FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-ewr-bos-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

WineCountryUA Feb 16, 17 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis (Post 27919419)
.... When p.s was first introduced, there was only a small and noticeable Economy Plus section, ....

I think you mean to say it was 100% E+ --- no E-.

It was a bit smaller economy cabin, but still 72 seats and 40+% of the aircraft.

nycityny Feb 16, 17 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27919506)
I think you mean to say it was 100% E+ --- no E-.

It was a bit smaller economy cabin, but still 72 seats and 40+% of the aircraft.

Yes, but the economy cabin was small enough that it almost felt kind of intimate. 40+% of the plane is a lot less than 70+% or whatever it is on those 16BF seat planes. The drawback was the seat pitch was only a tight 34" vs the 36"-37" E+ is now.

CHOPCHOP767 Feb 16, 17 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny (Post 27919670)
Yes, but the economy cabin was small enough that it almost felt kind of intimate. 40+% of the plane is a lot less than 70+% or whatever it is on those 16BF seat planes. The drawback was the seat pitch was only a tight 34" vs the 36"-37" E+ is now.

I remember when PS was first rolled out, this was a pleasant trade off for losing the 762. However, like AA's more legroom throughout coach, it didn't last. Now the service is just a CO international 757, albeit with decent grub (at least IME). PS was truly special back in the day.

br2k Feb 27, 17 6:50 pm

How's P.S. in business/first overnight? I see a lot of space on the date I need to travel, the tradeoff is - I suffer during daytime in Y and sleep at home in my own bed, or fly later in J(or C? what is it) and sleep on a plane?

PsiFighter37 Feb 27, 17 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 27967314)
How's P.S. in business/first overnight? I see a lot of space on the date I need to travel, the tradeoff is - I suffer during daytime in Y and sleep at home in my own bed, or fly later in J(or C? what is it) and sleep on a plane?

Assuming you are looking at redeyes, so flying eastbound. I've done it in J a few times, and even so, it is miserable to get at best 4 hours of sleep. I would rather ride in Y earlier on (and the Y+ experience is pretty tolerable, IMO, as the seats haven't been slimlined yet) and sleep in my own bed. YMMV.

helvetic Feb 28, 17 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 27967373)
Assuming you are looking at redeyes, so flying eastbound. I've done it in J a few times, and even so, it is miserable to get at best 4 hours of sleep. I would rather ride in Y earlier on (and the Y+ experience is pretty tolerable, IMO, as the seats haven't been slimlined yet) and sleep in my own bed. YMMV.

I'd second that. I'd prefer to fly economy plus for a day-time flight vs. a red-eye in J.

PTahCha Feb 28, 17 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 27967314)

With lay-flat seats in J, it's tolerable with eyeshade, ear plugs, and noise cancellation headphones. However, it's a maximum of 4-5 hour nap. If you're OK with that short of sleep duration, then I say go for it.

cricketer Feb 28, 17 3:37 pm

Does anyone have experiences with the special meals in biz on p.s.? Bored of the usual, and contemplating trying the Asian, Hindu (both of which might be the same I suspect), or Muslim meals for maximum potential flavour. Any ideas on what I might be in for and whether or not it's worthwhile?

thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry mods - I asked this on the special meals thread, but didn't get much of a response, so hoping for better luck here.

findark Feb 28, 17 5:09 pm

Not quite sure where to post this, but I noticed that in a couple of markets (SFO/WAS notably I've seen so far), United dumped a bunch of fares ending in -KN. They are First fares which do not block p.s. flights or other flatbeds, and generally allow for booking codes Z/D/C at a fraction of the nonstop price.

Don't have too much time to look into this right now, but someone else might want to sleuth around. This allows things like SFO-EWR-DCA in D for $851 ow ai (QAA4DFKN SFO to DCA). I'm very, very unclear if it was on purpose.

Kacee Feb 28, 17 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 27971977)
I'm very, very unclear if it was on purpose.

Unlikely. Book while you can.

Phil Level Feb 28, 17 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 27971652)
Does anyone have experiences with the special meals in biz on p.s.? Bored of the usual, and contemplating trying the Asian, Hindu (both of which might be the same I suspect), or Muslim meals for maximum potential flavour. Any ideas on what I might be in for and whether or not it's worthwhile?

thanks in advance!

p.s. Sorry mods - I asked this on the special meals thread, but didn't get much of a response, so hoping for better luck here.

My wife is (mostly) vegan and has called in advance and tried every vegetarian/vegan "special meal" option UA offers. She doesn't like any of them. When time permits, we buy food, either before the airport, or at the airport, and take it on the plane.

DELee Feb 28, 17 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level (Post 27971999)
My wife is (mostly) vegan and has called in advance and tried every vegetarian/vegan "special meal" option UA offers. She doesn't like any of them. When time permits, we buy food, either before the airport, or at the airport, and take it on the plane.

Sadly, your post made recall the "Bad is Bad" lyrics from Huey Lewis and the News:
Across the street, a neon sign
All you can eat for a dollar ninety nine
Aww, that old stew is the baddest in the land
But one dollar's worth was all that I could stand

But sometimes, sometimes bad is bad
Cool is a rule, but, sometimes, bad is bad
David

JK-SFO Feb 28, 17 8:47 pm

L O N G Duration of Meal Service

Haven't been on PS in a few years. Just a few days ago, flew EWR to SFO in J, and the ice cream sundae was served as we were flying over western Iowa. I think it was 2 hours 45 minutes after take off by the time the meal service was completely done (and there wasn't turbulence that delayed service, in fact the seat belt sign was off at 23,000 feet).

Now - this was on the fantastic new 777-300 with the new Polaris seats, which had everyone captivated. I'm sure the crew was getting used to the galleys. All of us onboard were enthralled with the aircraft, by the way.

What I'm wondering is about the number of FAs staffing these flights. Are they crewed at FAA minimums? To make the service work, I really think there should be additional FAs above this. I believe this was the case a long time ago (like early 2000s) and the service was a lot quicker back then!

JK-SFO

764toHI Feb 28, 17 9:09 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with staffing levels and more to do with FAs unfamiliar with the 77W and/or maybe forgetting to let the ice cream warm up a bit.

Originally Posted by JK-SFO (Post 27972675)
Haven't been on PS in a few years. Just a few days ago, flew EWR to SFO in J, and the ice cream sundae was served as we were flying over western Iowa. I think it was 2 hours 45 minutes after take off by the time the meal service was completely done (and there wasn't turbulence that delayed service, in fact the seat belt sign was off at 23,000 feet).

Now - this was on the fantastic new 777-300 with the new Polaris seats, which had everyone captivated. I'm sure the crew was getting used to the galleys. All of us onboard were enthralled with the aircraft, by the way.

What I'm wondering is about the number of FAs staffing these flights. Are they crewed at FAA minimums? To make the service work, I really think there should be additional FAs above this. I believe this was the case a long time ago (like early 2000s) and the service was a lot quicker back then!

JK-SFO

Mel Grant Feb 28, 17 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 27971071)
I'd second that. I'd prefer to fly economy plus for a day-time flight vs. a red-eye in J.

I third that!!