Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 15, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Feb 28, 17, 11:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with staffing levels....
I think it does. I just did an EWR->SFO flight on the 777-300ER and the service was excruciatingly slow. I don't love the over-rushed way it's usually done. But this was the other extreme: over 3 hours to get through the meal. One FA said that she was called up from the back to help.

The ice cream was (for once) perfectly soft -- though the FA seemed to think that "lots of fudge" meant a tea-spoon. But it's a fantastic day when that's my biggest complaint.
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
I think it does. I just did an EWR->SFO flight on the 777-300ER and the service was excruciatingly slow. I don't love the over-rushed way it's usually done. But this was the other extreme: over 3 hours to get through the meal. One FA said that she was called up from the back to help.

The ice cream was (for once) perfectly soft -- though the FA seemed to think that "lots of fudge" meant a tea-spoon. But it's a fantastic day when that's my biggest complaint.
Had a similar issue last summer on EWR-LAX on the 772. Took several hours to get through the meal, which is ridiculous on such a short flight.
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:36 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I also noticed the slow pace of the meal service on Monday's flight (although the meal itself was very nice, the fish is great). I think they just have too many people to serve for the # of FAs. I sat in the back C cabin, and we were among the last in the sequence, and it did feel like hours. It seemed to be 1 FA per 16 people on the right side of the 2nd C cabin. (and I really hope they weren't responsible for the front C cabin as well)
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with staffing levels and more to do with FAs unfamiliar with the 77W and/or maybe forgetting to let the ice cream warm up a bit.
I've made two 77W trips. Siting in 2L I overheard a lot of the FA's discussions in the galley. I also talked with some of the FA's about the new airframe. They are at this point long normally long haul FA's and are training on the new airframe. On my trips all the FA's were training and half of them were on their first flight on this airframe. It also doesn't help that the aisles in Business are more than a little narrow.
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
Does anyone have experiences with the special meals in biz on p.s.? Bored of the usual, and contemplating trying the Asian, Hindu (both of which might be the same I suspect), or Muslim meals for maximum potential flavour. Any ideas on what I might be in for and whether or not it's worthwhile?

thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry mods - I asked this on the special meals thread, but didn't get much of a response, so hoping for better luck here.
I upgraded one of my colleagues and ordered him the Muslim meal. Confirmed with the purser that the special meal was boarded. The meal turned out to be curried lentils with a side of lentils as appetizer. According to him, it was delicious, but a lot of lentils.

They are changing up the menu items every month, so in theory the menu items should change.
Old Mar 1, 17, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
My wife is (mostly) vegan and has called in advance and tried every vegetarian/vegan "special meal" option UA offers. She doesn't like any of them. When time permits, we buy food, either before the airport, or at the airport, and take it on the plane.
Ouch. To be fair, as much as I still get a thrill out of eating airline food, I'd be hard pressed to argue that I can't get something better to go on the ground.

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
I upgraded one of my colleagues and ordered him the Muslim meal. Confirmed with the purser that the special meal was boarded. The meal turned out to be curried lentils with a side of lentils as appetizer. According to him, it was delicious, but a lot of lentils.

They are changing up the menu items every month, so in theory the menu items should change.
Delicious is a good endorsement! Sounds like a bit of a lentil overdose, but I can handle that for one meal. Was expecting the Muslim meal to be meat-based though.
Old Apr 10, 17, 9:57 pm

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Haven't flown this transcon in a while. Can someone confirm what service is provided in J for a 10pm departure from EWR for LAX? Will they hand out a menu?
Old Apr 10, 17, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by safra1 View Post
Haven't flown this transcon in a while. Can someone confirm what service is provided in J for a 10pm departure from EWR for LAX? Will they hand out a menu?
A 10pm departure will have a hot plated snack (e.g. hamburger or calzone) served with a Godiva chocolate truffle, and then a cranberry muffin as an arrival service. There is only one choice for the snack, and I believe there is no menu.
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:03 pm

Nope, you wont get a menu, because there wont be a meal. (There isnt for transcons after 9:01 pm)

You will likely get a small hot sandwich or a cold plate with cheese and charcuterie accompanied by a a truffle.

This is done to maximize resting time on-board, which is probably for the best.

If you want a meal, try doing a SDC to a earlier flight.

Amenity kits (and premium Saks bedding) will be passed out, however.
Old Apr 17, 17, 9:48 pm

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Btw.. flew LAX to EWR last week in J and after handing out menus and serving appetizers and entrees, they informed me that catering failed to properly stock the plane with dessert and pre-arrival snack. Are they kidding?
Old Apr 18, 17, 3:48 am

Btw.. flew LAX to EWR last week in J and after handing out menus and serving appetizers and entrees, they informed me that catering failed to properly stock the plane with dessert and pre-arrival snack. Are they kidding?
I flew SFO-EWR and back in Business this weekend, and instead of the Sundae there was a cup of Hagan Daas vanilla on the way out and Mango Sorbet on the way back, both served with a cookie. The FA on the way out said it was a catering issue. The FA today said that apparently one of the Sundaes came with a piece of glass in it, not from a broken dessert cup, so they've suspended it. He didn't know what the ultimate outcome would be.
Old Apr 30, 17, 9:46 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Does p.s. SFO-EWR still serve sundaes? Just got some weird crappy cup of caramel frozen poopoo while she slowed the doubles to singles ...
Old Apr 30, 17, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
Does p.s. SFO-EWR still serve sundaes? Just got some weird crappy cup of caramel frozen poopoo while they slowed the doubles to singles ...
Ice cream has been pulled while they investigate occurrences of glass in the ice cream. There is another thread about it. Would put a link but can't find it right now.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Ice cream has been pulled while they investigate occurrences of glass in the ice cream. There is another thread about it. Would put a link but can't find it right now.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...il-we-fix.html
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:42 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Ok, I'm not chomping on glass... but why only 1 double pdb buffalo trace, 1 double pre dinner, 1 single dinner, 1 single after dinner, 1 single after 2-stripe guy walks by and I ask? I said Dewar's white as a fallback.. and they're all like.. HUH?

Anyhow, still two hours on this craptastic UA 213. p.s.... ok...

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Apr 30, 17 at 10:49 pm Reason: not comping, chomping.... spelling

Search this Thread