FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

Kacee Nov 19, 2022 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34770621)
As for lie-flat seats, give me the more intimate AA F 1-1 any day over UA's. The entire experience is better anyway.

I've had plenty of bad AA crews, but they do seem to put their best FAs on the premium t-cons. Just like UA used to do back when they cared.

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34770621)
I am more than willing to take one for the team if Kacee is not going to post a picture of the Sundae with the works on a domestic flight.

Okay already ;)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...609cc93b91.jpg

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 19, 2022 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34771001)
I've had plenty of bad AA crews, but they do seem to put their best FAs on the premium t-cons. Just like UA used to do back when they cared.
Okay already ;)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...609cc93b91.jpg

I guess whoever designed the glorious sundaes at CO is now at AA.

PsiFighter37 Nov 19, 2022 4:16 pm

Flew on an SFO-EWR redeye last night. I was asleep so I can't opine on the service (they didn't bother us, so that's a good sign), but I was bothered by the purser twice stating we were onboard a 777-10 (we were on a 77W). You would think people who are on airplanes for a living would have the names of the plane types correct!

Dpetryszyn Nov 19, 2022 6:17 pm

My upcoming LAX-EWR shows only two pre-order options; the butternut squash ravioli and Thai noodle chicken. Does this mean these will be the two choices onboard if not preselected?

DELee Nov 19, 2022 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn (Post 34771281)
My upcoming LAX-EWR shows only two pre-order options; the butternut squash ravioli and Thai noodle chicken. Does this mean these will be the two choices onboard if not preselected?

If you're lucky. Otherwise, none if there's a "catering error".

David

WineCountryUA Nov 19, 2022 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn (Post 34771281)

No, it does not. It could be entirely different, the same or additionally choices.

PTahCha Nov 20, 2022 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34770605)
Not really.
- AA F is 1-1.
- B6 has single thrones.
- UA 1-2-1 is only "better" if you're flying solo. As a couple, I prefer AA J.
- The AA version of the Diamond seat is much better spaced than UA's, much newer, and overall much more comfortable. As a seat, it's more comfortable IMO than either Polaris or the AA F seat (Cirrus).

AA is overall not a very good airline, but their premium t-con blows UA away in literally every respect. I will spare you the pic of the sundae I was served on Tuesday night - Haagen-Daz, hot fudge, berries, nuts, and whipped cream. The pre-flight cheeseburger at JFK FFD was pretty excellent too.

This is not to defend UA, but we need to compare apples to other apples.

1) AA has a separate F class seating with FFD, which is not comparable to UA business class. By default, it should be better. And I had a terrible experience in AA transcon F, where the purser forced me to choose between the soup or salad, left bottles of wine for self-service (which is a FAA reg violation), and when the wine ran out, she claimed that they ran out of wine. Oh, and there's no choice for dessert other than the sundae, despite of what the menu advertised. Granted, this was one data point, and I had other better experience on AA transcon F, but on FlyerTalk, one experience means that's the entire fleet. :p

2) B6's throne seats are 4 out of 16 in the original Mint configuration. Unless the flight is scheduled with Mint 2.0 seats, there's 3 in 4 chance you'll end up sitting next to someone else.

3) It's been debunked, by moi, that the pitch for AA J on A321 is less than UA J on 757. The difference is the fuselage width, where A321 is wider, hence it feels longer and more spacious.

But yes, AA transcon premium classes have been the amenity-rich leader during and after pandemic , with multi-course service and more choices for main course and dessert.

Kacee Nov 20, 2022 8:16 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 34771635)
It's been debunked, by moi, that the pitch for AA J on A321 is less than UA J on 757. The difference is the fuselage width, where A321 is wider, hence it feels longer and more spacious.

So what? Pitch is an irrelevant measurement in this context. The seats are angled. The wider cabin means they're able to angle more steeply and you have a longer bed. Which means the Diamond's small footwell is not an issue and you have a much more comfortable J seat on AA's 321. This is just simple geometry and beyond credible dispute.

If you gave UA those extra inches of cabin width, they'd put the seats even closer together, resulting in that same uncomfortably tight space. This is where AA get kudos for using the extra cabin width to create a more comfortable passenger experience.

Colin Nov 24, 2022 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34772136)
So what? Pitch is an irrelevant measurement in this context. The seats are angled. The wider cabin means they're able to angle more steeply and you have a longer bed. Which means the Diamond's small footwell is not an issue and you have a much more comfortable J seat on AA's 321. This is just simple geometry and beyond credible dispute.

If you gave UA those extra inches of cabin width, they'd put the seats even closer together, resulting in that same uncomfortably tight space. This is where AA get kudos for using the extra cabin width to create a more comfortable passenger experience.

no sane person choses between AA vs. UA on that basis rather than price, schedule, airport.

DELee Nov 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 34782170)
no sane person choses between AA vs. UA on that basis rather than price, schedule, airport.

Depends on how tall you are.

David

Infinite1K Jan 9, 2023 8:00 am

Originally Posted by lunchtime (Post 34907136)
It definitely seems like aa, dl, and b6 are definitely the best choice if food is your primary driver on premium trans cons. The United Polaris seat and the premium economy Seats might be the best seats though for those prices imho. If your just there to relax and don’t care about food united has a pretty good seat

Except for when United has 752s. Based on the current schedule, fortunately there are still only a few for SFO, but seem to be the majority for LAX.

There you’ll get the same/similar or worse seat to a business AA, DL or B6.

UAflyer93 Jan 9, 2023 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 34907319)
Except for when United has 752s. Based on the current schedule, fortunately there are still only a few for SFO, but seem to be the majority for LAX.

There you’ll get the same/similar or worse seat to a business AA, DL or B6.

I was looking at booking EWR-SFO in early June and the schedule is almost entirely 757-200 and high density 777s with the 8 across J seats. Hard pass.

Repooc17 Jan 9, 2023 11:33 pm

I know everyone dismisses the 752, but I like it, especially in Y - memorable personal experience with a fellow pax :) and have spent a lot hours in row 21.

752 Y > widebody Y

findark Jan 10, 2023 7:24 am

I still like the 752 in J, but we've gotten to the point where the main alternative is Polaris :)

I much prefer the 752 to the 77G. Narrowbody lie-flat cabins feel nice and private. Also far better than the old DL 763s that can be found on these routes, and the same as DL/AA narrowbodies.

Kacee Jan 10, 2023 7:26 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 34910720)
I much prefer the 752 to the 77G. Narrowbody lie-flat cabins feel nice and private. Also far better than the DL 763s that can be found on these routes, and the same as DL/AA narrowbodies.

The UA 752 is not same as AA's 321T. The 321T uses the same seat, but the configuration is more generous due to the wider Airbus cabin. The cabins are also newer. The result is a noticeably more spacious, comfortable, and all around nicer seat. In AA's configuration, the Diamond is an exceptionally comfortable seat, really great if you're traveling as a couple.

The much better food and service on AA's premium t-cons is an added bonus.