FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

WineCountryUA Oct 23, 15 6:14 pm

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences
 
An era will/has ended on 25 Oct 2015 when p.s. Premium Service to SFO/LAX moves from JFK to EWR. So it is time to open a new thread on questions, experiences of EWR PS flights including the announced catering changes and the use of two PS aircraft configurations.

A couple of ground rules
- The existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-2015-a.html which covered the JFK flights will eventually be closed, once those flying the few remaining flights have had their chance to post. But for now JFK related flights should continue to be posted in the older thread.
- The always lively http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html will remain open for continued debates on why this change and whether it is a good idea. (Note this is another way of saying this topic area will be OT for this new thread -- let's keep the experiences and questions thread separate from the opinion/discussion thread on the change.)

Thanks
UA Moderation Team

WineCountryUA Oct 24, 15 7:38 pm

Pre-2017 posts have been archived in
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-archive.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

PsiFighter37 Jan 13, 17 5:17 pm

First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?

rch4u Jan 13, 17 7:39 pm

The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?

764toHI Jan 14, 17 7:37 am

This - I received a hot chicken sandwich on my last PDX-EWR redeye


Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 27677687)
Not true. Full transcon redeyes get the warm snack as well.


nycflyer222 Jan 14, 17 9:06 am


Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 27758209)
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?

Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them. :)

JVPhoto Jan 14, 17 1:52 pm


Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27760186)
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them. :)

My 2.25 yr old nephew on his first flights this week. Excited at: Taking off? No. Landing? No. Big chocolate chip cookie? YES.

I didn't notice but I never thought that they were baked from 100% raw dough on board, I always figured it was some half-baked thing to get them soft/warm and to waft the smell through the cabin.

findark Jan 14, 17 3:43 pm


Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 27757751)
First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?

Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline has been serving all last year.

PsiFighter37 Jan 14, 17 4:35 pm


Originally Posted by findark (Post 27761657)
Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline as been serving all last year.

I slept through it so don't know. Will try to stay awake for the return on Monday :)

Kryssa Jan 15, 17 10:57 pm

Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so :)

monczao Jan 25, 17 7:35 am

United ps SFO-EWR questions from newbie
 
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them! :)

Have a great day!

PTahCha Jan 25, 17 7:58 am

Choose the plane, not the time. The ones with 28 or greater business class seats offer a greater chance to get upgraded than 16.

If you have RPU's, unless you have other reasons to use it, go ahead and apply it. Cash upgrade is offered via online check-in.

EWR764 Jan 25, 17 8:04 am


Originally Posted by monczao (Post 27815158)
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them! :)

Have a great day!

1) Sunday redeyes are tough, IMO, as there are a lot of commuters headed to the East Coast to start the business week Monday AM, and the obvious preference is for a flat bed. Anecdotally, Mondays are better, and instead of particular departure times, I usually look to flights operated by 28J 75K ships if I'm trying for an RPU (777s too, but they rarely make it to redeyes unless an equipment sub).

2) Cash buy-ups vary in price. If I'm paying out of my own pocket, I don't think it's worth more than the advance purchase one way P fares, which are in the ~$650 range these days. If fare paid + buy-up offer brings me into that ballpark, I'll at least consider it, if I don't buy it outright in the first place. Keep in mind that buy-up offers immediately after purchase and at check-in often won't result in a reissue, so your PQD may not reflect how much you actually paid, and offers at check-in sometimes will not earn 2x PQM (book into ZN crediting at underlying fare basis for PQM). So, caveat emptor.

Hergertarian Jan 27, 17 11:43 pm


Originally Posted by monczao (Post 27815158)
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them! :)

Have a great day!

ps flights aren't CPU eligible, and are the biz seats on red eyes I've been on are usually sold out a week or so in advance :/
I would try to buy up in advance. I usually check out the upgrade list (for folks using instruments), and they rarely clear.

jr0ck Jan 28, 17 2:05 am

The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?

Kacee Jan 28, 17 9:38 am


Originally Posted by monczao (Post 27815158)
2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

I've concluded it's best just to purchase the advance P fare at $649 each way. There is an advance purchase requirement, which varies.

findark Jan 28, 17 7:43 pm


Originally Posted by jr0ck (Post 27828901)
The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?

Advertised as Otis Spunkmeyer although website is always a dubious source. They're decent although I prefer the Christie Cookie Co. ones that are served on Express flights :o


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27829984)
I've concluded it's best just to purchase the advance P fare at $649 each way. There is an advance purchase requirement, which varies.

Up to $664 at a 30-day AP now. They bumped it $10 and then $5 a week later this quarter... it's like they hope we don't notice.

Kacee Jan 28, 17 8:53 pm


Originally Posted by findark (Post 27832400)
Up to $664 at a 30-day AP now. They bumped it $10 and then $5 a week later this quarter... it's like they hope we don't notice.

I find the lack of R availability much more upsetting . . . .

findark Jan 28, 17 10:01 pm


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27832583)
I find the lack of R availability much more upsetting . . . .

Yes, although I also never fail to be astounded how many over-$1k fares they sell. My backup is always something like SFO-IAH-LGA where I can fly the 789 for half of it, get notably more PQM, and it's still less than $650 all the way up to T-7.

PsiFighter37 Feb 7, 17 11:16 am

Delta is now serving free meals I need Y on JFK-SFO/LAX...wonder if UA will follow or not...

