Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
Have have printed menus, hot towels, amenity kits, and Cowshed products been eliminated from these premium flights? I have taken three premium transcontinental flights in recent days and noticed several apparent changes. No printed menu or scented hot towels were provided, and the restrooms were not stocked with the usual Cowshed amenities that I love. Also, I did not see amenity kits distributed. Disappointing, the death by a thousand cuts!
The hot towels and amenity kit are still listed on their website. In fact, they promise hot towel service twice - under the captions "Ease into your journey" and "Dine." Or course, United has never been known for their consistency.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...-services.aspx
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Yeah, I was on a EWR - SFO in biz last night and thought it was odd that we were read the choices instead of given a menu.

It was still the same options (deli meat appetizer, choice of short rib, turbot, duck ravioli, sundae, and old fashioned) however.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
I just booked our trip to Europe. The return flight is via EWR and the EWR to LAX portion is on a 777 with the backward facing business class seats. I've never been on PS before so wondering if this would still be considered PS with its upgraded dining etc?
I really enjoy those backward seats.

And, if you have a window sest, don't, under any circumstance, trade with someone with the four moddmi seats.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by tphuang
Reality is that only mint has the cost structure to make some of these routes work. DL is loosing a lot of money on those new D1 routes they added that compete with B6. And add on top of that, BOS-SFO probably used up all the premium air frames that UA has. They are not going to put lie flat out of IAD unless B6 enters those routes. So, BOS-LAX is the only possibility. Using domestic F is a problem since they are always the lowest prices. Lie flat is also a problem since there just isn't enough premium demand to generate high fares. DL is finding that now. They initially tried to sell D1 seats at $699. Now, there is always $549 available a couple of weeks out and they still can't sell out.
I've been watching a D1 BOS-LAX flight later this month and the pricing is wild. It started at $899, and at random intervals plummets to $499. After a few days the price jumps back to $899. Too bad it wasn't $499 when I purchased. In May I was surprised I snagged a $699 fare on the same route. Love lie flat nonstop to LA from BOS, but I think it is a challenging pricing environment. BTW, UA never gets my business on this route because of the domestic F product.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Have have printed menus, hot towels, amenity kits, and Cowshed products been eliminated from these premium flights? I have taken three premium transcontinental flights in recent days and noticed several apparent changes. No printed menu or scented hot towels were provided, and the restrooms were not stocked with the usual Cowshed amenities that I love. Also, I did not see amenity kits distributed. Disappointing, the death by a thousand cuts!
On an SFO-EWR yesterday there was no printed menu, but thought I saw a small black zipper kit stowed in the cubby above my seat. Also offered a hot towel. Don't remember on the restroom products.

Dessert cart was still fully stocked.

Old fashioned cocktail boarded.

Still handing out the wraps before landing.

I'd rather have better wine and app / main quality than the amenity kit or wraps.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Unless there was a catering error, those should be provided.
Also, no menus for flights after 9pm since those are snack flights. You should have received an amenity kit. Often the FA would place them on the seat instead of handing them out.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Midafternoon EWR-SFO last Wednesday had no amenity kits, but did have everything else.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Getting rid of the printed menus reeks of a Kirby-like cheap cut. I encountered it once and thought it was a one-off. My guess is if they don’t get enough pushback, they will disappear entirely. No offense to the FAs, but they cannot memorize the description of the meals to the point where they can replace physical menus.

Having flown plenty of non-UA flights in international J this year, it is embarrassing how poor their product - both hard (given the slowness of Polaris rollout) and soft (no explanation needed) - compares. Someone needs to tell these folks that you have to spend money to make money.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I would not be surprised if catering screwed up and didn't load the menus. They always seem to be forgetting something, whether it be menus, amenity kits, or dessert serving containers.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
While I agree a nice printed menu helps reenforce the premium service that is supposedly being offered. But practically speaking, not sure I really get the point of the menus, since the entrees have not changed in years.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

Breakfast menu
No worries; menus are still a thing.

Saks blanket, pillow and amenity kit this morning.
Menu provided.

As much as blaming Kirby is a sport around here, this isn’t the case at all. Was just a catering shortage/error/etc.

All is right with the world.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I've been watching a D1 BOS-LAX flight later this month and the pricing is wild. It started at $899, and at random intervals plummets to $499. After a few days the price jumps back to $899. Too bad it wasn't $499 when I purchased. In May I was surprised I snagged a $699 fare on the same route. Love lie flat nonstop to LA from BOS, but I think it is a challenging pricing environment. BTW, UA never gets my business on this route because of the domestic F product.
it's summer season, so you are going to see less of those deals. I think they were just starting off D1 on this route, so they were trying to figure out what the right pricing strategy is. But if you look more than 3 weeks ahead, there is plenty of days where they still have $549 pricing. And there are always $699 fares a week or 2 out. Those fares aren't going away anytime soon.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

Great service this morning continues EWR-SFO. Fabulous inflight crew - super friendly. Everything this flight should be.

As an interesting point of note ... this is one of the very few (if not the only) domestic flights with special meal availability. I ordered my 11yo son the child meal, and here’s what he received... also note that’s a jar of actual maple syrup, not a synthetic. Nice touch. There was also a sausage link that he ate before I could snap the picture. :-)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Breakfast of a 11 y/o champion I recall in the domestic catering thread special meals are now available for flights >2,000 miles - there were pictures of the Indian vegetarian meal on a EWR-LAS flight, I believe. Wonder if special meals are available when you're upgraded at <T-48 though.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Great service this morning continues EWR-SFO. Fabulous inflight crew - super friendly. Everything this flight should be.

As an interesting point of note ... this is one of the very few (if not the only) domestic flights with special meal availability. I ordered my 11yo son the child meal, and here’s what he received... also note that’s a jar of actual maple syrup, not a synthetic. Nice touch. There was also a sausage link that he ate before I could snap the picture. :-)

Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Definitely special meals available on EWR-SAN also. My kids had chicken nuggets shaped like dinosaurs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.