're not supposed to serve doubles. Cute.

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Apr 30, 17 at 11:27 pm
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyhow, still over 60 minutes... staring at a huge bottle of water, and NO service for anyone row 5 or beyond from the FAs.
Not typical for ps, but yes, bad service happens sometimes.
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:43 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Not typical for ps, but yes, bad service happens sometimes.
No, to be fair, I'm the only one awake "back" here. Rows 5 to Y are sleeping... I've dimmed my computer (of course)... just trying to understand what the norm is.

If it's meal craze for a couple hours, dump catering on dumbums in J (sorry, "F"), then.. ignore... that's fine.

I'm honestly just curious if that's the norm. This is my second p.s. flight in 40 years.. accustomed to YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR...

They've been very courteous, and well groomed and presentable...
Old May 1, 17, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm honestly just curious if that's the norm. This is my second p.s. flight in 40 years.. accustomed to YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR...
No it's not the norm. Though service has become less consistent since they ditched the dedicated ps crews.
Old May 1, 17, 7:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
If you want another drink in F, best way is to walk up to the galley and ask for one. Never had any response other than positive friendly.
Old May 2, 17, 2:48 pm

Seat Map

Apologies if this has been asked or discussed previously. I am looking at a EWR-SFO flight in July and I see a new seat map. Instead of the traditional orange flat bed seats the map now shows blue seats. I assume this is an upgraded plane to the new Polaris seats? These are flat bed still, correct?
Obviously talking about business class
Old May 2, 17, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Yes, that's the 777-300ER with the new Polaris seating. They are flat bed and offer direct aisle access.
Old May 2, 17, 2:51 pm

Thank you!
Old May 2, 17, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lpro1111 View Post
Apologies if this has been asked or discussed previously. I am looking at a EWR-SFO flight in July and I see a new seat map. Instead of the traditional orange flat bed seats the map now shows blue seats. I assume this is an upgraded plane to the new Polaris seats? These are flat bed still, correct? ....
Yes, the 777-300 with Polaris seats are shown as blue in the seatmap. And yes they are lie-flat with all seat accessible from aisle.
Old May 2, 17, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kryssa View Post
Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so
Those cookies are the best!
Old May 9, 17, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Question Question about CPU on EWR-SFO

Having not flown any transcon since the JFK flights were pulled, I am unsure which flights (if any) constitute as P.S. anymore. I am flying EWR-SFO on UA1885 and UA1076. I notice in my reservation the usual blue upgrade eligible banner doesn't pop up. But I also notice no where does it say it is a P.S. flight or was it ever advertised as such. Does this mean the flight is CPU eligible?

Also a sidenote the EWR-SFO leg on 1885 is a 777-300ER so if not CPU I do hope I could get a RPU to clear to try out Polaris. Thanks!
Old May 9, 17, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
EWR-SFO (non-stops) are P.S. flights and not eligible for CPU. You could be eligible for CPUs if it is a one-stop flight say connecting in DEN/IAD/ORD/IAH.
Old May 9, 17, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
EWR-SFO (non-stops) are P.S. flights and not eligible for CPU. You could be eligible for CPUs if it is a one-stop flight say connecting in DEN/IAD/ORD/IAH.
Okay thanks. I wasn't sure if it was every flight or just some! I'll burn one of my RPU's
Old May 9, 17, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
All EWR-SFO (and LAX) flights are P.S., and therefore, are not eligible for CPU. You need to either buy into premium cabin, or use an RPU or mileage upgrade (co-pay is not waived on this route - unless on a full-fare ticket).

Essentially, these are the same as the flights that used to go to JFK. All are 752 (either P.S. with 16C, the ones that used to typically do international 24C) or the occasional 773.

Search this Thread