FTLexMUC Feb 7, 17 11:26 am

How to get on UG waitlist within 24h?
 
What is the right way to apply a GPU/RPU to get added to UG standby list within 24h of departure?

when doing SDC waitlist often does not carry over

i guess this is a general GPU question but also relevant for PS flights.

Kacee Feb 7, 17 11:33 am


Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 27877537)
What is the right way to apply a GPU/RPU to get added to UG standby list within 24h of departure?

Not allowed under the rules. New waitlist requests may only be made outside of T-24. A very helpful agent might violate the rules and do it for you.


Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 27877537)
when doing SDC waitlist often does not carry over

It's not supposed to. Instrument needs to be redeposited and reapplied.

FTLexMUC Feb 7, 17 4:15 pm


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27877570)
Not allowed under the rules. New waitlist requests may only be made outside of T-24. A very helpful agent might violate the rules and do it for you.



It's not supposed to. Instrument needs to be redeposited and reapplied.

can I do it at the gate then? Why don't they allow certificates within 24h?
sdc be default is within 24h so I cannot reapply per your first statement, correct?

Kacee Feb 7, 17 4:16 pm


Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 27878943)
can I do it at the gate then? Why don't they allow certificates within 24h?
sdc be default is within 24h so I cannot reapply per your first statement, correct?

Per the rules, you can't waitlist within T-24. You can clear into open R.

Again, a helpful agent may waive the restriction.

mahasamatman Feb 8, 17 10:26 pm

Polaris vs p.s.
 
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

nycflyer222 Feb 8, 17 10:37 pm


Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27884825)
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

What is a "Polaris-configured 752" exactly? If you mean 16J v 28J seats, it's exactly the same!

avi8tir Feb 9, 17 3:06 am

same same but different. but still same.

JVPhoto Feb 9, 17 4:15 am

Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.

goodeats21 Feb 9, 17 4:52 am


Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27884825)
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

Very little difference. Bulkhead seat availability would be my criteria.

mahasamatman Feb 9, 17 9:43 am


Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 27885648)
Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.

Thanks. That sounds like good advice.

WineCountryUA Feb 9, 17 9:48 am

Seat discussion for each of the two 752 PS variations
28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E- config
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E- config
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pmua-pmco.html

However, other lie-flat aircraft are used on the PS routes, presently include the one 77W with true Polaris seats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html

mahasamatman Feb 9, 17 10:03 am

If the 16J is just the old CO plane, then what confused me was Seatguru calling them Polaris.

Kacee Feb 9, 17 10:06 am

The 16J cabins are much older and really getting tired. The AVOD is prior generation and the cabins are physically beat-up. They needed a refresh about two years ago and are now at the point that I avoid them. IMO you're also more likely to get a good crew on the 28J, but that's probably an overgeneralization.

WineCountryUA Feb 9, 17 10:15 am


Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27886869)
If the 16J is just the old CO plane, then what confused me was Seatguru calling them Polaris.

First, always be careful of Seatguru

Second, all international lie flat bussiness service of UA has been re-labeled as Polaris Class (w/ or w/o the Polaris seat) in the sense of Connoisseur of years past or BusinessFirst more recently. The same term also being used about the new seat.

In Seatguru's defense, the 16 seat config is used both domestically and internationally, so it is Polaris Class when on a TATL flight.

PTahCha Feb 9, 17 12:16 pm


Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27760186)
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them. :)


Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 27758209)
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?


Originally Posted by Kryssa (Post 27767734)
Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so :)

Cookies are no longer baked on board - they are just reheated and warmed up. At one point, they were baking them fresh from cookie dough. However, the results were inconsistent based on the FA working in the galley, so they stopped doing that.


Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27884825)
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

The entertainment system is different, if that makes a difference. The 16J is the old sCO system with less number of movies and TV shows, and no Channel 9.


Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 27885648)
Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.

Unlikely, for exactly that reason.

smxflyer Feb 10, 17 5:35 pm

Looks like SFO-EWR (233) and EWR-SFO (418) are on Hawaii config 777. Imagine there are a few unhappy campers up front who were expecting lie flat seats...

Kacee Feb 10, 17 5:48 pm


Originally Posted by smxflyer (Post 27893335)
Looks like SFO-EWR (233) and EWR-SFO (418) are on Hawaii config 777. Imagine there are a few unhappy campers up front who were expecting lie flat seats...

Ouch. And 418 is already showing departure delayed 2:38.

blueman2 Feb 10, 17 5:56 pm

So, is there compensation due when a non-ps aircraft is used??? (for Business Class customers, I mean)

nycflyer222 Feb 10, 17 6:03 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27886804)
Seat discussion for each of the two 752 PS variations
28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E- config
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E- config
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pmua-pmco.html

However, other lie-flat aircraft are used on the PS routes, presently include the one 77W with true Polaris seats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html

Is there any word on what will happen to J class seats once the current p.s. fleet retires? It probably wouldn't be possible to put in the new Polaris seats into narrowbodies, but curious if UA plans to update at all. Those pmUA planes are looking pretty old (overheads baggage, air vents, etc...)

rittenhousesq Feb 10, 17 6:11 pm


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27893370)
Ouch. And 418 is already showing departure delayed 2:38.

My S.O. is on this flight. He kissed goodbye any chances of his upgrade clearing when there was an aircraft switch. almost 3 hour delay now, plus a lousy airplane!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:03 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.