Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 21, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS, UA MM, SPG Plat (100)
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes I think that's right. There is likely also a factor of DL being able to extract a premium from its customers.
That's very curious United style wording--probably similar to what Kirby would use.

I would rephrase that as "Delta provides superior service for which customers are willing to pay extra."
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
@crankyflyer on twitter is reporting that AA no longer has the A321T (with F) on LAX-BOS after this september.
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:05 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Did AA provide full flagship first service on those planes, or were they simply doing what United is/was doing where they have lie flats, but otherwise domestic first service?
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:05 am

Is it just me or are fares between SFO-BOS much higher than SFO-EWR? I'm looking 4-5 months out and seeing RT economy fares in the $600 range for SFO-BOS. DL and AS fares are in the $300-$400 range. Any changes the UA fares will go down?
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by az22 View Post
Is it just me or are fares between SFO-BOS much higher than SFO-EWR? I'm looking 4-5 months out and seeing RT economy fares in the $600 range for SFO-BOS. DL and AS fares are in the $300-$400 range. Any changes the UA fares will go down?
EWR looks a tad higher, but the bottom of both fare tables is a little below $150 one way in Economy. In Business, BOS is much cheaper.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:20 am

Premier 1K Unable to Upgrade to Business/First

Hi,

On my SFO to EWR flight, I was told that despite being a Premier 1K, purchasing a G class fare (regular economy), and having plenty of open First/Business seats, that I would not be able to get a complimentary upgrade nor would I be put on the upgrade list as the seats are "lie-flats". I would have to use points or an award ticket in order to secure an upgrade.

This is the first time I have ever heard of this. Has anyone else come across this issue? When I was a Delta Diamond member, I would receive complimentary upgrades on this route to Delta One without any issues.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
United does not offer complimentary upgrades on domestic routes with regularly scheduled lie-flat service (EWR-SFO/LAX, BOS-SFO, and Hawaii to anything other than SFO or LAX). This is different from the recent change by Delta to offer such upgrades.

However, as a Premier 1K you should have at least 4 RPU certificates which are good for little better than upgrading SFO-EWR. Most of us find that it is nearly impossible to exhaust our RPUs solely on flights which do not offer CPUs, because even instrument upgrades rarely clear.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Hypeman123 View Post
Hi,
On my SFO to EWR flight, I was told that despite being a Premier 1K, purchasing a G class fare (regular economy), and having plenty of open First/Business seats, that I would not be able to get a complimentary upgrade nor would I be put on the upgrade list as the seats are "lie-flats". I would have to use points or an award ticket in order to secure an upgrade.
SFO-EWR has been instrument-only (no complimentary premier upgrades) for years. May I ask why you did not apply a RPU?

And yes, this is different from how DL handles these flights.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
From this thread: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences
Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.
And UA upgrade page also makes it pretty clear: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:26 am

SFO-EWR has been instrument-only (no complimentary premier upgrades) for years. May I ask why you did not apply a RPU?

And yes, this is different from how DL handles these flights.
I did not apply an RPU because I am completing a status match challenge (Delta Diamond to United 1K). Once this flight is complete (SFO-EWR-SFO), I will be a real 1K member and receive the GPUs and RPUs. Thanks for clarifying!

Originally Posted by findark View Post
United does not offer complimentary upgrades on domestic routes with regularly scheduled lie-flat service (EWR-SFO/LAX, BOS-SFO, and Hawaii to anything other than SFO or LAX). This is different from the recent change by Delta to offer such upgrades.

However, as a Premier 1K you should have at least 4 RPU certificates which are good for little better than upgrading SFO-EWR. Most of us find that it is nearly impossible to exhaust our RPUs solely on flights which do not offer CPUs, because even instrument upgrades rarely clear.
Gotcha. Thanks for listing out the other routes as well!

Thanks for the links! I am new to United (currently doing a Status Match Challenge from Delta Diamond to 1K). This is very helpful.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 19 at 11:33 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:31 am

Gotcha. Thanks for listing out the other routes as well!
It's worth noting that is specifically those routes, and not "any lie-flat equipped aircraft". Believe it's basically the same as DL with domestic D1 except UA did not adopt the 24-hour upgrade rule that DL did, and the front cabin on long-haul Hawaii flying is still branded "United First".

If you happen to find a lie-flat aircraft on e.g. SFO-ORD or SFO-IAD, you can still get a free upgrade there, although usually you'll be too far down the list.
windhund likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:35 am

...Once this flight is complete (SFO-EWR-SFO), I will be a real 1K member and receive the GPUs and RPUs...
...not that they're likely make a difference at most popular flying days/times on that route. You do get a free food and booze item in coach.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The truly shocking thing here is there were empty J seats on SFO-EWR.
Boraxo, findark and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Hypeman123! And welcome to United!
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:50 am

The truly shocking thing here is there were empty J seats on SFO-EWR.
It's not clear to me when OP's flight is/was..

Search this Thread