Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier 1K
United ps SFO-EWR questions from newbie

Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them!

Have a great day!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Choose the plane, not the time. The ones with 28 or greater business class seats offer a greater chance to get upgraded than 16.

If you have RPU's, unless you have other reasons to use it, go ahead and apply it. Cash upgrade is offered via online check-in.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by monczao
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them!

Have a great day!
1) Sunday redeyes are tough, IMO, as there are a lot of commuters headed to the East Coast to start the business week Monday AM, and the obvious preference is for a flat bed. Anecdotally, Mondays are better, and instead of particular departure times, I usually look to flights operated by 28J 75K ships if I'm trying for an RPU (777s too, but they rarely make it to redeyes unless an equipment sub).

2) Cash buy-ups vary in price. If I'm paying out of my own pocket, I don't think it's worth more than the advance purchase one way P fares, which are in the ~$650 range these days. If fare paid + buy-up offer brings me into that ballpark, I'll at least consider it, if I don't buy it outright in the first place. Keep in mind that buy-up offers immediately after purchase and at check-in often won't result in a reissue, so your PQD may not reflect how much you actually paid, and offers at check-in sometimes will not earn 2x PQM (book into ZN crediting at underlying fare basis for PQM). So, caveat emptor.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Hello all,

Have a great day!
ps flights aren't CPU eligible, and are the biz seats on red eyes I've been on are usually sold out a week or so in advance :/
I would try to buy up in advance. I usually check out the upgrade list (for folks using instruments), and they rarely clear.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:05 am

The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've concluded it's best just to purchase the advance P fare at $649 each way. There is an advance purchase requirement, which varies.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jr0ck
The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?
Advertised as Otis Spunkmeyer although website is always a dubious source. They're decent although I prefer the Christie Cookie Co. ones that are served on Express flights

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've concluded it's best just to purchase the advance P fare at $649 each way. There is an advance purchase requirement, which varies.
Up to $664 at a 30-day AP now. They bumped it $10 and then $5 a week later this quarter... it's like they hope we don't notice.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Up to $664 at a 30-day AP now. They bumped it $10 and then $5 a week later this quarter... it's like they hope we don't notice.
I find the lack of R availability much more upsetting . . . .
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I find the lack of R availability much more upsetting . . . .
Yes, although I also never fail to be astounded how many over-$1k fares they sell. My backup is always something like SFO-IAH-LGA where I can fly the 789 for half of it, get notably more PQM, and it's still less than $650 all the way up to T-7.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Delta is now serving free meals I need Y on JFK-SFO/LAX...wonder if UA will follow or not...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
How to get on UG waitlist within 24h?

What is the right way to apply a GPU/RPU to get added to UG standby list within 24h of departure?

when doing SDC waitlist often does not carry over

i guess this is a general GPU question but also relevant for PS flights.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
What is the right way to apply a GPU/RPU to get added to UG standby list within 24h of departure?
Not allowed under the rules. New waitlist requests may only be made outside of T-24. A very helpful agent might violate the rules and do it for you.

when doing SDC waitlist often does not carry over
It's not supposed to. Instrument needs to be redeposited and reapplied.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Not allowed under the rules. New waitlist requests may only be made outside of T-24. A very helpful agent might violate the rules and do it for you.

It's not supposed to. Instrument needs to be redeposited and reapplied.
can I do it at the gate then? Why don't they allow certificates within 24h?
sdc be default is within 24h so I cannot reapply per your first statement, correct?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:16 pm

can I do it at the gate then? Why don't they allow certificates within 24h?
sdc be default is within 24h so I cannot reapply per your first statement, correct?
Per the rules, you can't waitlist within T-24. You can clear into open R.

Again, a helpful agent may waive the restriction.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Polaris vs p.s.

Looking at EWR-SFO flights for this fall, it seems I have a choice between Polaris-configured 752s and p.s.-configured 752s. Assuming both configurations will really be flying at that time, will there be any notable difference between the hard and soft experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.