Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
looks like LAX-BOS will only be 2x daily this summer, down from 3x last year.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The OP had proposed opening up PL access to red-eye flights only. Is AA doing that? No. The slope I had referred to: assigning access only to certain flights on a particular route.
yes, of course. my mistake.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Big part of the decision is probably the sheer volume of people that would be entitled to use lounge at both ends SFO/LAX/EWR if Tramscon let in. LAX Polaris lounge definitely not designed for it and would be miserably crowded all the time. Add SFO and LAX-bound passengers toe EWR Polaris lounge and it would be chaos.
​​​​​​
The OP had proposed opening up PL access to red-eye flights only. Is AA doing that? No. The slope I had referred to: assigning access only to certain flights on a particular route.
AA F and J pax on transcon JFK-LAX/SFO can use AA flagship lounge at JFK and LAX, and F pax can use flagship first dining at JFK and LAX as well.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Apr 23, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

AA F and J pax on transcon JFK-LAX/SFO can use AA flagship lounge at JFK and LAX, and F pax can use flagship first dining at JFK and LAX as well.
​​​​​​​Well aware the access policy for AA. This is different. The other poster had proposed opening up PL access for red-eye flights only. If that had been the case, how would eligible pax on the same route traveling during the day feel?

​​​
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:59 am

2418 today switched from 781 to 772

Status: Your flight (UA 2418) on Jun. 4 has been delayed because of a plane change caused by schedule disruptions in Los Angeles. Your new plane is expected to arrive from Houston at 08:21 AM. We're sorry for this inconvenience. Your estimated departure time is 09:25 AM, arriving in Newark at 05:38 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold
Does Economy Plus still get a meal on the PS / Cross Country Comfort routes? I'm flying EWR - LAX tomorrow, departing EWR at 11am. Wondering if I should expect to be served lunch, or should plan accordingly.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Continental
Yes. Pasta or chicken

Yes, pasta or chicken
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Well aware the access policy for AA. This is different. The other poster had proposed opening up PL access for red-eye flights only. If that had been the case, how would eligible pax on the same route traveling during the day feel?

​​​
Well you don’t get a full meal on red eyes unlike the other flights on the route, despite being the same product and often same fares. So including a pass for polaris lounge or food at airport seems fair to offset..

Plus they did the “surprise and delight” invitations to Polaris Lounge for a while (or maybe even now) for selected folks on premium routes..
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Plus they did the “surprise and delight” invitations to Polaris Lounge for a while (or maybe even now) for selected folks on premium routes..
That was for GF lounge, not Polaris.

I was in the Flagship Lounge LAX a couple weeks ago and it was super crowded. Based on that experience, I find UA's decision not to allow domestic pax into Polaris to be fully justified. It's a different (and much more pleasant) experience from what it would be if you tripled the crowds.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I find UA's decision not to allow domestic pax into Polaris to be fully justified. It's a different (and much more pleasant) experience from what it would be if you tripled the crowds.
+1
As much as I like the PLs it is never going to happen. And to your point it would only degrade the PLs with at least "triple the crowds". My last trip in the SFO PL I think there were less than 10 people in the lounge. I guess some could then argue it is underutilized but I am sure it does occasionally get busy.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
My last trip in the SFO PL I think there were less than 10 people in the lounge. I guess some could then argue it is underutilized but I am sure it does occasionally get busy.
I don't think I've ever seen the SFO polaris lounge with fewer than 50 (midday with all the departures between noon and 2pm). To be sure, not overcrowded, but far from empty.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
I don't think I've ever seen the SFO polaris lounge with fewer than 50 (midday with all the departures between noon and 2pm). To be sure, not overcrowded, but far from empty.
Not really surprised. I have been there now 3 times and the first time was literally the second day it was open so it was very empty, I don't think some pax even realized it was avaiable. The next couple of times were all prior to the after flight to FRA/CDG. I was actually surprised myself it was so dead prior very popular flights. But YMMV
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
On a Sunday around 4pm the SFO PL was more or less deserted, but that's not particularly surprising given the time.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Free drinks on PS routes?

Hope this is the right place to ask - I was under the impression that for Economy Plus, alcoholic beverages are free on PS routes. And, that seemed to have been the case for most of 2019 - until recently (about 4 weeks ago). Since, I have flown SFO-EWR round-trip twice, and all 4 times, flight attendants charged me for drinks. When I pointed out the rule, it was denied out-of-hand three times (but I was "gifted" a drink), the fourth time the very friendly FA checked with the parser who she said is on that route all the time, and he denied this rule - so I had to pay for a drink. Did United reverse its policy? Thank you!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobiask
Hope this is the right place to ask - I was under the impression that for Economy Plus, alcoholic beverages are free on PS routes. And, that seemed to have been the case for most of 2019 - until recently (about 4 weeks ago). Since, I have flown SFO-EWR round-trip twice, and all 4 times, flight attendants charged me for drinks. When I pointed out the rule, it was denied out-of-hand three times (but I was "gifted" a drink), the fourth time the very friendly FA checked with the parser who she said is on that route all the time, and he denied this rule - so I had to pay for a drink. Did United reverse its policy? Thank you!
You should write in to Premier Voice. The policy is clear:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...83376A2B8BAEA1

Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.