Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wpcoe
The old PS 757s were J and Y+ only, weren't they (i.e. no regular Economy)? If so, that would be a nice configuration to offer again.
28J, 42E+, 72Y, but it was a premium-heavy configuration. (At least, I'm talking about the version with 28J lie-flat, not the older ones.)
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wpcoe
The old PS 757s were J and Y+ only, weren't they (i.e. no regular Economy)? If so, that would be a nice configuration to offer again.
F, J, and E+.

And then there was the all J SQ 340.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
28J, 42E+, 72Y, but it was a premium-heavy configuration. (At least, I'm talking about the version with 28J lie-flat, not the older ones.)
3-class 757 Transcon Flights Take off Oct 18 (2004)
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:42 pm

Why is there only one Dreamliner 787-10 flight daily between EWR-SFO and is that likely to change in the next 10 months? I do understand that an equipment swap and downgrade from PP to economy is very likely.
gelmore95030 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Forget if I missed the speculation, but if there is a dedicated narrowbody fleet for this mission, are we expecting J/Y ratios more like the old p.s. 752 subfleet? I really miss those birds..
Row 9 in business was dreamy…
wxguy and RJNYC like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:14 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
If I am flying SFO-EWR in J and then connecting to another domestic flight, but the connection is in Y, will I receive UC access in EWR?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
If I am flying SFO-EWR in J and then connecting to another domestic flight, but the connection is in Y, will I receive UC access in EWR?
Yes, flying business gets you access on origin and destination points of the flight. I forget whether it applies to other airports on the same itinerary, although I'm sure someone here can chime in on that
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Yes, flying business gets you access on origin and destination points of the flight. I forget whether it applies to other airports on the same itinerary, although I'm sure someone here can chime in on that
Just looking for it at EWR on a relatively long layover - great news, thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
United does not allow you access to UC other than SFO/LAX and EWR.

American however will allow you access to Admirals Club for connections beyond JFK and LAX-SFO.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Weren't there supposed to be catering improvements on the premium transcontinental flights by now?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The last I read from a remotely trustworthy source was MatthewLAX's blog in January. It did not mention any timeline.

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...ning-upgrades/
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by rch4u
Weren't there supposed to be catering improvements on the premium transcontinental flights by now?
Originally Posted by dkc192
The last I read from a remotely trustworthy source was MatthewLAX's blog in January. It did not mention any timeline.

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...ning-upgrades/
Menus on Premium Transcon have been dramatically updated (at least for lunch/dinner) with more and better main course options. Also, now there is ice cream cart.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Do the transcon flights offer slippers in J?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Do the transcon flights offer slippers in J?
No they do not
SPN Lifer and unitedwildcat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.