Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
No. Your access is only as a Business Class passenger, which does not include guest privileges.
Thank you for clarifying that!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Quick question everyone: IAD-SFO is not considered Premium trans-con - is that correct? I'm in E+ this coming Sat and wondering if there would be free alcoholic beverages. The way out was LAX-EWR and that was definitely a nice perk

Thanks in advance,
- Tom
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by tstauck
Quick question everyone: IAD-SFO is not considered Premium trans-con - is that correct? I'm in E+ this coming Sat and wondering if there would be free alcoholic beverages. The way out was LAX-EWR and that was definitely a nice perk

Thanks in advance,
- Tom
The official Transcon Premium routes are BOS<>SFO, EWR<>SFO, and EWR<>LAX. Other routes are not, no matter the equipment.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
SFO-EWR isn't p.s. transcon?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wco81
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Technically nothing is 'p.s.' as UA has discarded that branding. However SFO-EWR is Premium as wxguy stated.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Technically nothing is 'p.s.' as UA has discarded that branding. However SFO-EWR is Premium as wxguy stated.
I still use PS / Premium but call it want you want it isn't a CPU eligible route. I wasn't aware that UA had officially dropped Premier Service (PS) from their branding on those routes.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by nomad420
I still use PS / Premium but call it want you want it isn't a CPU eligible route. I wasn't aware that UA had officially dropped Premier Service (PS) from their branding on those routes.
From the UA Website.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ging technical again, it was lower case p.s. with dots, not PS. Amazingly, there is even a wiki article. (Just learned that!)

After the drop of p.s., there was a brief period when they flirted with calling it 'Coast'. Glad the President of California or whoever proposed that didn't manage to stick it!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I still use "ps" - everyone knows what you're referring to (premium transcon service), and that's what matters.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does anyone know why UA is selling SFO-BOS rts in P for around $800? wide open schedule but with scattered PS avail
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sfnats
Does anyone know why UA is selling SFO-BOS rts in P for around $800? wide open schedule but with scattered PS avail
Scattered ex-BOS because of below:
Category 2: Day/Time restrictions

FROM BOS - PERMITTED 600PM TO 700PM DAILY.
This fare has been filed since 1H last year:

Category 14: Travel restrictions
VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON/AFTER 19JUN 18.
Why? Trying to capture more market share? B6 has a stronghold at BOS.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Fare war with B6... has happened with every market when they introduce Mint; it's finally starting to let up into NYC.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Le sigh. I wish LAX-BOS was ever that price. Heck I wish LAX-BOS was just the same price as SFO-BOS.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Feb 18, 2019 at 12:30 am
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Le sigh. I wish LAX-BOS was ever that price. Heck I wish LAX-BOS was just the same price as SFO-BOS.
I bought LAX-SFO for $480 a few months ago ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.