FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

porciuscato Feb 28, 17 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 27972742)
I don't think this has anything to do with staffing levels....

I think it does. I just did an EWR->SFO flight on the 777-300ER and the service was excruciatingly slow. I don't love the over-rushed way it's usually done. But this was the other extreme: over 3 hours to get through the meal. One FA said that she was called up from the back to help.

The ice cream was (for once) perfectly soft -- though the FA seemed to think that "lots of fudge" meant a tea-spoon. But it's a fantastic day when that's my biggest complaint.

CappuccinoAddict Mar 1, 17 7:18 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 27972904)
I think it does. I just did an EWR->SFO flight on the 777-300ER and the service was excruciatingly slow. I don't love the over-rushed way it's usually done. But this was the other extreme: over 3 hours to get through the meal. One FA said that she was called up from the back to help.

The ice cream was (for once) perfectly soft -- though the FA seemed to think that "lots of fudge" meant a tea-spoon. But it's a fantastic day when that's my biggest complaint.

Had a similar issue last summer on EWR-LAX on the 772. Took several hours to get through the meal, which is ridiculous on such a short flight.

TA Mar 1, 17 7:36 am

I also noticed the slow pace of the meal service on Monday's flight (although the meal itself was very nice, the fish is great). I think they just have too many people to serve for the # of FAs. I sat in the back C cabin, and we were among the last in the sequence, and it did feel like hours. It seemed to be 1 FA per 16 people on the right side of the 2nd C cabin. (and I really hope they weren't responsible for the front C cabin as well)

Dublin_rfk Mar 1, 17 10:05 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 27972742)
I don't think this has anything to do with staffing levels and more to do with FAs unfamiliar with the 77W and/or maybe forgetting to let the ice cream warm up a bit.

I've made two 77W trips. Siting in 2L I overheard a lot of the FA's discussions in the galley. I also talked with some of the FA's about the new airframe. They are at this point long normally long haul FA's and are training on the new airframe. On my trips all the FA's were training and half of them were on their first flight on this airframe. It also doesn't help that the aisles in Business are more than a little narrow.

PTahCha Mar 1, 17 10:29 am

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 27971652)
Does anyone have experiences with the special meals in biz on p.s.? Bored of the usual, and contemplating trying the Asian, Hindu (both of which might be the same I suspect), or Muslim meals for maximum potential flavour. Any ideas on what I might be in for and whether or not it's worthwhile?

thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry mods - I asked this on the special meals thread, but didn't get much of a response, so hoping for better luck here.

I upgraded one of my colleagues and ordered him the Muslim meal. Confirmed with the purser that the special meal was boarded. The meal turned out to be curried lentils with a side of lentils as appetizer. According to him, it was delicious, but a lot of lentils.

They are changing up the menu items every month, so in theory the menu items should change.

cricketer Mar 1, 17 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level (Post 27971999)
My wife is (mostly) vegan and has called in advance and tried every vegetarian/vegan "special meal" option UA offers. She doesn't like any of them. When time permits, we buy food, either before the airport, or at the airport, and take it on the plane.

Ouch. To be fair, as much as I still get a thrill out of eating airline food, I'd be hard pressed to argue that I can't get something better to go on the ground.

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 27975564)
I upgraded one of my colleagues and ordered him the Muslim meal. Confirmed with the purser that the special meal was boarded. The meal turned out to be curried lentils with a side of lentils as appetizer. According to him, it was delicious, but a lot of lentils.

They are changing up the menu items every month, so in theory the menu items should change.

Delicious is a good endorsement! Sounds like a bit of a lentil overdose, but I can handle that for one meal. Was expecting the Muslim meal to be meat-based though.

safra1 Apr 10, 17 8:57 pm

Haven't flown this transcon in a while. Can someone confirm what service is provided in J for a 10pm departure from EWR for LAX? Will they hand out a menu?

findark Apr 10, 17 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by safra1 (Post 28158417)
Haven't flown this transcon in a while. Can someone confirm what service is provided in J for a 10pm departure from EWR for LAX? Will they hand out a menu?

A 10pm departure will have a hot plated snack (e.g. hamburger or calzone) served with a Godiva chocolate truffle, and then a cranberry muffin as an arrival service. There is only one choice for the snack, and I believe there is no menu.

NikoLGA Apr 10, 17 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by safra1 (Post 28158417)

Nope, you wonít get a menu, because there wonít be a meal. (There isnít for transcons after 9:01 pm)

You will likely get a small hot sandwich or a cold plate with cheese and charcuterie accompanied by a a truffle.

This is done to maximize resting time on-board, which is probably for the best.

If you want a meal, try doing a SDC to a earlier flight.

Amenity kits (and premium Saks bedding) will be passed out, however.

safra1 Apr 17, 17 8:48 pm

Btw.. flew LAX to EWR last week in J and after handing out menus and serving appetizers and entrees, they informed me that catering failed to properly stock the plane with dessert and pre-arrival snack. Are they kidding?

abbydancer Apr 18, 17 2:48 am

Originally Posted by safra1 (Post 28193502)
Btw.. flew LAX to EWR last week in J and after handing out menus and serving appetizers and entrees, they informed me that catering failed to properly stock the plane with dessert and pre-arrival snack. Are they kidding?

I flew SFO-EWR and back in Business this weekend, and instead of the Sundae there was a cup of Hagan Daas vanilla on the way out and Mango Sorbet on the way back, both served with a cookie. The FA on the way out said it was a catering issue. The FA today said that apparently one of the Sundaes came with a piece of glass in it, not from a broken dessert cup, so they've suspended it. He didn't know what the ultimate outcome would be.

DrunkCargo Apr 30, 17 8:46 pm

Does p.s. SFO-EWR still serve sundaes? Just got some weird crappy cup of caramel frozen poopoo while she slowed the doubles to singles ...

Baze Apr 30, 17 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo (Post 28250089)
Does p.s. SFO-EWR still serve sundaes? Just got some weird crappy cup of caramel frozen poopoo while they slowed the doubles to singles ...

Ice cream has been pulled while they investigate occurrences of glass in the ice cream. There is another thread about it. Would put a link but can't find it right now.

WineCountryUA Apr 30, 17 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 28250096)
Ice cream has been pulled while they investigate occurrences of glass in the ice cream. There is another thread about it. Would put a link but can't find it right now.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...il-we-fix.html

DrunkCargo Apr 30, 17 9:42 pm

Ok, I'm not chomping on glass... but why only 1 double pdb buffalo trace, 1 double pre dinner, 1 single dinner, 1 single after dinner, 1 single after 2-stripe guy walks by and I ask? I said Dewar's white as a fallback.. and they're all like.. HUH?

Anyhow, still two hours on this craptastic UA 213. p.s.... ok...