Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kale73
How likely is it that the MUA will clear on a Tuesday mid-morning p.s. departure ex-SFO for a Gold? (Current seat map shows J cabin about half full.)
Right around zero.
Originally Posted by kale73
If it does clear, can/will UA demand a co-pay at that time?
Probably not.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
...Just ask'n why would they look for volunteers to change flights for a under booked or standard booked flight?
I don't know why UA does it, but they do it. Seen it multiple times out of OGG and HNL. Asked at kiosk if I want to volunteer and planes go out underfilled.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't know why UA does it, but they do it. Seen it multiple times out of OGG and HNL. Asked at kiosk if I want to volunteer and planes go out underfilled.
I think it's some data gathering thing, to see how much people will offer on average, and then run it through algorithms on how many seats to oversell and what net cost will be, etc. I was asked on EWR-LAX to volunteer, despite the flight having at least Z4 at check-in. In the end, they ended up upgrading 7 people, including 3 non-revs (maybe deadhead, but they were in FA uniforms).
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I think it's some data gathering thing, to see how much people will offer on average, and then run it through algorithms on how many seats to oversell and what net cost will be, etc. I was asked on EWR-LAX to volunteer, despite the flight having at least Z4 at check-in. In the end, they ended up upgrading 7 people, including 3 non-revs (maybe deadhead, but they were in FA uniforms).
That's my interpretation too, after I received it on something like eight flights in a row and none wound up over. I started entering $2k every time now.

edit: on further reflection maybe $2k is a bad strategy. I think I should start entering $1.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flew EWR-LAX on the 787-10 in paid J last week and had a really bad experience.

- The flight crew were understaffed and overwhelmed. When I went to the bathroom one mentioned to another "this is a domestic flight but we have to work it like an international flight". This meant things like the right aisle getting just water for a PDB and the left aisle getting nothing. It also meant that the meal service took over three hours to complete
- Food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31357023-post435.html) ranged from mediocre to bad. Half full cup of nuts with drinks. Two tiny slices of tasetless chicken for an appeitzer. My main (turbot) was actually really good but my travel companion's (short rib) was overcooked and tasteless. No drink refills naturally and I had to flag down a flight attendant to get a glass of wine. The menu doesn't list wines and she didn't know what the yhad
- The seat and IFE are both quite good and I was comfortable but this was one of the worst premium flights I've been on in years.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
The seat and IFE are both quite good and I was comfortable but this was one of the worst premium flights I've been on in years.
Combination of understaffing and loss of the dedicated pmUA ps crews, who were among the very best FAs in the entire system.

The food of course is awful 75% of the time now, but DL is no better.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
A bit OT but how is it that they ask for volunteers when a flight is not overbooked or at least fully booked. Yes I have been asked to move to another flight at or just prior to checking in but usually I have found those flight to be full or indeed overbooked. I don't think I have ever VDB'ed and been offered a TCV on a flight that wasn't over booked. Just ask'n why would they look for volunteers to change flights for a under booked or standard booked flight?
I have found they often ask for volunteers for an overbooked flight at the same time they are willing to sell more seats. Let’s say there are 200 seats and they are willing to overbook by 10. At 205 seats sold they will ask for volunteers and sell 5 more seats at the same time. Asking for volunteers just helps them collect data and of the last 10 times I’ve gotten the volunteer message in the app they have never actually ended up oversold.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
edit: on further reflection maybe $2k is a bad strategy. I think I should start entering $1.
The two times I have seen actual overbooked flights with the check-in volunteer request, the gate agents didn’t seem to use the information at all (either to identify VDB passengers or to set the compensation amount). The second time, out of Newark, the gate agent noted I was also on the check-in volunteer list while processing a voucher for double what I had said I would accept at check-in.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris

The two times I have seen actual overbooked flights with the check-in volunteer request, the gate agents didn’t seem to use the information at all (either to identify VDB passengers or to set the compensation amount). The second time, out of Newark, the gate agent noted I was also on the check-in volunteer list while processing a voucher for double what I had said I would accept at check-in.
Yes, the amount you enter doesn't have to be your final offer. In fact everyone VDB'd from a flight is supposed to get the same.

But I figure that if they are doing data collection, and if I am happy to have more VDB opportunities, I should be telling them that I will VDB for a little as possible. Of course when the pen meets paper, I will certainly go as high as the GA will.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, the amount you enter doesn't have to be your final offer. In fact everyone VDB'd from a flight is supposed to get the same.

But I figure that if they are doing data collection, and if I am happy to have more VDB opportunities, I should be telling them that I will VDB for a little as possible. Of course when the pen meets paper, I will certainly go as high as the GA will.
That is a reasonable strategy - and while the check-in offer presumably feeds into revenue management algos, I don't think the gate agents use them in any way. In my example, I was the only bump, so it's not like they raised the compensation to match another passenger.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Booked SFO-BOS-SFO today and was able to burn a GPU at booking.

UA 2396
SFO-BOS
8/12/19 6:05 AM Departure
Booked a V fare with PZ1, and used a GPU once confirmed.

Currently waitlisted for UA1730, BOS-SFO, at 5:10 PM on Thursday, 8/15. United is offering a confirmed cash upgrade for $398...which is tempting.

Last edited by SFOrunner; Aug 6, 2019 at 10:29 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Booked SFO-BOS-SFO today and was able to burn a GPU at booking.

UA 2396
SFO-BOS
8/12/19 6:05 AM Departure
Booked a V fare with PZ1, and used a GPU once confirmed.

Currently waitlisted for UA1730, BOS-SFO, at 5:10 PM on Thursday, 8/15. United is offering a confirmed cash upgrade for $398...which is tempting.
Take the cash upgrade!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Take the cash upgrade!
Done. Called the 1K desk and the agent told me that I was currently number seven on the list, with J5. I'll thank myself once I land back at SFO.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Done. Called the 1K desk and the agent told me that I was currently number seven on the list, with J5. I'll thank myself once I land back at SFO.
Please report back, but I bet no one gets upgraded on that flight.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Please report back, but I bet no one gets upgraded on that flight.
Cannot confirm whether or not anyone was upgraded prior to T-24, but at departure no one was cleared. There were 15 names on the upgrade list. It appeared as if there were 6-8 GS PAX, followed by another 10-12 1K's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.