Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
That is a better deal than the $250 copay + 20,000 miles for an upgrade award.
Agreed, and I think I made the mistake of doing just that for a ps flight in 4 weeks...

Booked it 8 weeks out J9 C9 D9 with 0/28 seats taken on the seat map. Snagged a K fare for ridiculously cheap, and thought there might be a >0 chance for an upgrade on such a lightly booked J cabin. Now 4 weeks out and still only 2/28 seats taken. They threw in a Z1 for a few days. And they've played around with D up and down. Now at J9 C9 D5.

The bad thing is, now that I have a waitlisted upgrade, I can't see any other kinds of offers in the manage reservation / change seats pages. I'd almost cancel the upgrade request to see what offers might pop up, but have no faith in .bomb that it would change my status as upgrade-purchase-possible in its behind the scenes machinations for these types of offers. Gamble either way.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
This is exactly why I pulled the trigger @ $310. For six hour block time (not to mention any possible delays making the fight seem interminable long), club access in EWR (granted not the best, but better than nothing) and since it booked into Z, it gives me more flexibility for SDC. And while I could have risked saving money and applying an RPU, I'd rather confirm it a week in advance and not be sweating it out at the gate, or doing a day of departure buy up which wouldn't net me the extra PQM's or better fare class for SDC.
You should also have club access when you arrive in LAX, and LAX is one of the better UC's in the system. Outdoor patio too!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
This is exactly why I pulled the trigger @ $310. For six hour block time (not to mention any possible delays making the fight seem interminable long), club access in EWR (granted not the best, but better than nothing) and since it booked into Z, it gives me more flexibility for SDC. And while I could have risked saving money and applying an RPU, I'd rather confirm it a week in advance and not be sweating it out at the gate, or doing a day of departure buy up which wouldn't net me the extra PQM's or better fare class for SDC.
Yeah, in my opinion $310 is an easy choice.. although I routinely pay up the $309 fare differential and just fly TCONs in F so ymmv.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
I'd almost cancel the upgrade request to see what offers might pop up
You'll pay a redeposit fee for that.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by tstauck
You should also have club access when you arrive in LAX, and LAX is one of the better UC's in the system. Outdoor patio too!
Yes! LAX is my home airport, and do enjoy the club there... but actually use the Star Alliance lounge or Maple Leaf lounge more frequently, since I don't have United Club membership (outside of when flying int'l or PS).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have been flying JetBlue Mint lately between SFO-JFK and SFO-BOS. 8 RTs so far this year. Just flew UA SFO-BOS RT for first time this year and was pleasantly surprised. On both flights, the flight was ontime, FAs were helpful and in good moods. Great to see UA appear to be trying again. And flying UA made me remember how uncomfortable the B6 Mint seats are! I still much prefer B6 Mint product (can't beat the solo suite), but when UA is cheaper, I will continue to give them a shot.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Free meal in E+?

I've just made a reservation, LAX-EWR, the plane is a 777. Will I get a meal service in E+? (daytime flight). It's unclear from United's site. On my reservation on the UA site it says only "meals for purchase". If I have to buy one of those snack boxes again I'm going to do a murder.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by watersign
I've just made a reservation, LAX-EWR, the plane is a 777. Will I get a meal service in E+? (daytime flight). It's unclear from United's site. On my reservation on the UA site it says only "meals for purchase". If I have to buy one of those snack boxes again I'm going to do a murder.
Yes, meal in E+ is served.

If you have 1K status (profile), you shouldn't have to buy snack boxes on any route, though.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...If I have to buy one of those snack boxes again I'm going to do a murder.
Have you just attained 1K, or is the status you're showing wrong? 1ks get a free food item and alcoholic drink in coach for several years now.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
As fumje said, yes you will get a "meal" and yes as a 1K you are allowed one complimentary box but due yourself a favor and buy something at LAX prior to departure and take your free 1K drink on board. It is a longish flight and those "snack boxes" I find, well.... kind of horrible.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Oh yeah, I got bounced down to Platinum this year (and I fly domestically very rarely - so my last experience was about 2 years before that).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Any reports on whether the LAX<>BOS flights now operated with the PS birds that started today are catered with PS bedding and meals?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Any reports on whether the LAX<>BOS flights now operated with the PS birds that started today are catered with PS bedding and meals?
When used on non-premium transcon routes, the service will be standard domestic service. If UA decides to include LAX<>BOS in the premium transcon category, then the service will change to match.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I have a flight in about a week and a half and will report back if no one else has by then.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm on LAX-BOS friday night on a 16J 752. I'll bring my own pillow
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When used on non-premium transcon routes, the service will be standard domestic service.
Whether you get pillow and duvet on domestic lie-flat has always varied by station and flight. I've gotten them on SFO-ORD (and vv), but not on IAH-LAX, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.