Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfischer
I bought LAX-SFO for $480 a few months ago ...
Bummer.

David
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
787-10 up to 3x daily each way SFO-EWR according to flightaware. If it stays there I might convert over from B6 Mint.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
787-10 up to 3x daily each way SFO-EWR according to flightaware. If it stays there I might convert over from B6 Mint.
Probably placeholders/proving runs before the schedule change on March 30 that has new/changed WB international routes.
https://hub.united.com/united-announ...623210816.html
https://hub.united.com/united-airlin...619714319.html
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wxguy
Probably placeholders/proving runs before the schedule change on March 30 that has new/changed WB international routes.
https://hub.united.com/united-announ...623210816.html
https://hub.united.com/united-airlin...619714319.html
The 781s are not operating any of the long-haul routes from SFO. I haven't done the math, but the TATLs from EWR may well leave time for domestic turns to SFO.

The loads on the 781s between SFO and EWR are very solid . . . with J cabins typically booked 40+ within a week or two of departure.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 781s are not operating any of the long-haul routes from SFO. I haven't done the math, but the TATLs from EWR may well leave time for domestic turns to SFO.
Not possible. It's a 12 hour+ turn on the TCON route alone. Need more than one aircraft to accommodate TCON<->TATL.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not possible. It's a 12 hour+ turn on the TCON route alone. Need more than one aircraft to accommodate TCON<->TATL.
Yes, it is possible. You're not taking into account how aircraft in a multi-aircraft fleet are actually utilized. The same one doesn't just fly back and forth between EWR and DUB, for example. That would be incredibly inefficient.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, it is possible. You're not taking into account how aircraft in a multi-aircraft fleet are actually utilized. The same one doesn't just fly back and forth between EWR and DUB, for example. That would be incredibly inefficient.
Need more than one aircraft to accommodate TCON<->TATL.
I did post the need for multiple planes for routing; although most TATL and TPAC planes do fly right back to the origin airport with the same plane - e.g. EWR to DUB to EWR.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Not sure if it was the particular crew and/or the cutbacks that are being discussed in the Polaris threads, but the last PS flight on the 781 that I was on was not the best experience (only a single drink service, pax having to go to the galley to get refills, FAs speedwalking up & down the aisles during the meal service).

Anyone else experienced the same? Trying to decide if I should book my next PS on the 757 instead. While the seats aren't as nice, I've always thought the service on those in general has been pretty decent.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:31 am

I did post the need for multiple planes for routing; although most TATL and TPAC planes do fly right back to the origin airport with the same plane - e.g. EWR to DUB to EWR.
Your statement "Not possible" was simply wrong. A single aircraft could fly, for example, EWR-DUB-EWR-SFO in a single 24 hour period. Meanwhile one of the 11 other 781s based at EWR could fly the next day's EWR-DUB, while the first 781 returning to EWR from SFO could be used to operate one of the other destinations from EWR, such as CDG or FRA.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by econ
Not sure if it was the particular crew and/or the cutbacks that are being discussed in the Polaris threads, but the last PS flight on the 781 that I was on was not the best experience (only a single drink service, pax having to go to the galley to get refills, FAs speedwalking up & down the aisles during the meal service).

Anyone else experienced the same? Trying to decide if I should book my next PS on the 757 instead. While the seats aren't as nice, I've always thought the service on those in general has been pretty decent.
It's highly crew depend. They have 4 FAs staffed for the business class cabin for 44 seats, versus 2 for 16 or 3 for 28 on the 757. Just purely based on math, you get more prompt service on the 757. However, sounds like you got a lazy crew.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
It's highly crew depend. They have 4 FAs staffed for the business class cabin for 44 seats, versus 2 for 16 or 3 for 28 on the 757. Just purely based on math, you get more prompt service on the 757. However, sounds like you got a lazy crew.
Also, OP's "speedwalking" comment suggests the crew may have felt a bit frazzled. I've seen that on this aircraft, particularly with the less experienced FAs. They just get overwhelmed by the sheer number of pax in the single cabin. And frazzled service is rarely good service.

I'm on a 781 right now and the service is really excellent. As is the UA norm, the quality of the service is heavily crew-dependent.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
How many FAs work the J cabin on the 772 or the 77W, or even the 8s? Last time I was on a 772 in J, it was a CO 772, TLV-EWR. There were 4 FAs serving (2 each cabin) which meant there had to be at least 1 for each cabin plating, which comes to 6 total. If the 78Js only have 4 FAs in J, I would assume 2 are plating and 2 are service. Dang that's going to be slow service.

It is possible that they will put a 5th FA in J when the plane starts international service at the end of the month.

Another possibility is that the FAs jointly work J and PE and they break it un the middle. 2 FAs work Rows 1-7 in J, the 2 FAs work Rows 8-11 in J and rows 20-22 in PE, and 2 FAs do the plating.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
How many FAs work the J cabin on the 772 or the 77W, or even the 8s? Last time I was on a 772 in J, it was a CO 772, TLV-EWR. There were 4 FAs serving (2 each cabin) which meant there had to be at least 1 for each cabin plating, which comes to 6 total. If the 78Js only have 4 FAs in J, I would assume 2 are plating and 2 are service. Dang that's going to be slow service.

It is possible that they will put a 5th FA in J when the plane starts international service at the end of the month.

Another possibility is that the FAs jointly work J and PE and they break it un the middle. 2 FAs work Rows 1-7 in J, the 2 FAs work Rows 8-11 in J and rows 20-22 in PE, and 2 FAs do the plating.
78J 11 FAs 5 J 6 Y/C
77X 13 FAs 6 J 7 Y/C
77Y/U 11 FAs (EWR-DEL only) 5 J 6 Y/C
77Y/U all others & 78Z 10 FAs 5 J 5 Y/C
78V 9 FAs 4 J 5 Y/C
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
78J 11 FAs 5 J 6 Y/C
77X 13 FAs 6 J 7 Y/C
78V 9 FAs 4 J 5 Y/C
So 78J actually has best ratio in J cabin.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

78J 11 FAs 5 J 6 Y/C
77X 13 FAs 6 J 7 Y/C
78V 9 FAs 4 J 5 Y/C
Is that staffing for domestic flights as well? I thought they only did FAA minimum for domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.