FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

fumje Oct 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by rtool (Post 34682153)
Flew E+ SFO-EWR 9pm departure
My expectations were low going in, so no complaints here
  • Got the one tray hot meal (choice of chicken vs. ravioli) + green salad + roll + cheesecake (no fruit, though)
  • Got croissant + Chobani yogurt cup before landing (IIRC, that's the same breakfast as I had in J on the same flight back in June 2022)
  • Thin blanket that I didn't use; no amenties kit or pillow
  • Liked the Premier access check in, and was able to get the orange tag on my checked bag

Do you mean P+ (PremiumPlus)? I am not aware of meals returning to E+ (Economy Plus) on this route. (Confusing terminology, to be sure.)

Infinite1K Oct 15, 2022 9:41 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34682160)
Do you mean P+ (PremiumPlus)? I am not aware of meals returning to E+ (Economy Plus) on this route. (Confusing terminology, to be sure.)

1K used to get boxes and drinks. As did E+.

But yes, never an option to get the J meals like with Premium Plus (Premium Economy).

Flying Machine Oct 15, 2022 10:40 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34682160)

I was reading with super interested eyes. The free meals and free drinks was a great perk on the “premium trans cons” in E+

Repooc17 Oct 15, 2022 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34683254)
I was reading with super interested eyes. The free meals and free drinks was a great perk on the “premium trans cons” in E+

Fun while they lasted. I was on one of the first flights some summers ago when they comped hot meal in economy plus.

DELee Oct 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34683254)

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34683668)
Fun while they lasted. I was on one of the first flights some summers ago when they comped hot meal in economy plus.

Uh, that goes back to pmUA's p.s. service.

David

MatthewLAX Oct 15, 2022 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34683698)
Uh, that goes back to pmUA's p.s. service.

David

True, but eventually that was cut as well with $smisek in charge (May have even been in the waning Tilton era).

EWR764 Oct 16, 2022 6:40 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 34683759)
True, but eventually that was cut as well with $smisek in charge (May have even been in the waning Tilton era).

Yes, I think the free Y meals on the original p.s. went away well before the merger.

DELee Oct 16, 2022 9:07 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34684876)
Yes, I think the free Y meals on the original p.s. went away well before the merger.

In Y. In E+, continued up to the pandemic.

David

youngGS Oct 16, 2022 11:41 am

757-200 showing regular seats not the “yellow lie flats”

Have an upcoming flight from LAX to ewr and the seat map shows the big blue squares for the first class seats and not the yellow pods on a 757-200. Didn’t know 757-200’s with that existed or do you think it’s a mistake?

flight 11/22/22 LAX to EWR at 3pm UA951

WineCountryUA Oct 16, 2022 11:50 am

Originally Posted by youngGS (Post 34685461)
Have an upcoming flight from LAX to ewr and the seat map shows the big blue squares for the first class seats and not the yellow pods on a 757-200. Didn’t know 757-200’s with that existed or do you think it’s a mistake?

flight 11/22/22 LAX to EWR at 3pm UA951

UA is only operating 752's with 16 lie-flats seats

BTW it is UA591

EWR764 Oct 16, 2022 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34685158)
In Y. In E+, continued up to the pandemic.

David

The original p.s. service had free meals in Y (all E+) and that was cut long before the merger. Then, in 2017 or so, UA brought back hot meals in transcon E+. Those went away with the pandemic and have yet to return. There was probably a decade or so in between when there were no free hot meals in UA transcon Y, not including comped 1K/GS snacks.

DELee Oct 16, 2022 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34685900)
The original p.s. service had free meals in Y (all E+) and that was cut long before the merger. Then, in 2017 or so, UA brought back hot meals in transcon E+. Those went away with the pandemic and have yet to return. There was probably a decade or so in between when there were no free hot meals in UA transcon Y, not including comped 1K/GS snacks.

Ok. Did partake when sitting in E+ on the t.p.s. flights from 2017 through early 2020. IIRC, also applied on SFO-BOS.

David

PTahCha Oct 16, 2022 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by rtool (Post 34682153)
Flew PE E+ SFO-EWR 9pm departure
My expectations were low going in, so no complaints here
  • Got the one tray hot meal (choice of chicken vs. ravioli) + green salad + roll + cheesecake (no fruit, though)
  • Got croissant + Chobani yogurt cup before landing (IIRC, that's the same breakfast as I had in J on the same flight back in June 2022)
  • Thin blanket that I didn't use; no amenties kit or pillow
  • Liked the Premier access check in, and was able to get the orange tag on my checked bag

Um, there's no fruit on the lunch/dinner tray for transcon flights, even in Business, nor an amenity kit in transcon PP.

a.tall.guy Oct 16, 2022 7:29 pm

Same here. Mine showed lie flat at the time of booking, but has now switched. Don't know if this is a concern.

as219 Oct 21, 2022 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34685477)
UA is only operating 752's with 16 lie-flats seats

BTW it is UA591

Looking at flights in early 2023, and I'm noticing that 787s and 777s have almost entirely disappeared on on EWR-SFO/LAX routes. A harbinger of things to come? (or is it just me...)

God these flights will suck if all that premium capacity goes away...