Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?
What is a "Polaris-configured 752" exactly? If you mean 16J v 28J seats, it's exactly the same!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
same same but different. but still same.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?
Very little difference. Bulkhead seat availability would be my criteria.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Same seats. I'd book the 16J. I like the smaller cabin but also if you're in a 28J and seated in the 2nd half and there's a swap to a 16J you could be SOL so would rather not hassle with it.
Thanks. That sounds like good advice.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Seat discussion for each of the two 752 PS variations
28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E- config
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E- config

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pmua-pmco.html

However, other lie-flat aircraft are used on the PS routes, presently include the one 77W with true Polaris seats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If the 16J is just the old CO plane, then what confused me was Seatguru calling them Polaris.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The 16J cabins are much older and really getting tired. The AVOD is prior generation and the cabins are physically beat-up. They needed a refresh about two years ago and are now at the point that I avoid them. IMO you're also more likely to get a good crew on the 28J, but that's probably an overgeneralization.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If the 16J is just the old CO plane, then what confused me was Seatguru calling them Polaris.
First, always be careful of Seatguru

Second, all international lie flat bussiness service of UA has been re-labeled as Polaris Class (w/ or w/o the Polaris seat) in the sense of Connoisseur of years past or BusinessFirst more recently. The same term also being used about the new seat.

In Seatguru's defense, the 16 seat config is used both domestically and internationally, so it is Polaris Class when on a TATL flight.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them.
Originally Posted by rch4u
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so
Cookies are no longer baked on board - they are just reheated and warmed up. At one point, they were baking them fresh from cookie dough. However, the results were inconsistent based on the FA working in the galley, so they stopped doing that.

The entertainment system is different, if that makes a difference. The 16J is the old sCO system with less number of movies and TV shows, and no Channel 9.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Unlikely, for exactly that reason.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Looks like SFO-EWR (233) and EWR-SFO (418) are on Hawaii config 777. Imagine there are a few unhappy campers up front who were expecting lie flat seats...
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smxflyer
Looks like SFO-EWR (233) and EWR-SFO (418) are on Hawaii config 777. Imagine there are a few unhappy campers up front who were expecting lie flat seats...
Ouch. And 418 is already showing departure delayed 2:38.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
So, is there compensation due when a non-ps aircraft is used??? (for Business Class customers, I mean)

Last edited by blueman2; Feb 10, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Seat discussion for each of the two 752 PS variations
28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E- config

16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E- config

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pmua-pmco.html

However, other lie-flat aircraft are used on the PS routes, presently include the one 77W with true Polaris seats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html
Is there any word on what will happen to J class seats once the current p.s. fleet retires? It probably wouldn't be possible to put in the new Polaris seats into narrowbodies, but curious if UA plans to update at all. Those pmUA planes are looking pretty old (overheads baggage, air vents, etc...)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Ouch. And 418 is already showing departure delayed 2:38.
My S.O. is on this flight. He kissed goodbye any chances of his upgrade clearing when there was an aircraft switch. almost 3 hour delay now, plus a lousy airplane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.