FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

FlyerBeek May 11, 2022 11:03 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict (Post 34240657)
Wow, even on the 11:50pm flight?

One of the few enhancements to come out of COVID, since there's now no distinction between dinner and snack meals on domestic hub-to-hub mainline flights. Previously the premium transcon redeye snack was less substantial than a full meal. Even sub-3hr redeye hub-hub mid-cons (LAX-IAH or DEN-IAD, for example) now receive a full hot dinner service at 1am (pre-COVID they were snack baskets only in F).

-FlyerBeek

MatthewLAX May 11, 2022 11:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 34241219)
One of the few enhancements to come out of COVID, since there's now no distinction between dinner and snack meals on domestic hub-to-hub mainline flights. Previously the premium transcon redeye snack was less substantial than a full meal. Even sub-3hr redeye hub-hub mid-cons (LAX-IAH or DEN-IAD, for example) now receive a full hot dinner service at 1am (pre-COVID they were snack baskets only in F).

-FlyerBeek

Please don't remind Kirby of this.

CappuccinoAddict May 12, 2022 7:41 am

Very good to know! That is a fascinating development.

VWang1111 Oct 8, 2022 4:12 pm

Last flight from SFO to EWR and reverse as well provisioned the thicker Polaris Saks fifth avenue duvets rather than the paper thin tissue of a "light throw blanket". Hopefully it wasn't a miscater and definitely a much needed enhancement.

PTahCha Oct 8, 2022 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 34665564)
Last flight from SFO to EWR and reverse as well provisioned the thicker Polaris Saks fifth avenue duvets rather than the paper thin tissue of a "light throw blanket". Hopefully it wasn't a miscater and definitely a much needed enhancement.

I believe that is a planned change.

Colin Oct 8, 2022 4:20 pm

United should market this service as Polaris and grant access to the Polaris lounges in order to compete with American’s Flagship Lounge access and Delta’s new Delta One Lounge access. If Polaris lounge capacity is insufficient, limit transcon access to paid fares only.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 8, 2022 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 34665577)
United should market this service as Polaris and grant access to the Polaris lounges in order to compete with American’s Flagship Lounge access and Delta’s new Delta One Lounge access. If Polaris lounge capacity is insufficient, limit transcon access to paid fares only.

As discussed ad nauseum, the capacity does not exist

Colin Oct 8, 2022 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34665607)
As discussed ad nauseum, the capacity does not exist

United should market this service as Polaris and grant access to the Polaris lounges in order to compete with American’s Flagship Lounge access and Delta’s new Delta One Lounge access.
If Polaris lounge capacity is insufficient, limit transcon access to paid fares only.

LifetimeGS Oct 8, 2022 5:09 pm

still not enough capacity. Now there are periods where the Polaris lounge at EWR is at capacity

narvik Oct 8, 2022 6:04 pm

If Polaris lounge capacity is insufficient, limit transcon access to paid fares only.

United treats "paid" fares vs. "acquired through other means" in exactly rhe same way (for the most part), and I applaud them for that, and
hope they never veer away from that philosophy.

WineCountryUA Oct 8, 2022 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 34665746)

United treats "paid" fares vs. "acquired through other means" in exactly rhe same way (for the most part), and I applaud them for that, and
hope they never veer away from that philosophy..

Agree and even if they did make the distinction here, the vast majority are paid, so the distinct would have little mitigation.

ll22949 Oct 9, 2022 7:22 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 34665574)
I believe that is a planned change.

I hope so. I find the other blanket itchy and not long enough to cover me fully.

UA_Flyer Oct 10, 2022 5:16 am

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 34665564)

I'd like UA to use the same size of pillow on transcon Premium service as the one provided in the international Polaris cabin. The small pillows are usedless to me.

physioprof Oct 12, 2022 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34668859)
I'd like UA to use the same size of pillow on transcon Premium service as the one provided in the international Polaris cabin. The small pillows are usedless to me.

My favorite UA pillow is the gel one, which provides outstanding lower back support when sitting.

rtool Oct 14, 2022 7:10 pm

Flew PE E+ SFO-EWR 9pm departure
My expectations were low going in, so no complaints here
  • Got the one tray hot meal (choice of chicken vs. ravioli) + green salad + roll + cheesecake (no fruit, though)
  • Got croissant + Chobani yogurt cup before landing (IIRC, that's the same breakfast as I had in J on the same flight back in June 2022)
  • Thin blanket that I didn't use; no amenties kit or pillow
  • Liked the Premier access check in, and was able to get the orange tag on my checked bag