Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 22, 7:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 19, 22, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
…I will spare you the pic of the sundae I was served on Tuesday night - Haagen-Daz, hot fudge, berries, nuts, and whipped cream…..
The words are just as cruel
Phil Level and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 19, 22, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
If you are flying a United wide body on these routes, you get 1-2-1 seating which is much better than the 2-2 you get on AA/B6 (except for the suite) and DL 757s.

If you are on a United 757, then the seat is the similar, so agreed that the other airlines would be better.

However given AS is recliner only and has no good bedding or IFE, unless you just fly for the food, I wouldn’t really include them with B6, AA, DL or UA.
I fly AS because the entire soft product is better than UA. Its FAs are so much better than UA FAs. Does it look like I care about seats? I flew 22K miles on 10 domestic AS flights in a four day period, including 3 transcon flights in one day. Maybe not everyone has the same priorities...

As for lie-flat seats, give me the more intimate AA F 1-1 any day over UA's. The entire experience is better anyway.

I am more than willing to take one for the team if Kacee is not going to post a picture of the Sundae with the works on a domestic flight.
Old Nov 19, 22, 1:56 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
The only way I would take UA meals into consideration on the premium t-cons is in making the decision to fly another airline. You can be assured that on UA the food will suck in both the J and PE cabins.
... and for those reasons, I bring my own food for the flight.
Old Nov 19, 22, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
As for lie-flat seats, give me the more intimate AA F 1-1 any day over UA's. The entire experience is better anyway.
I've had plenty of bad AA crews, but they do seem to put their best FAs on the premium t-cons. Just like UA used to do back when they cared.
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
I am more than willing to take one for the team if Kacee is not going to post a picture of the Sundae with the works on a domestic flight.
Okay already

Old Nov 19, 22, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've had plenty of bad AA crews, but they do seem to put their best FAs on the premium t-cons. Just like UA used to do back when they cared.
Okay already

I guess whoever designed the glorious sundaes at CO is now at AA.
SPN Lifer, EWR764 and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 19, 22, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Flew on an SFO-EWR redeye last night. I was asleep so I can't opine on the service (they didn't bother us, so that's a good sign), but I was bothered by the purser twice stating we were onboard a 777-10 (we were on a 77W). You would think people who are on airplanes for a living would have the names of the plane types correct!
Old Nov 19, 22, 7:17 pm

My upcoming LAX-EWR shows only two pre-order options; the butternut squash ravioli and Thai noodle chicken. Does this mean these will be the two choices onboard if not preselected?
Old Nov 19, 22, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn View Post
My upcoming LAX-EWR shows only two pre-order options; the butternut squash ravioli and Thai noodle chicken. Does this mean these will be the two choices onboard if not preselected?
If you're lucky. Otherwise, none if there's a "catering error".

David
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Nov 19, 22, 10:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn View Post
No, it does not. It could be entirely different, the same or additionally choices.
Old Nov 20, 22, 1:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Not really.
- AA F is 1-1.
- B6 has single thrones.
- UA 1-2-1 is only "better" if you're flying solo. As a couple, I prefer AA J.
- The AA version of the Diamond seat is much better spaced than UA's, much newer, and overall much more comfortable. As a seat, it's more comfortable IMO than either Polaris or the AA F seat (Cirrus).

AA is overall not a very good airline, but their premium t-con blows UA away in literally every respect. I will spare you the pic of the sundae I was served on Tuesday night - Haagen-Daz, hot fudge, berries, nuts, and whipped cream. The pre-flight cheeseburger at JFK FFD was pretty excellent too.
This is not to defend UA, but we need to compare apples to other apples.

1) AA has a separate F class seating with FFD, which is not comparable to UA business class. By default, it should be better. And I had a terrible experience in AA transcon F, where the purser forced me to choose between the soup or salad, left bottles of wine for self-service (which is a FAA reg violation), and when the wine ran out, she claimed that they ran out of wine. Oh, and there's no choice for dessert other than the sundae, despite of what the menu advertised. Granted, this was one data point, and I had other better experience on AA transcon F, but on FlyerTalk, one experience means that's the entire fleet.

2) B6's throne seats are 4 out of 16 in the original Mint configuration. Unless the flight is scheduled with Mint 2.0 seats, there's 3 in 4 chance you'll end up sitting next to someone else.

3) It's been debunked, by moi, that the pitch for AA J on A321 is less than UA J on 757. The difference is the fuselage width, where A321 is wider, hence it feels longer and more spacious.

But yes, AA transcon premium classes have been the amenity-rich leader during and after pandemic , with multi-course service and more choices for main course and dessert.
Old Nov 20, 22, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
It's been debunked, by moi, that the pitch for AA J on A321 is less than UA J on 757. The difference is the fuselage width, where A321 is wider, hence it feels longer and more spacious.
So what? Pitch is an irrelevant measurement in this context. The seats are angled. The wider cabin means they're able to angle more steeply and you have a longer bed. Which means the Diamond's small footwell is not an issue and you have a much more comfortable J seat on AA's 321. This is just simple geometry and beyond credible dispute.

If you gave UA those extra inches of cabin width, they'd put the seats even closer together, resulting in that same uncomfortably tight space. This is where AA get kudos for using the extra cabin width to create a more comfortable passenger experience.
SPN Lifer, econ and Repooc17 like this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:14 am

So what? Pitch is an irrelevant measurement in this context. The seats are angled. The wider cabin means they're able to angle more steeply and you have a longer bed. Which means the Diamond's small footwell is not an issue and you have a much more comfortable J seat on AA's 321. This is just simple geometry and beyond credible dispute.

If you gave UA those extra inches of cabin width, they'd put the seats even closer together, resulting in that same uncomfortably tight space. This is where AA get kudos for using the extra cabin width to create a more comfortable passenger experience.
no sane person choses between AA vs. UA on that basis rather than price, schedule, airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 22 at 9:56 pm Reason: snarky comment removed
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
no sane person choses between AA vs. UA on that basis rather than price, schedule, airport.
Depends on how tall you are.

David
artvandalay likes this.

Search this Thread