Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Rats. Learn something new every day ... except something tells me I posted a previous question about upgrades on that route and got the same answer. Maybe this time it'll stick.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well this is a $60 scam:

Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well this is a $60 scam:

This is wrong all the time. Like offering paid E+ when the pax is already seated in E+. Should it be reported ... probably. UA selling an amenity that is included in a purchased ticket or the status of the customer is beyond fishy ... but unfortunately common.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Thoughts on buying an upgrade
Right now the offer is $310 for EWR-LAX
Roughly 10 seats left out of 28 total
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger but not sure if it will get much cheaper than that
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ckidder331
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger but not sure if it will get much cheaper than that
I'd do it, but YMMV. When are you taking this flight?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I'd do it, but YMMV. When are you taking this flight?
flight is about 2 weeks out right now
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
That is a better deal than the $250 copay + 20,000 miles for an upgrade award.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA MP
What fare class are you booked in?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by erickliu
What fare class are you booked in?
booked in "K" so yeah its 20,000 miles + $250 copay which I would NOT do (and its waitlist anyways)

I'm more wondering if people have seen in the past of it dropping to something closer to $200 instead of $310.
Reading the UPgrade/TOD thread I saw a couple posts about being offered $199 but that seemed to be much closer to departure/at check-in and not sure I wanna wait that long as it could sell out or just go up in price.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
booked in "K" so yeah its 20,000 miles + $250 copay which I would NOT do (and its waitlist anyways)

I'm more wondering if people have seen in the past of it dropping to something closer to $200 instead of $310.
Reading the UPgrade/TOD thread I saw a couple posts about being offered $199 but that seemed to be much closer to departure/at check-in and not sure I wanna wait that long as it could sell out or just go up in price.
$299 to $310 is pretty standard. There have been some posts of lower prices, but mainly for the red eye flights.

Personally I would take it, especially if it's a later afternoon / evening flight that has the dinner service. It's booked at 6 hours plus 1/2 hr early for boarding, so for 6.5 hours that's not a bad deal.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
$310 is a pretty standard value. Gambling on it going lower is very risky.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
$310 is a pretty standard value. Gambling on it going lower is very risky.
But it is a good way to save money - by flying in Y.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I don't have UC access so I would typically do this if I will have time for the lounge, would like a meal/drink onboard and, where applicable, I may want to SDC in P/Z class to another PS flight (especially to avoid a redeye!)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
I don't have UC access so I would typically do this if I will have time for the lounge, would like a meal/drink onboard and, where applicable, I may want to SDC in P/Z class to another PS flight (especially to avoid a redeye!)
that's a great point. even though its EWR United Clubs, you get to relax in the lounge beforehand as well which makes the $310 more compelling.
Frankly I don't fly a crazy amount every year so splurging on the longer domestic flights (and this is one of them) is worth it to me
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
that's a great point. even though its EWR United Clubs, you get to relax in the lounge beforehand as well which makes the $310 more compelling.
Frankly I don't fly a crazy amount every year so splurging on the longer domestic flights (and this is one of them) is worth it to me
This is exactly why I pulled the trigger @ $310. For six hour block time (not to mention any possible delays making the fight seem interminable long), club access in EWR (granted not the best, but better than nothing) and since it booked into Z, it gives me more flexibility for SDC. And while I could have risked saving money and applying an RPU, I'd rather confirm it a week in advance and not be sweating it out at the gate, or doing a day of departure buy up which wouldn't net me the extra PQM's or better fare class for SDC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.