FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

WineCountryUA Oct 23, 15 6:14 pm

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

An era will/has ended on 25 Oct 2015 when p.s. Premium Service to SFO/LAX moves from JFK to EWR. So it is time to open a new thread on questions, experiences of EWR PS flights including the announced catering changes and the use of two PS aircraft configurations.

A couple of ground rules
- The existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-2015-a.html which covered the JFK flights will eventually be closed, once those flying the few remaining flights have had their chance to post. But for now JFK related flights should continue to be posted in the older thread.
- The always lively http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html will remain open for continued debates on why this change and whether it is a good idea. (Note this is another way of saying this topic area will be OT for this new thread -- let's keep the experiences and questions thread separate from the opinion/discussion thread on the change.)

Thanks
UA Moderation Team

WineCountryUA Oct 24, 15 7:38 pm

Pre-2017 posts have been archived in
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-archive.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

PsiFighter37 Jan 13, 17 5:17 pm

First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?

rch4u Jan 13, 17 7:39 pm

The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?

764toHI Jan 14, 17 7:37 am

This - I received a hot chicken sandwich on my last PDX-EWR redeye

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 27677687)
Not true. Full transcon redeyes get the warm snack as well.

nycflyer222 Jan 14, 17 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 27758209)
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?

Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them. :)

JVPhoto Jan 14, 17 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27760186)
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them. :)

My 2.25 yr old nephew on his first flights this week. Excited at: Taking off? No. Landing? No. Big chocolate chip cookie? YES.

I didn't notice but I never thought that they were baked from 100% raw dough on board, I always figured it was some half-baked thing to get them soft/warm and to waft the smell through the cabin.

findark Jan 14, 17 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 27757751)
First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?

Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline has been serving all last year.

PsiFighter37 Jan 14, 17 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 27761657)
Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline as been serving all last year.

I slept through it so don't know. Will try to stay awake for the return on Monday :)

Kryssa Jan 15, 17 10:57 pm

Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so :)

monczao Jan 25, 17 7:35 am

United ps SFO-EWR questions from newbie

Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them! :)

Have a great day!

PTahCha Jan 25, 17 7:58 am

Choose the plane, not the time. The ones with 28 or greater business class seats offer a greater chance to get upgraded than 16.

If you have RPU's, unless you have other reasons to use it, go ahead and apply it. Cash upgrade is offered via online check-in.

EWR764 Jan 25, 17 8:04 am

Originally Posted by monczao (Post 27815158)
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them! :)

Have a great day!

1) Sunday redeyes are tough, IMO, as there are a lot of commuters headed to the East Coast to start the business week Monday AM, and the obvious preference is for a flat bed. Anecdotally, Mondays are better, and instead of particular departure times, I usually look to flights operated by 28J 75K ships if I'm trying for an RPU (777s too, but they rarely make it to redeyes unless an equipment sub).

2) Cash buy-ups vary in price. If I'm paying out of my own pocket, I don't think it's worth more than the advance purchase one way P fares, which are in the ~$650 range these days. If fare paid + buy-up offer brings me into that ballpark, I'll at least consider it, if I don't buy it outright in the first place. Keep in mind that buy-up offers immediately after purchase and at check-in often won't result in a reissue, so your PQD may not reflect how much you actually paid, and offers at check-in sometimes will not earn 2x PQM (book into ZN crediting at underlying fare basis for PQM). So, caveat emptor.

Hergertarian Jan 27, 17 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by monczao (Post 27815158)
Hello all,

Have a great day!

ps flights aren't CPU eligible, and are the biz seats on red eyes I've been on are usually sold out a week or so in advance :/
I would try to buy up in advance. I usually check out the upgrade list (for folks using instruments), and they rarely clear.

jr0ck Jan 28, 17 2:05 am

The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?