Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is that staffing for domestic flights as well? I thought they only did FAA minimum for domestic flights.
Yeah I thought we had four on EWR-SFO this week.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is that staffing for domestic flights as well? I thought they only did FAA minimum for domestic flights.
That’s international. Domestically:

787 all series 8 FAs 4 J 4 Y/C
773 10 FAs 5 J 5 Y/C
772 all series 8 FAs 4 J 4 Y/C
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
77Y/U 11 FAs (EWR-DEL only) 5 J 6 Y/C
Out of curiosity, what's different about DEL?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:46 am

why does United not market J as Polaris Business in the same way AA as Flagship Business & DL as Delta One do?
it is purely to keep customers out of the Polaris Lounges?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Colin
why does United not market J as Polaris Business in the same way AA as Flagship Business & DL as Delta One do?
That would be a very good reason!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Colin
Probably. A round-trip can be had for not much north of $1200 at times. A real Polaris destination is (at cheapest) easily double that. Last thing LAX and SFO Polaris lounges need is the potential crowd generated by high-frequency transcontinental route customers.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:38 pm

I've a first class ticket on a SFO-IAH-EWR flight in booking class P. Anyone know if I might be able to do a same day change to a direct SFO-EWR flight, given there is no First class in transcontinental PS, just Business class?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by j8s8er
I've a first class ticket on a SFO-IAH-EWR flight in booking class P. Anyone know if I might be able to do a same day change to a direct SFO-EWR flight, given there is no First class in transcontinental PS, just Business class?
The App will typically offer it if available, yes.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:22 pm

Does United transcon passengers have access to Polaris Lounge?

Last time I was at United Club at EWR, my experience can be described as dismal at best. I am not anxious to repeat the experience. I am flying transcon out of EWR again next month. I am looking for alternatives. Does United transcon passengers have access to the new Polaris Lounge?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ianlin
Last time I was at United Club at EWR, my experience can be described as dismal at best. I am not anxious to repeat the experience. I am flying transcon out of EWR again next month. I am looking for alternatives. Does United transcon passengers have access to the new Polaris Lounge?
In a word, no.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
No, unless you arrive from or have an onward connecting long-haul international flight.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:53 pm

Absolutely not. Polaris Lounge access requires flying either UA in Polaris across an ocean (i.e. EWR > LHR) or departing from a *A airline in J/F going across the ocean (i.e. SFO>NRT on NH). However, if you are a UA Gold or above member you have access to several non-UA lounges at EWR, namely the LH and SK lounge at Terminal B. The former has an excellent selection of food but tends to be crowded. The latter has meh food (albeit slightly better than UC EWR IMHO) but has tons more space due to it not being crowded. You can access Terminal B either by taking the United shuttle bus to Terminal B or by walking to Terminal B landside and clearing security there. If you do the latter, skip the line and keep walking towards security on the right hand side. You'll eventually see a sign that say Business/First. Use that line (since you're a *Gold) and you'll be in the terminal within 30 minutes or so. Keep in mind, you'll need to add time to get back to Terminal C since there is no bus airside to bring you back there. In that case use the Premier Access and/or TSA pre line (supposing you have the latter), whichever is shorter. From my experience it takes no more than 10 minutes to clear security using either lane.

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 2019 at 4:14 pm Reason: OT; extranous
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Nope. Probably good that way (to prevent overcrowding).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
In a word, no.
Originally Posted by bdw1120
No, unless you arrive from or have an onward connecting long-haul international flight.
Originally Posted by seanp7
Nope. Probably good that way (to prevent overcrowding).
Could someone pray tell explain for us the access rules to United domestic clubs when travelling on a p.s. service route, namely:
  • Does p.s. J get you access to a United Club?
  • Does UA Gold or above get you access whilst travelling in any class of p.s.?
It's important to note that not every transcontinental route is deemed p.s. service. IIRC flights between Newark and Los Angeles/San Francisco are the only ones. Also important to note is that meal service is offered for those seated in E+ on such routes in addition to those seated in J / F.

-James
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Could someone pray tell explain for us the access rules to United domestic clubs when travelling on a p.s. service route, namely:
  • Does p.s. J get you access to a United Club?
  • Does UA Gold or above get you access whilst travelling in any class of p.s.?

1) Yes, J will.
2) No, when in Y/Y+. You need to be a UC member, or *A Gold from a non-UA entity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.