Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nnn
We went EWR-SFO on a 777 a week or so ago, split across Business and PP. (Also took the $350 upsell.) The food was the same in J & PP. Service was equally terrible in both cabins. FAs hardly to be seen outside of scheduled services. We were all dying of thirst at the end of the flight.

Not sure if this is normal or just a bad flight.
A normal bad flight.

David
nlf and nexus7556 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nnn
FAs hardly to be seen outside of scheduled services. We were all dying of thirst at the end of the flight.
If I'm thirsty, I'll ring the call button or (more likely) just go to the galley and ask for a drink. Is it bad service? Yep. Am I going to just sit there and not do anything about it? Nope.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, m.y and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by char777

Food is still the same – thai chicken or butternut squash pasta eastbound, chicken with broccoli and polenta or pasta westbound. There was supposed to be a menu refresh starting in April, though I don't know if that included p.s. routes.
I thought the menu refresh was supposed to be March 1. There was definitely new options on pre-order reported on that thread early in March.

that said, flew premium transcontinental in PP eastbound in mid-Feb and westbound in mid-March. Both times, got ‘chicken or pasta’, and as a vegetarian, selected the pasta, which was the butternut squash both directions. Is it supposed to be different east vs. west (I realize yes, it should, but whether it typically is).

was disappointed no new options were offered in the March flight.

Wife (and kids, on one of them) had special ordered Asian veg and what rediculousness - I don’t need to repeat here - search upthread and you can read about it.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Flew EWR-LAX yesterday, and while the Thai chicken noodles have been on the menu a while, frankly I like it (better than the omnipresent braised short rib that was on the menu and was like playing Russian roulette when it came to how it turned out, IMO). Sundae was solid, although no strawberries and for some reason, the ice cream was quite soft / had already melted a bit. Usually I have had the opposite issue with UA (the ice cream can be like a brick), but I don't love it when it's already half-melted either.

Nothing super-special but overall found the meal to be fine.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:16 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Kacee
If I'm thirsty, I'll ring the call button or (more likely) just go to the galley and ask for a drink. Is it bad service? Yep. Am I going to just sit there and not do anything about it? Nope.
Same here, usually. I can't speak for others in my family, but in my case it was just a mild annoyance as I was focused on work, and by the time I realized, darn, I could really use some water, the FAs were busy buttoning up the plane for descent, so I just waited it out at that point.

Still, didn't mean to make the point as an FT rant -- more just providing info to others about the service in the spirit of the thread. Worst I've experienced in several flights in p.s. J and post-p.s. J over many years, but was my first time in at least a year being in that flight.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Advice

Im flying from LAX to EWR on 23 May
The aircraft was changed from a 787 to an old 2-4-2 (in "First") 777-200
1. Any advice on the best seat (I'm in 1L)
2. Does the service include Saks bedding amenity kit and the same premium transcend meal as Polaris on the 787?
Thanks
Ian
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ianassum
1. Any advice on the best seat (I'm in 1L) ....
see Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-) - FlyerTalk Forums
1L is a good seat, rear facing. Many consider this a roomy, comfortable seat. Negatives -- not direct aisle accessible, less personal storage
2. Does the service include Saks bedding amenity kit and the same premium transcend meal as Polaris on the 787?
The soft product is route specific, not aircraft specific

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2023 at 4:33 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:55 am

Thank you - much appreciated
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does the service include Saks bedding amenity kit and the same premium transcend meal as Polaris on the 787?
I'm afraid there's nothing at all transcendent about UA meals

Note that business class on the premium t-cons is not "Polaris" branded (though many of the aircraft operating on the route have the Polaris seat); rather front cabin is simply called "United Business."
Phil Level likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1. Any advice on the best seat (I'm in 1L)
Thanks
Ian
Some a/c on the route have Polaris seats, but none offer Polaris service (meals, Polaris amenity kit, Polaris Lounge access). You might get a slightly “better” meal than domestic F, a minimal amenity kit, pillow, duvet, and United Club access. There’s not much difference in seat selection. The row 4 seats are considered a bit more private because there’s no seats facing that way across the aisle. If you don’t have GS or 1K status, the drawback to row 4 is often meal choice runs out and you’re left with whatever’s left. Row one is more likely to get meal choice, but less “private”.

Although there’s been hints of a quality uptick in some of UA’s meals, don’t expect anything good and you won’t be disappointed.

If you’re flexible, UA often will let a passenger switch to a flight with real Polaris seats after a swap like you’ve encountered. Tell them you don’t like the new a/c and want to be on flight so-and-so.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 16, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Any tips for first time up-front travelers?

Family will be traveling EWR-SFO in July and upgraded to Business (Booked 40k PP awards since it was 32k for Y awards, and got upgrade offer for $500, which seemed like a good deal to splurge and fly up-front for our first time).
Super excited but looking for any tips to make the most of this experience.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfoden_UA_stucky
Family will be traveling EWR-SFO in July and upgraded to Business (Booked 40k PP awards since it was 32k for Y awards, and got upgrade offer for $500, which seemed like a good deal to splurge and fly up-front for our first time).
Super excited but looking for any tips to make the most of this experience.
You get United Club access at both ends. The new Club near EWR gate C123 is worth a visit. Food there might turn out to be better than what’s on plane.
sfoden_UA_stucky likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 17, 2023 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:13 am

Transcend

Autocorrect😂😩 that should have read transcon
Transcendant would have been two serves of three types of caviar on SWISS for dinner and breakfast as part of their "monthly special" menu from ZRH to SIN
Consistent customer focused care will never be the terrain of UA and AA
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:17 pm

I am a newly frequent traveler on the SFO/EWR route. Noticed that from June onward they've swapped UA 2059 to the old 772 (2-4-2 config). Other flights seem to be using the polaris craft.

For those with experience, is it likely this is a system issue that will get resolved shortly? Or should I swap flights to a different time to ensure I'm not stuck on that disastrous layout.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by a.tall.guy
I am a newly frequent traveler on the SFO/EWR route. Noticed that from June onward they've swapped UA 2059 to the old 772 (2-4-2 config). Other flights seem to be using the polaris craft.

For those with experience, is it likely this is a system issue that will get resolved shortly? Or should I swap flights to a different time to ensure I'm not stuck on that disastrous layout.
The 2-4-2 seats are not bad. They are actually very comfortable to sleep in. No tight footwells for example, unlike Polaris

For sleeping, I'd rather have these than Polaris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.