Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR/JFK flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 22, 7:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 16, 17, 5:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis View Post
.... When p.s was first introduced, there was only a small and noticeable Economy Plus section, ....
I think you mean to say it was 100% E+ --- no E-.

It was a bit smaller economy cabin, but still 72 seats and 40+% of the aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 17, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I think you mean to say it was 100% E+ --- no E-.

It was a bit smaller economy cabin, but still 72 seats and 40+% of the aircraft.
Yes, but the economy cabin was small enough that it almost felt kind of intimate. 40+% of the plane is a lot less than 70+% or whatever it is on those 16BF seat planes. The drawback was the seat pitch was only a tight 34" vs the 36"-37" E+ is now.
Old Feb 16, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
Yes, but the economy cabin was small enough that it almost felt kind of intimate. 40+% of the plane is a lot less than 70+% or whatever it is on those 16BF seat planes. The drawback was the seat pitch was only a tight 34" vs the 36"-37" E+ is now.
I remember when PS was first rolled out, this was a pleasant trade off for losing the 762. However, like AA's more legroom throughout coach, it didn't last. Now the service is just a CO international 757, albeit with decent grub (at least IME). PS was truly special back in the day.
Old Feb 27, 17, 7:50 pm

How's P.S. in business/first overnight? I see a lot of space on the date I need to travel, the tradeoff is - I suffer during daytime in Y and sleep at home in my own bed, or fly later in J(or C? what is it) and sleep on a plane?
Old Feb 27, 17, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
How's P.S. in business/first overnight? I see a lot of space on the date I need to travel, the tradeoff is - I suffer during daytime in Y and sleep at home in my own bed, or fly later in J(or C? what is it) and sleep on a plane?
Assuming you are looking at redeyes, so flying eastbound. I've done it in J a few times, and even so, it is miserable to get at best 4 hours of sleep. I would rather ride in Y earlier on (and the Y+ experience is pretty tolerable, IMO, as the seats haven't been slimlined yet) and sleep in my own bed. YMMV.
Old Feb 28, 17, 2:50 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Assuming you are looking at redeyes, so flying eastbound. I've done it in J a few times, and even so, it is miserable to get at best 4 hours of sleep. I would rather ride in Y earlier on (and the Y+ experience is pretty tolerable, IMO, as the seats haven't been slimlined yet) and sleep in my own bed. YMMV.
I'd second that. I'd prefer to fly economy plus for a day-time flight vs. a red-eye in J.
Old Feb 28, 17, 3:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
With lay-flat seats in J, it's tolerable with eyeshade, ear plugs, and noise cancellation headphones. However, it's a maximum of 4-5 hour nap. If you're OK with that short of sleep duration, then I say go for it.
Old Feb 28, 17, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, Hertz PC
Does anyone have experiences with the special meals in biz on p.s.? Bored of the usual, and contemplating trying the Asian, Hindu (both of which might be the same I suspect), or Muslim meals for maximum potential flavour. Any ideas on what I might be in for and whether or not it's worthwhile?

thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry mods - I asked this on the special meals thread, but didn't get much of a response, so hoping for better luck here.
Old Feb 28, 17, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not quite sure where to post this, but I noticed that in a couple of markets (SFO/WAS notably I've seen so far), United dumped a bunch of fares ending in -KN. They are First fares which do not block p.s. flights or other flatbeds, and generally allow for booking codes Z/D/C at a fraction of the nonstop price.

Don't have too much time to look into this right now, but someone else might want to sleuth around. This allows things like SFO-EWR-DCA in D for $851 ow ai (QAA4DFKN SFO to DCA). I'm very, very unclear if it was on purpose.
Old Feb 28, 17, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I'm very, very unclear if it was on purpose.
Unlikely. Book while you can.
Old Feb 28, 17, 6:14 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
Does anyone have experiences with the special meals in biz on p.s.? Bored of the usual, and contemplating trying the Asian, Hindu (both of which might be the same I suspect), or Muslim meals for maximum potential flavour. Any ideas on what I might be in for and whether or not it's worthwhile?

thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry mods - I asked this on the special meals thread, but didn't get much of a response, so hoping for better luck here.
My wife is (mostly) vegan and has called in advance and tried every vegetarian/vegan "special meal" option UA offers. She doesn't like any of them. When time permits, we buy food, either before the airport, or at the airport, and take it on the plane.
Old Feb 28, 17, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
My wife is (mostly) vegan and has called in advance and tried every vegetarian/vegan "special meal" option UA offers. She doesn't like any of them. When time permits, we buy food, either before the airport, or at the airport, and take it on the plane.
Sadly, your post made recall the "Bad is Bad" lyrics from Huey Lewis and the News:
Across the street, a neon sign
All you can eat for a dollar ninety nine
Aww, that old stew is the baddest in the land
But one dollar's worth was all that I could stand

But sometimes, sometimes bad is bad
Cool is a rule, but, sometimes, bad is bad
David
Old Feb 28, 17, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
L O N G Duration of Meal Service

Haven't been on PS in a few years. Just a few days ago, flew EWR to SFO in J, and the ice cream sundae was served as we were flying over western Iowa. I think it was 2 hours 45 minutes after take off by the time the meal service was completely done (and there wasn't turbulence that delayed service, in fact the seat belt sign was off at 23,000 feet).

Now - this was on the fantastic new 777-300 with the new Polaris seats, which had everyone captivated. I'm sure the crew was getting used to the galleys. All of us onboard were enthralled with the aircraft, by the way.

What I'm wondering is about the number of FAs staffing these flights. Are they crewed at FAA minimums? To make the service work, I really think there should be additional FAs above this. I believe this was the case a long time ago (like early 2000s) and the service was a lot quicker back then!

JK-SFO
Old Feb 28, 17, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I don't think this has anything to do with staffing levels and more to do with FAs unfamiliar with the 77W and/or maybe forgetting to let the ice cream warm up a bit.

Originally Posted by JK-SFO View Post
Haven't been on PS in a few years. Just a few days ago, flew EWR to SFO in J, and the ice cream sundae was served as we were flying over western Iowa. I think it was 2 hours 45 minutes after take off by the time the meal service was completely done (and there wasn't turbulence that delayed service, in fact the seat belt sign was off at 23,000 feet).

Now - this was on the fantastic new 777-300 with the new Polaris seats, which had everyone captivated. I'm sure the crew was getting used to the galleys. All of us onboard were enthralled with the aircraft, by the way.

What I'm wondering is about the number of FAs staffing these flights. Are they crewed at FAA minimums? To make the service work, I really think there should be additional FAs above this. I believe this was the case a long time ago (like early 2000s) and the service was a lot quicker back then!

JK-SFO
Old Feb 28, 17, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I'd second that. I'd prefer to fly economy plus for a day-time flight vs. a red-eye in J.
I third that!!

Search this Thread