Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
I switched nearly all my SFO-NYC from UA to B6. Mint is a better product that can usually be found at a meaningful discount. United certainly doesn’t miss my business on that route because they keep filling the front of the plane on those utterly insane fares.
Are most seats on those routes sold at deep discounted price via United's corporate contracts?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by amislove
Regarding the discussion of BOS-LAX, I just noticed that some domestic first class fares are now including carve-outs for BOS-LAX along with EWR-SFO/LAX and BOS-SFO. For example, fare basis LAA2AHFN BOS-SAN says

Code:
04.FLIGHT APPLICATION
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN EWR
AND LAX.
AND
AND SFO.
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN BOS
AND SFO.
AND
AND LAX.
Compared to the same fare published last week, which said:

Code:
04.FLIGHT APPLICATION
AND LAX.
AND
AND SFO.
AND
AND SFO.
I checked a few other markets and I see the same thing. Not sure what that means...
Did the same thing happen before BOS <-> SFO became p.s.? If so, could be a good indication that BOS <-> LAX may be added to p.s.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Are most seats on those routes sold at deep discounted price via United's corporate contracts?
I’m sure there’s discounts but im doubting deep. My former firm (very large) had one and the discounts were fair at best (see what I did there)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Did the same thing happen before BOS <-> SFO became p.s.? If so, could be a good indication that BOS <-> LAX may be added to p.s.
yup
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flew BOS -> SFO the other day and was very impressed! I don't really ever fly domestic first class, but from a service/attentiveness level it was comparable with some of the international business class flights I've been on w/ foreign carriers. Proactively refilling drinks, taking coats, asking if I needed anything, etc. The food even exceeded expectations (ripe fruit, pleasant bread), although I wasn't expecting much with breakfast. Seemed definitely worth it with all the very cheap P fares they have on this specific route; B6 MINT always seems to be at least $100 more, although is probably worth it based on the reviews I've seen...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by amislove
Regarding the discussion of BOS-LAX, I just noticed that some domestic first class fares are now including carve-outs for BOS-LAX along with EWR-SFO/LAX and BOS-SFO. For example, fare basis LAA2AHFN BOS-SAN says

I checked a few other markets and I see the same thing. Not sure what that means...
Currently it means that buying a ticket between BOS and LAX in First is a massive pain and the nonstop requires nearly full fare

No. They announced BOS/SFO as p.s. before doing almost anything else.. but this is probably a sign in favor of BOS/LAX because they have also scheduled lie-flat 752s for the route.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
No. They announced BOS/SFO as p.s. before doing almost anything else.. but this is probably a sign in favor of BOS/LAX because they have also scheduled lie-flat 752s for the route.
752's do not a p.s./t.p.s. route make alone. UA had better add a few more daily flights - 1 or 2 a day doesn't cut it.

David
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Currently it means that buying a ticket between BOS and LAX in First is a massive pain and the nonstop requires nearly full fare
Man, you weren’t kidding: as a point of reference, the LAX>BOS nonstops on 2/18 are over $1,900 up front, while SFO>BOS via LAX—utilizing the same LAX>BOS segment, in the same lie-flat seat—is just $412.

Crazy.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

Man, you weren’t kidding: as a point of reference, the LAX>BOS nonstops on 2/18 are over $1,900 up front, while SFO>BOS via LAX—utilizing the same LAX>BOS segment, in the same lie-flat seat—is just $412.

Crazy.
I previously noted this here.

They will sell you a non-PQD, non bonus PQM-earning buyup, though.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
DL will sell you LAX-BOS on a lie flat 752 for a far more reasonable amount.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
DL will sell you LAX-BOS on a lie flat 752 for a far more reasonable amount.
Which is why I think this is an error in the published UA fares.

Can't explain why it hasn't been fixed though.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This is the kind of thing where if I needed to travel, I might try to get Reservations to yell at the rate desk. It would not change anything overnight, but it might push the change along. It's clearly an unintended error that will sort itself out eventually, but how soon is very unclear. They may be gearing up to add BOS/LAX as p.s. and publish a non-differential fare table.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
TIt's clearly an unintended error that will sort itself out eventually, but how soon is very unclear.
Should be good for upgrades though
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Question, and mods please move if I am asking in the wrong place.

I'm a 1K flying later this week EWR-SFO up front (p.s.). I know when I travel on an international itinerary I can bring one guest into the United Club with me. I also know that I can access the United Club even though not international because it is p.s.

The question is, am I allowed to bring a guest into the United Club with me in EWR when I'm flying on this p.s. itinerary that is not part of an international trip? I am not a club member - I only have access as United gold or above on international itinerary, or in this case because I'm flying p.s.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Question, and mods please move if I am asking in the wrong place.

I'm a 1K flying later this week EWR-SFO up front (p.s.). I know when I travel on an international itinerary I can bring one guest into the United Club with me. I also know that I can access the United Club even though not international because it is p.s.

The question is, am I allowed to bring a guest into the United Club with me in EWR when I'm flying on this p.s. itinerary that is not part of an international trip? I am not a club member - I only have access as United gold or above on international itinerary, or in this case because I'm flying p.s.
No. Your access is only as a Business Class passenger, which does not include guest privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.